Cyclist damaged car because driver hooted

Old April 4th 12, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
jnugent

Default Sustrans says Boris Johnson intent on bringing London "to a standstill"

On 03/04/2012 21:16, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:23:41 +0100,
wrote:

On 03/04/2012 20:19, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:31:22 +0100,
wrote:

The Hilton to Canary Wharf Ferry is charged;

The what?

The Hilton to Canary Wharf Ferry.
http://g.co/maps/sbrzj

Extraordinary.

The hotel operates it, does it?

No. Thames Clippers are the operator.
http://www.thamesclippers.com/images...etable_oct.pdf

Weird.

Old April 4th 12, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
jnugent

On 03/04/2012 21:34, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:20:35 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:31:22 +0100,
wrote:

The Greenwich Foot Tunnel is closed to people who can't negotiate the
200 narrow steps;

Or not closed at all and that's just hyperbole. Alternatiovely, you don't
believe in maintenance and prefer to run machinery into the ground, and hang
the safety consequences.

The lifts at the Greenwich Foot Tunnel have been closed since June
2011.

It seems I was over-generous to Royal Greenwich, according to the
local rag the lifts at the Greenwich Foot Tunnel have been closed
since April 2009.
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/96...r_t wo_years/
And opened three years later on 2 April 2012.

They might at least have kept the tunnels symbolically closed until the
centenary date of the sinking of RMS Titanic.

Old April 4th 12, 06:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 3, 8:16*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
:

Pedestrians are prohibited from the Blackwall Tunnel;

Cycling a moped through the Blackwall Tunnel is OK.

http://g.co/maps/an9k2

It might be an idea to try an electric bike down there as a lot of
Plod think that you can be done for being drunk in charge of one.
You could use their incorrect knowledge of the law to your advantage.

--
Simon Mason
Old April 4th 12, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 00:43:44 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 03/04/2012 21:11, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:17:14 +0100,
wrote:

On 03/04/2012 20:14, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:31:22 +0100,
wrote:

The Queen Elizabeth II Bridge is closed to pedestrians.

And, quite rightly, to cyclists. Though either category is permitted to hire
a vehiucle and be carried across on payment of a fare.

http://dartfordtunnel.toolazy.me.uk/

I am aware of the free transport for cyclists and pedestrians. It does not
undermine the truth of what I said. Cyclists (and pedestrians) are free to
hire a vehicle to carry them and their machines across the Thames at
Dartford/Thurrock. Many pedestrians do so every day.

I was only aware of free transport for cyclists.

As outrageous as the "free" (ie, paid for by toll-paying crossing-users)
transport for cyclists is*, it would be a sin crying out to Heaven for
revenge if only cyclists, and not pedestrians, could be carried in the
shuttle vehicles.

[* I see no objection to the service, per se, but the charge should be at
least equivalent to a taxi-ride for an individual. That is, around £2 a mile,
meaning £4 each way (the vehicle has to return) plus the toll. £11 per person.]

This is the original cyclist transport shuttle bus:
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...rtford_bus.jpg
Old April 4th 12, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
jnugent

On 04/04/2012 07:26, Bertie Wooster wrote:

wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
wrote:

[...]

That's much bigger than I thought it would be (though probably cheap to buy,
s/h). Expensive to run in 2012, especially since full tax would have to be
paid on the diesel (not being on a stage carriage service).

Old April 4th 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Mr Benn[_5_]

Default Cyclist damaged car because driver hooted

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message
On 03/04/2012 17:27, Bill wrote:
In message , Judith
writes
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 05:50:07 -0700 (PDT), NorthWalesYorkie
wrote:

On Apr 3, 1:04 pm, "Mr Benn" wrote:

The driver of a Ford Fusion beeped his horn at the cyclist as they
approached the traffic lights, who ripped off the passenger side
mirror and
rode off along Newbridge Road.

Lets hope the driver's learnt his lesson.

Indeed - "beeping" at a cyclist - outrageous.

Too right, poor defenceless creatures.

The only time I use my horn is to let others know of my presence, now what
is wrong with that?

Don't try it with a cyclist - you'll get your windscreen smashed.

Old April 4th 12, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 4, 7:26*am, Bertie Wooster wrote:

This is the original cyclist transport shuttle bus:http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...tford_bus.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Looks very neat - we have the same sort of idea around here.

http://www.bikeliner.karoo.net/home.htm

It is more for holidays though.

--
Simon Mason
Old April 4th 12, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:18:33 +0100
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Unless you live on one bank and need to get to somewhere on the other
bank you'll be using some form of transport so I fail to see the problem.
In central london where people do walk across the river to get around then
there is no shortage of bridges.

Are you claiming there is no demand for viable pedestrian river
crossings between Tower Bridge and the QEII Bridge?

Well there is one at greenwich and perhaps there could be an argument
for one between docklands and rotherhithe. But other than that I can't
really see much demand for one especially once you get past docklands.

Perhaps it's just as well few people would want to walk across - as
they can't.

Would you really want pedestrians walking alongside the M25? Would you really
want to BE a pedestrian walking alongside the M25?

However, let us not forget that the London Loop has to take walkers
from Dartford to the Gravesend-Tilbury Ferry to cross the river - at a
cost considerably higher than taking a car through the Dartford
Crossing.

Recreational walking is irrelevant. People who walk for fun can do it
anywhere, I thought we were talking about need. And there ain't much of
that around the QE2 bridge.

B2003

Old April 4th 12, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
jnugent

On 04/04/2012 10:03, d wrote:

Bertie wrote:

[...]

You might have been talking about need.

BW *thought* he was talking about demand, though he was simply expressing
wishful aspiration at the Big Rock-Candy Mountain level, since there is no
realistic prospect of demand for a pedestrian or cycle crossing of the Thames
downstream of London.
Old April 4th 12, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Corporal Jones[_2_]

wrote:

On Apr 3, 1:04 pm, "Mr Benn" wrote:

The driver of a Ford Fusion beeped his horn at the cyclist as they
approached the traffic lights, who ripped off the passenger side
mirror and
rode off along Newbridge Road.

Lets hope the driver's learnt his lesson.

Indeed - "beeping" at a cyclist - outrageous.

Too right, poor defenceless creatures.

The only time I use my horn is to let others know of my presence, now
what is wrong with that?

Don't try it with a cyclist - you'll get your windscreen smashed.

Yeah, as I mow him down and he bounces over the roof!