I don't understand - what is this for?

Old August 8th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Marz

Default I don't understand - what is this for?

On Aug 7, 8:25 pm, Doug Taylor wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:26:19 -0000, Marz
wrote:

I love this BS you get from people who claim riding a fully rigid
single speed mtb and 'actually picking a line' somehow makes you a
better rider over all.

Are you responding to ME? HELLO!

Sort of, I may have extrapolated a 'better' from your phase 'actually
picking a line' and I guess I was really ranting off at alot of
general comments you see, all over the web and mags, about how riding
a ss and/or rigid can make you a better rider.

My shrink says I'm doing much better these days with my anger
mangement. I'm looking forward to our next session once the miserable
f&(k gets out of hospital.

Old August 8th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Doug Taylor

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:48:01 -0000, Marz
wrote:

My shrink says I'm doing much better these days with my anger
mangement. I'm looking forward to our next session once the miserable
f&(k gets out of hospital.

While we're on the subject of competition, your anger management
issues don't hold a candle to mine. I actually take medication to
keep me flying off the handle.

2004: Dr. to me: "You're going to stroke out if you don't calm down.
I know you're not depressed, but his lexapro will help your anger
issues."

2007: Me to Dr.: "I've had no road rage in 3 years, but found out
that my 20 pound weight gain over this period and gut hanging over my
belt, despite all the riding, skiing and skating I do, is because of
the friggin lexapro. And that ****ES ME OFF!"

Ya can't win.

Which is why the anonymity of usenet is a great release. Flame away
and hope that some true whack job (and there are more than a few)
doesn't track you down in real time and blow away your family...

Old August 8th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Duncan wrote:
"Doug Taylor" wrote in message
A fixie mountain bike does sound fairly insane, sort of an ego trip
for bored muscle heads. But that is not the subject of this thread,
which is single speed, with freewheel. Different animal.

Harsh, but fair...
Racing a fixie offroad can be pretty tough, but racing's not about taking it
easy. Plus it gives the commentators something to talk about. I was pretty
stoked a few weeks ago to win my first Dirt Crit in A-grade on my fixie but
that was mainly due to most of the Elite riders taking it easy over winter.

Congrats. Vive la différence!!!!!!!!!!

Greg
--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old August 8th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Clive George

"Doug Taylor" wrote in message

While we're on the subject of competition, your anger management
issues don't hold a candle to mine. I actually take medication to
keep me flying off the handle.

And I always thought the SS scene was all laid back and relaxed n'all :-)

cheers,
clive

Old August 8th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
A Muzi

JD wrote:
Get this dickhead, RACING DOESN'T MEAN ****.

"Michael Warner" wrote:
Translation: "I WOULD GET DROPPED IN UNDER A MINUTE"

G.T. wrote:
Even if that were the case RACING STILL DOESN'T MEAN ****.

A Muzi wrote:
OK, then how do we know who's fastest?
c'mon, 'racing' in all its forms is very human. Bikes, cash, SAT scores,
poker, whatever.

Doug Taylor wrote:
Again, I think we have a "failure to communicate" and a values
conflict between amb and rbt culture.

Of course racing and competing is inherent in human nature. But the
categories of faster, stronger, better, etc., have no inherent
priority: the are merely value judgments. Either they make a
difference to you, or they don't.

Our mountain biking SS rider doesn't measure his worth by comparing
himself to the abilities of others, regardless of which side of any
equation he may be on in terms of strength or skill (and he might
REALLY be "faster, stronger, better"). Riding for him is not a
competition; it is an activity to be enjoyed in itself.

"I ride my bike to ride my bike" - Zen proverb.

Furthermore, when you add to the mix that virtually ALL professional
and world class athletic competitions are tainted, if not thoroughly
discredited, by doping in all its myriad forms, then the value
judgments of faster, stronger, better, lose all legitimacy and even
relevance.
A rider who rides to enjoy the ride for itself could care less about
which doped rider on which dope (or not) is faster, stronger, better
than which other doped riders (or not).
Hence, RACING DOESN'T MEAN ****.

