Speed limit

Old June 24th 04, 10:13 AM
Dave Larrington

Default Speed limit

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I believe a rev counter has been proved good enough, because it (sort
of) indicates speed.

I've seen a photo of the interior of Nick Mason's Ferrari 250 GTO, which has
a second tachometer fitted, with Dymo numbers to indicate approximate speeds
in 4th and 5th. Which apparently pleaseth Plod.

Not sure about the km speedo business, though. AIUI legalising grey imports
includes changing the speedo to one which reads in miles as well.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old June 24th 04, 10:13 AM
Dave Larrington

Peter Amey wrote:
I have driven a completely road legal car* that lacked a speedometer.
Another driver in the same car received a speeding ticket for doing
36mph in a 30 limit, an event commemorated on a Punch front cover.

*A 1902 James and Brown should anyone be interested.

Bo?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old June 24th 04, 10:32 AM
Jose Marques

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Tony Raven wrote:

That's your problem. Your inability to measure your speed no more
exempts you if you break the speed limit than your inability to measure
you blood alcohol exempts you if you exceed the drink driving limit.

Surely if you know how much you drank then there is a reasonable
expectation that you'd know if you were over the limit or not? If you
have half a pint you can reasonably assume you're below the limit. If you
have four then it would be difficult for you to argue that you would be
under the limit. I don't see how one can be expected to know ones speed
with any sort of accuracy.

--
Jose Marques

Old June 24th 04, 10:44 AM
Nathaniel Porter

"Gawnsoft" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:20:23 +0100, "Nathaniel Porter"
wrote (more or less):
I am far from certain about this, but I recall reading somewhere that

there
is no obligation for cars to have speedometers.

Motor Vehicle Construction and Use Regulations require a functional
speedometer to be fitted for a car to get certified as roadworthy.

OK, its probably just that cars which predate this requirement are aren't
required to be modified to meet the requirement.

Old June 24th 04, 11:00 AM
Peter Amey

Dave Larrington wrote:
Peter Amey wrote:

[snip]

*A 1902 James and Brown should anyone be interested.

Bo?

None other!

Old June 24th 04, 01:06 PM
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Jose Marques wrote:
have four then it would be difficult for you to argue that you would be
under the limit. I don't see how one can be expected to know ones speed
with any sort of accuracy.

I can't believe that anyone who rides a bike cannot ride in such a
manner as to be certain they are riding at under 20mph. They may do
that by riding at 10mph, of course.

ian
Old June 24th 04, 01:07 PM
Gawnsoft

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:32:22 +0100, Jose Marques
wrote (more or less):

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Tony Raven wrote:

That's your problem. Your inability to measure your speed no more
exempts you if you break the speed limit than your inability to measure
you blood alcohol exempts you if you exceed the drink driving limit.

Surely if you know how much you drank then there is a reasonable
expectation that you'd know if you were over the limit or not?

If you know what you're metabolisation rate for alcohol is.

Most folk haven't had themselves measured.

If you
have half a pint you can reasonably assume you're below the limit. If you
have four then it would be difficult for you to argue that you would be
under the limit. I don't see how one can be expected to know ones speed
with any sort of accuracy.

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old June 24th 04, 03:24 PM
Graeme

"Dave Larrington" wrote in
:

I've seen a photo of the interior of Nick Mason's Ferrari 250 GTO,
which has a second tachometer fitted, with Dymo numbers to indicate
approximate speeds in 4th and 5th. Which apparently pleaseth Plod.

I wonder if that's the same one that Plod advised my uncle to, ahem,
"borrow" and told him exactly where it was parked. This was under the
strict understanding that the length of the borrowing was only as long as
PF's debt to his company existed (he used to do rather a lot of work for
them back in the 70s). I do know it was a Ferrari, but NM does have rather
a few of those.

Graeme
Old June 24th 04, 03:35 PM
Dave S

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:13:34 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:

Peter Amey wrote:
I have driven a completely road legal car* that lacked a speedometer.
Another driver in the same car received a speeding ticket for doing
36mph in a 30 limit, an event commemorated on a Punch front cover.

*A 1902 James and Brown should anyone be interested.

Bo?

Small world, eh?
Mr Larrington, how the devil are you?
--
David Shepherd
Wymondham,
Old June 24th 04, 06:49 PM
Danny Colyer

Dave Larrington wrote:
Not sure about the km speedo business, though. AIUI legalising grey imports
includes changing the speedo to one which reads in miles as well.

My grey motorbike had 3 stickers on the speedo, marking (IIRC) 30mph,
70mph and either 40 or 50 mph. Apparently that's legal.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/