I don't understand - what is this for?

Old August 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Default I don't understand - what is this for?

Marz wrote:
On Aug 6, 10:34 pm, Doug Taylor wrote:
For those who haven't tried flying around single track on a light,
stiff bike, climbing while standing, actually picking a line, then
what can I say?

I love this BS you get from people who claim riding a fully rigid
single speed mtb and 'actually picking a line' somehow makes you a
better rider over all.

I love this BS you get from people who think they can learn to ride
properly on an FS without ever needing to learn how to pick a line.

F*(king crap, it makes you better rider on a
fully rigid single speed mtb and that's it. The lines you take riding
rigid could be completely different to the lines you can take riding a
full sus and I'm not even saying faster just different. Ahh, but they
say there's greater skill required to navigate a rigid bike through
rough terrain as opposed to just riding over it with a full sus, more
BS. It's just as hard to spot a take off and landing zone over a rock
garden at 20mph as it is to pick the smoothest and faster line through
the same rock garden at 12mph.

So? That smoother and faster line at 12mph will still be smoother and
faster at 20 mph. Why beat your bike and body unnecessarily?

Frickin' cushy FS apologists crack me up.

Greg
--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old August 7th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike

On Aug 7, 10:26 am, Marz wrote:

It's just as hard to spot a take off and landing zone over a rock
garden at 20mph as it is to pick the smoothest and faster line through
the same rock garden at 12mph.

It's true that suspension allows for more extreme, faster riding. But
I don't see very many FS riders launching over rock gardens, outside
of downhill races. I see them banging through clumsily, hitting just
about everything, and bailed out by their shocks. If you learn to ride
that stuff on a rigid you'll be a lot faster and smoother than those
who learned to ride with suspension.

Robert

Old August 7th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Marz

On Aug 7, 11:39 am, "G.T." wrote:
Marz wrote:
On Aug 6, 10:34 pm, Doug Taylor wrote:
For those who haven't tried flying around single track on a light,
stiff bike, climbing while standing, actually picking a line, then
what can I say?

I love this BS you get from people who claim riding a fully rigid
single speed mtb and 'actually picking a line' somehow makes you a
better rider over all.

I love this BS you get from people who think they can learn to ride
properly on an FS without ever needing to learn how to pick a line.

Please define 'to ride properly'. If someone starts out riding a FS
and becomes quite skilled at riding a FS are they not riding that bike
'properly'. Why should they need to ride rigid if they're never going
to ride a rigid bike. You don't think you need to pick lines while
riding a FS?

F*(king crap, it makes you better rider on a
fully rigid single speed mtb and that's it. The lines you take riding
rigid could be completely different to the lines you can take riding a
full sus and I'm not even saying faster just different. Ahh, but they
say there's greater skill required to navigate a rigid bike through
rough terrain as opposed to just riding over it with a full sus, more
BS. It's just as hard to spot a take off and landing zone over a rock
garden at 20mph as it is to pick the smoothest and faster line through
the same rock garden at 12mph.

So? That smoother and faster line at 12mph will still be smoother and
faster at 20 mph. Why beat your bike and body unnecessarily?

So you saying that for any given section of trail you can hit it as
hard and fast riding rigid as FS, more BS.

And it's riding a rigid bike that's going to beat your bike and body
up, not riding a FS.

Frickin' cushy FS apologists crack me up.

I was sayin' that different bikes suit different riding styles and for
the way I like to ride, a rigid would be useless and a SS not as much
fun. Maybe I'm negating my 25 years of off roading, going from fully
rigid, to hardtail, to FS, but I can't put my finger on any attribute
of my riding today that came from riding a rigid bike. In fact I can
think of a couple of things I had to unlearn to ride FS, like standing
while climbing over rough terrain. Riding a SS track bike did help in
developing my sprinting and a high cadence which I now maximise
through the use of gears.

SS rigid bikes are niche not hardcore, better or faster than other
mountain bikes.

Old August 7th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Michael Press

In article
,
wrote:

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...he-Buysse-.jpg

This photograph is reversed.

--
Michael Press
Old August 7th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Michael Press

In article
.com
,

[...]
Get a life, fool. Racing doesn't mean ****.

What do you mean?

"I went down to the demonstration,
To get my fair share of abuse."

--
Michael Press
Old August 7th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Michael Press

In article
.com,

JD wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:41 am, Doug Taylor wrote:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:41:17 +0930, Michael Warner

wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 02:07:06 -0700, JD wrote:
Sounds like you ride with punks and poseurs.

No, I ride with A and B-grade vet racers on their

training rides, which
they say are often tougher than their races.

