Crank Stiffness Tests???

Old October 18th 05, 11:46 PM

Default Crank Stiffness Tests???

hi, anyone know of any good crank stiffness tests out there that have
been done to compare newer road cranks? with all these light weight
carbon models coming out i'd be interested to see how stiff they are.
thanks!

Old October 19th 05, 02:56 PM
Sandy

Dans le message de
oups.com,
Qui si parla Campagnolo a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
wrote:
hi, anyone know of any good crank stiffness tests out there that have
been done to compare newer road cranks? with all these light weight
carbon models coming out i'd be interested to see how stiff they are.
thanks!

Try to remember that crank and BB stiffness tests were accomplished by
a gorilla machine that exerted FAR more force than the mere human can,
even greater than big boy sprinters like mario, and Chalo...

Gee, Peter, I am trying to remember. I had to look it up. The figures I
quoted from Le Cycle magazine's test were far from extraordinary. I wonder
where your tests were published, so I could get a look at them. You didn't
make that statement up, by any chance ???

If they used forces like those exerted by the average, 45 yr old
cyclist, then the results would have been inconclusive and not able to
be used by the marketeers.

So I guess you're saying that *any* crank is good enough. Even cranks from
The Republic ?

On another front - I just got a pair of Aksiums (Mavic's new cheapo wheels)
for winter use, and they have around 1000 km on them already. Excellent
wheels, IMHO. What would you have cooked up for me for the price of 160
euros ?? Yes, bought at the local store, not by mail or e-mail.
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine

La vie, c'est comme une bicyclette,
il faut avancer pour ne pas perdre l'équilibre.
-- Einstein, A.

Old October 19th 05, 07:05 PM

I'd find it hard to believe that there is no measureable difference,
many of them are totally different in construction. Kind of like most
bike frames are similar in shape, but they all sure aren't similar in
stiffness! Anyone know of a web link or anything at all that has
published numbers from a legitimate test? I think if we had one to
look at, we could figure out how much of a performance difference
that's going to have. Even a tiny amount of difference might add up to
quite a bunch of seconds in something like a climb or time
trial..........wonder if Shimano has numbers anywhere on their 9spd vs.
10spd cranks??????

Old October 19th 05, 07:20 PM

Peter Chisholm writes:

Hi, anyone know of any good crank stiffness tests out there that
have been done to compare newer road cranks? With all these light
weight carbon models coming out I'd be interested to see how stiff
they are.

Try to remember that crank and BB stiffness tests were accomplished
by a gorilla machine that exerted FAR more force than the mere human
can, even greater than big boy sprinters like Mario, and Chalo...

If they used forces like those exerted by the average, 45 yr old
cyclist, then the results would have been inconclusive and not able
to be used by the marketeers.

I take it this is in the line of frame flex and lost energy. Don't
worry about crank stiffness, worry about crank failure, which can be a
fatal flaw. If a left crank breaks while pedaling in the standing
position adjacent to a ready-mix truck, for instance, the rider WILL
take a dive under the wheels of that truck if he is not lucky enough
to crash into its tires which is also not a benign collision.

Crank manufacturers are not addressing the principal failure modes of
current cranks, which are in bending crosswise to the bicycle and that
occur at the bottom of the stroke and especially the breakout of pedal
eyes. Besides that, Campagnolo is still finishing their Record cranks
with a, more than cosmetic, milky anodizing that causes crack
initiation.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 19th 05, 07:59 PM
Matt O'Toole

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:20:04 +0000, jobst.brandt wrote:

Don't
worry about crank stiffness, worry about crank failure, which can be a
fatal flaw. If a left crank breaks while pedaling in the standing
position adjacent to a ready-mix truck, for instance, the rider WILL
take a dive under the wheels of that truck if he is not lucky enough to
crash into its tires which is also not a benign collision.

Crank manufacturers are not addressing the principal failure modes of
current cranks, which are in bending crosswise to the bicycle and that
occur at the bottom of the stroke and especially the breakout of pedal
eyes. Besides that, Campagnolo is still finishing their Record cranks
with a, more than cosmetic, milky anodizing that causes crack
initiation.

Well, they probably don't get too many complaints -- most people don't
ride anywhere near the number of miles it takes to break a crank. Those
who do are likely to be sponsored riders who get new equipment all the
time anyway.

Note that these days one can buy a whole new crank w/ chainrings, on sale,
for less than the cost of replacement chainrings from a bike shop. An
engineer from a large bike company once said to me, "it's probably better
that way." (Actually he was even more concerned about BB spindles, and
thus pro-cartridge.) And no, I ain't tellin' who.

So of course you're right, but I can't believe you really think they'd
ever admit it. I know you weren't born yesterday. Maybe it's wishful,
"thinking out loud," but still...

Matt O.
Old October 19th 05, 08:05 PM
bfd

Jobst states:

Besides that, Campagnolo is still finishing their Record cranks
with a, more than cosmetic, milky anodizing that causes crack
initiation

When you state "cosmetic, milky anodizing", may I presum you speaking
of Campagnolo's aluminum cranks, not the carbon cranks. Does this same
this same anodizing appear on other Campy cranks like the Centaur and
Veloce aluminum crank like he

http://www.yellowjersey.org/CENCOMPC.JPG

CRANK SAVER! [email protected] Techniques 1 May 21st 05 07:58 PM
ultegra octalink: tick Tick TICK TICK TICK! H. Guy Techniques 44 February 2nd 05 01:56 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Splined hub and crank maintainence gerblefranklin Unicycling 14 April 16th 04 12:32 AM
Adjustable crank idea onewheeldave Unicycling 93 February 13th 04 10:34 PM