Well said. My reply was flippant, perhaps the humor didn't work well.
Yes some people find a challenge in every bit of human discourse. I'm
with you personally, I ride my bike to ride my bike.

p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 8th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Aug 6, 8:06 am, Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Aug 4, 1:16 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"

""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com" wrote:

What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

To think I missed this flamewar!

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/articl...egory=web_only

Ride what you want. Life is good.

CC

It's like the yule log. Looks hot, no heat, and I've got my feel up on
the ottoman.

"he got a gallon of
gas in a can, drove home, doused
everything in the house, torched it
parked across the street laughing
watching it burn, all Halloween
orange and chimney red
then Frank put on a top forty station
got on the Hollywood Freeway
headed north
Never could stand that dog"

/s

Old August 8th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Kerry Montgomery

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 6, 8:06 am, Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Aug 4, 1:16 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"

""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com" wrote:

What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

To think I missed this flamewar!

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/articl...egory=web_only

Ride what you want. Life is good.

CC

It's like the yule log. Looks hot, no heat, and I've got my feel up on
the ottoman.

Scott,
And one should take a feel up wherever one can get it!
Kerry

Old August 9th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Doug Taylor

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:49:41 -0500, A Muzi
wrote:

p.s. Actually some Zen Master or just Grant's article in RR?

Who knows? :-)

I like this version:

Quote:
And this one shows up on the internet as a "Zen Proverb." God
knows where it really comes from, but even anonymous it's a good one:

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market,
riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had
dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your
bicycles?"
The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of
potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow
old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."
The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass
by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student,
"Your eyes are open, and you see the world."
The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to
chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third
student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."
The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with
all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth
student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."
The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The
teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "Ahh.... I am
your student!"
http://tucorides.blogspot.com/2006/0...ng-quotes.html

Old August 9th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Marz

wrote:

[...]

"I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." Nice and so true. I don't
commute to work by bike (though maybe I should), I don't go out and
ride somewhere on the weekends, the somewhere doesn't matter, I don't
ride for exercise as I actually exercise so I can ride (faster,
further, longer, etc).

Old August 9th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" ""sunsetss0003\"@invalida .com"
wrote:

See http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007/mountain/69er.html.

Is the bigger front wheel to better roll over obstacles, or is it
just a demented fashion statement? Conversely, does the smaller rear
wheel provide any real advantage?

Back in the day, Charlie Cunningham built MTBs with a smaller rear
wheel- IIRC 20" rear and 26" front. Many dirt motorbikes have a smaller
rear wheel. I have no idea why. Maybe Carl Fogel does, he used to ride
trials and the like.

What is the deal with single-speed anyway?

It's self-identification into a subset of a subset.

Are there prudish Trek dealers out there who will not carry this bike
because the name, or dealers who would be afraid of offending their
customers? Is the "69er" name meant to appeal to the BMX crowd who
buys products such as the "Snafu Rim Job" tires?

It's the marketing technique of trying to be hip by naming your product
with a vaguely prurient double entendre. Some marketing flack got a
bonus for that. It was funny back when Scot Nicol did it at Ibis (the
Toe Jam pump mounting peg, the Hand Job brake cable stop) but now it's
just passé. Big manufacturers are always behind the times and their
attempts to be hip are usually embarrassing.

Is the Waterloo, Wisconsin water supply contaminated with a parasite
that causes brain dysfunction?

No, it's an infestation of marketing idiots.

Who exactly is the target market for this bike?

People who want to look like they are riding an engineless motorcycle.

Yep. I always found Cove mountain bikes' names ridiculously juvenile and
will never buy one. Stiffee, Handjob, Hustler, Sanchez, G-Spot, Foreplay,
Playmate... I'm not kidding. If a teenage boy had 2K to drop on a bike,
that will probably be the bike. The same goes for Ellsworth and their
gothic marketing lifted off the corpse of Spooky Cycles.