You sound like an idiot, and a fairly slow one.

Actually, he's a SS riding mountain biker from amb

caught in a
cross-posting cultural war with roadies from rbt and

rbm.

No, just decrying all of the assholes who think that racing and racers
are the be all to end all in bicycling. **** them and the EPO drugged
horses they rode in on.

I think mountain bikers are ready for the big time.
Ought to petition to create rec.bicycles.attitude.

--
Michael Press

The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter.
-- Samuel Spade
Old August 7th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Fred Clydesdale

In article ,
Doug Taylor wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 18:33:57 -0400, Fred Clydesdale
wrote:

personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

You do get that single and fixie are not synonymous?

sorry. i should have been more clear. i meant to say:

personally, i've never gotten the rationale behind fixies,
which are a subset of singlespeed bikes in which the driving
gear does not freewheel but is locked to the hub in such a way
as to require that the pedals are moving at any time the bike is
moving. further, the idea of a singlespeed mtb seems exceedingly
impractical, given the wide range of terrain one might encounter
on a typical offroad ride. while a singlespeed with a freewheel
may be slightly more practical (than a fixed-gear bicycle), it
still seems considerably less useful than a modern, multi-gear
bicycle.

(application of emoticons as required.)
Old August 7th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:47:03 -0700, JD wrote:

On Aug 6, 7:35 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:53:04 -0700, JD wrote:
On Aug 4, 6:02 pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Aug 4, 7:45 pm, JD wrote:

On Aug 4, 3:33 pm, Fred Clydesdale wrote:

personally, i've never gotten the whole single/fixie thing, and
a singlespeed mtb seems beyond useless.

We can't all be closed-minded dumbasses.

i pass at least 5 fixies
a week on the various hills of my weekday ride, never had things
happen the other way around. and i'm a CLYDESDALE, for heaven's
sake. i'm carrying 3 pounds more bike and 20 pounds more of me
up those hills.

C'mon out and ride with me sometime. I'll show you just how
inefficient singlespeed bikes are. Your weekday ride sounds like it's
loaded with punks and poseurs.

JD 225lbs and can still kick your ass

No one talks smack quite like a SS or fixie freak.....

If you think it's unsubstantiated smack, keep kidding yourself.

JD

Dear JD,

Are the single-speed riders in these pictures punks or poseurs? Their
successors were much, much faster with derailleurs.

They include Lapize, Albini, Thys, Cristophe, Scieur, Buysse, and
others, early giants of bicycling who couldn't even ride their
single-speeds all the way up the Tour de France passes, much less keep
up with contemporary riders who climbed the same passes with
derailleurs.

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1910L-Lap...

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1910L-Lap...

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1910L-Lap...

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1912-si-c...

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1912-lead...

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1913--Des...

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1913-6%b0...

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t011/1913-Thys...

You can enjoy the details in context he

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...story1910.html

***

"Before derailleurs, even the great ones would have to walk their
bikes. Here Scieur walks his bike up the Galibier in stage 11."

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t02/1921-11th-...

***

"Buysse in Hell. Here he pushes his bike up the Tourmalet."

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdf%...t02/1926-Buyss...

After the Tour de France allowed derailleurs, single-speeds vanished,
and so did pictures of the peloton pushing on foot up the passes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Get a life, fool. Racing doesn't mean ****.

JD

Dear JD,

Are you claiming that you'd pedal your single speed up the passes that
routinely defeated the single-speed racers in the early Tour de
France, but not the tourists enjoying the outing?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 7th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Marz wrote:
On Aug 7, 11:39 am, "G.T." wrote:

So? That smoother and faster line at 12mph will still be smoother and
faster at 20 mph. Why beat your bike and body unnecessarily?

So you saying that for any given section of trail you can hit it as
hard and fast riding rigid as FS, more BS.

No, I'm not saying that at all. If one has learned to pick lines on a
rigid bike he will continue to pick those lines on the FS resulting in
more comfort and less beating of their bike at greater speeds where a
beginner on an FS will pick lines that are only as comfortable as necessary.

And it's riding a rigid bike that's going to beat your bike and body
up, not riding a FS.

No chit.

Frickin' cushy FS apologists crack me up.

I was sayin' that different bikes suit different riding styles and for
the way I like to ride, a rigid would be useless and a SS not as much
fun. Maybe I'm negating my 25 years of off roading,

Ooooh, your dick is 19% bigger than mine! As an adult I've only been
riding off-road bicycles for 21 years. Unless you count the rigid
minibike I started on 41 years ago at 3 years old then in that case my
dick is way bigger than yours.

Greg