Shimano compact crank: Torx driver for bolts, torque?

Old October 1st 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Crumm

Default Shimano compact crank: Torx driver for bolts, torque?

I'm chasing down a ticking noise in my drivetrain and want to make
sure my chainring bolts are tight.

It's a Shimano compact crankset, FC-6750.

Can anyone point me to three pieces of information:

1. What size Torx driver do I need for the chainring bolts?
2. What is the torque spec for the chainring bolts?
3. Any recommendation for a set of Torx drivers for my 1/4" drive
torque wrench?

Thanks.
Old October 1st 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 1 Oct, 22:23, Harry Crumm wrote:
I'm chasing down a ticking noise in my drivetrain and want to make
sure my chainring bolts are tight.

It's a Shimano compact crankset, FC-6750.

Can anyone point me to three pieces of information:

1. What size Torx driver do I need for the chainring bolts?
2. What is the torque spec for the chainring bolts?
3. Any recommendation for a set of Torx drivers for my 1/4" drive
torque wrench?

Thanks.

From the methode d'estructions.

Tightening torque:
12 - 16 N·m {106 - 139 in. lbs

Seems a bit much.
Old October 1st 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Harry Crumm wrote:

I'm chasing down a ticking noise in my drivetrain and want to make
sure my chainring bolts are tight.

It's a Shimano compact crankset, FC-6750.

Can anyone point me to three pieces of information:

1. What size Torx driver do I need for the chainring bolts?
2. What is the torque spec for the chainring bolts?
3. Any recommendation for a set of Torx drivers for my 1/4" drive
torque wrench?

Hardware stores in the USA typically sell them individually.

As for your ticking noise, use all your ingenuity and
powers of observation to track down the source of the
noise, and do not distract yourself tinkering with stuff.
Remember that the noise can come from anywhere.

--
Michael Press
Old October 2nd 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Crumm

On Oct 1, 5:40*pm, thirty-six wrote:

From the methode d'estructions.

Tightening torque:
12 - 16 N·m {106 - 139 in. lbs

Seems a bit much.

Can you tell me what "methode d'estructions" you are referencing, and
how to get a copy of this document?

The tech docs I've seen on the Shimano web site are not specific on
either the Torx driver or the torque.

Thanks.
Old October 2nd 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 2-10-2010 2:39, Harry Crumm schreef:
On Oct 1, 5:40 pm, wrote:

From the methode d'estructions.

Tightening torque:
12 - 16 N·m {106 - 139 in. lbs

Seems a bit much.

Can you tell me what "methode d'estructions" you are referencing, and
how to get a copy of this document?

The tech docs I've seen on the Shimano web site are not specific on
either the Torx driver or the torque.

Thanks.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0029-downloadFile.html/02%29%20Torque%20Specs.pdf

Torx 30.

Lou
Old October 2nd 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Crumm

On Oct 2, 3:53*am, Lou Holtman wrote:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_...

Torx 30.

Lou

Thanks, Lou.
Old October 3rd 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 2 Oct, 01:39, Harry Crumm wrote:
On Oct 1, 5:40*pm, thirty-six wrote:

From the methode d'estructions.

Tightening torque:
12 - 16 N·m {106 - 139 in. lbs

Seems a bit much.

Can you tell me what "methode d'estructions" you are referencing, and
how to get a copy of this document?

google - instructions FC-6750
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830671266.pdf
or Technical Service Instructions SI-1LJ0A-001

The tech docs I've seen on the Shimano web site are not specific on
either the Torx driver or the torque.

I dont see the fastener size but the torque requirement is clear,
"With the marked surface of the smaller
chainring facing away from the crank arm,
set the chainring so that the o mark is lined
up with the crank arm position.
Tightening torque:
12 - 16 N·m {106 - 139 in. lbs.}"

As I said seems a little high, more than a regular chainring fastening
torque. I don't know why, I am not familiar with it. Your suspicions
could well be warranted. It would be understandable if only regular
fastening torque was used, and so may be the cause of your noise.
Good luck.

Thanks.

Old October 3rd 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Crumm

On Oct 2, 1:43*pm, Ronko wrote:

Does the ticking occur at a certain spot in the crank revolution? Does
it occur at this spot regardless of what gear you are in, although it
may occur more readily with more pedaling force applied?

Yes and yes. The tick seems to emanate from the right (chainring)
side, between the top of the pedal stroke and 1/4 forward, regardless
of the gear, and only while standing.

If so then
it sounds like the cups need to be reinstalled and tightened more
than they are now.

Very possible.

Thanks.
Old October 3rd 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Harry Crumm

On Oct 3, 11:01*am, thirty-six wrote:

google - instructions FC-6750http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_1LJ0A_...
*or *Technical Service Instructions SI-1LJ0A-001

The tech docs I've seen on the Shimano web site are not specific on
either the Torx driver or the torque.

I dont see the fastener size but the torque requirement is clear,
"With the marked surface of the smaller
chainring facing away from the crank arm,
set the chainring so that the o mark is lined
up with the crank arm position.
Tightening torque:
12 - 16 N·m {106 - 139 in. lbs.}"

As I said seems a little high, more than a regular chainring fastening
torque. *I don't know why, I am not familiar with it. *Your suspicions
could well be warranted. *It would be understandable if only regular
fastening torque was used, and so may be the cause of your noise.
Good luck.

Many thanks for the reference.

Before tightening the bolts, I will try to determine their current
tightness with a torque wrench. This will give me the general ballpark
for their current tightness, and I'll compare this reading to the
specs in the documents that you and Lou referenced. (It seems unlikely
that they are all significantly loose. It seems more likely that one
or two bolts might be a bit looser than the others.) Not a scientific
procedure, of course. I wish Shimano had an email address to send
these kinds of questions to.