Is there a preservative for gum rubber brake hoods?

Old May 23rd 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Is there a preservative for gum rubber brake hoods?

I put on an NOS pair of gum rubber brake hoods. Is there anything that would make an effective preservant (without making the hoods slimy or otherwise unpleasing to grip)?
Old May 26th 14, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, May 23, 2014 1:20:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I put on an NOS pair of gum rubber brake hoods. Is there anything that would make an effective preservant (without making the hoods slimy or otherwise unpleasing to grip)?

Hi Ed. Have you looked at Armour All(sp)? IIRC, that's what we used back in the day. I'll have to go check the label for use tomorrow to be sure it's still the stuff it was then.

Cheers
Old May 26th 14, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/05/14 09:12, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, May 23, 2014 1:20:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I put on an NOS pair of gum rubber brake hoods. Is there anything that would make an effective preservant (without making the hoods slimy or otherwise unpleasing to grip)?

Hi Ed. Have you looked at Armour All(sp)? IIRC, that's what we used back in the day. I'll have to go check the label for use tomorrow to be sure it's still the stuff it was then.

If that's the same stuff as I'm thinking of, it leaves surfaces very
slippery. I wouldn't use it on brake hoods. Maybe yours is different.

--
JS

Old May 26th 14, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 4:14:51 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 26/05/14 09:12, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Friday, May 23, 2014 1:20:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I put on an NOS pair of gum rubber brake hoods. Is there anything that would make an effective preservant (without making the hoods slimy or otherwise unpleasing to grip)?

Hi Ed. Have you looked at Armour All(sp)? IIRC, that's what we used back in the day. I'll have to go check the label for use tomorrow to be sure it's still the stuff it was then.

If that's the same stuff as I'm thinking of, it leaves surfaces very
slippery. I wouldn't use it on brake hoods. Maybe yours is different.

Yeah, it's basically wax.

What about:

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/sun/ultra+sheer-.do

It's UV that kills the rubber, right? Maybe also the salt
in your sweaty hands?

Old May 26th 14, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 7:51:49 PM UTC-4, Dan O wrote:
On Sunday, May 25, 2014 4:14:51 PM UTC-7, James wrote:

On 26/05/14 09:12, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Friday, May 23, 2014 1:20:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I put on an NOS pair of gum rubber brake hoods. Is there anything that would make an effective preservant (without making the hoods slimy or otherwise unpleasing to grip)?

Hi Ed. Have you looked at Armour All(sp)? IIRC, that's what we used back in the day. I'll have to go check the label for use tomorrow to be sure it's still the stuff it was then.

If that's the same stuff as I'm thinking of, it leaves surfaces very

slippery. I wouldn't use it on brake hoods. Maybe yours is different.

Yeah, it's basically wax.

What about:

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/sun/ultra+sheer-.do

It's UV that kills the rubber, right? Maybe also the salt

in your sweaty hands?

I'd b e very cautious about using a sunscreen as a gum rubber preservative. I used a sunblock that wore off the lacquer spray paint on a bicycle frame where my thigh brushed it. Some sunblocks are areal nasty mix of chemicals.. I've also discovered that baby oils will deteriorate latex rubber and PVC materials. I'd stay with something specifically formulated for rubber. Silicone treatment perhaps? I still think that Armourall is the safest but I'd still read the directions first before using it on hard to acquire gum rubber brake hoods.

Okay. I just visited the Armourall site and saw this. "Helps renew and revitalize vinyl, rubber and plastic"

Site is he http://www.armorall.com/product-types/protectants/

Cheers
Old May 26th 14, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 23 May 2014 10:20:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I put on an NOS pair of gum rubber brake hoods. Is there anything
that would make an effective preservant (without making the hoods
slimy or otherwise unpleasing to grip)?

No. I have to deal with the same type of deterioration of rubber
parts in computer components (rubber feet, belts, rubber paint, etc).
It's practically guaranteed with plastic laptop case parts that are
covered with "no slip" rubber like paint.

What's happening is that the vulcanization and/or plasticizer is
failing, causing the rubber material to revert to its originally
consistency, which is a sticky liquid goo, or a powder.

I've done a post mortem on some failed parts and found that
devulcanization does NOT start at the surface and proceed into the
part. Instead, it almost uniformly fails over the volume of the part
simultaneously. That implies that protecting the surface, possibly
from whatever is attacking the rubber, isn't going to work. I have
some guesses as to the failure mechanism, but no solutions. I've
tried various coatings and covers, with no improvements. A clue is
that rubber parts, stored in cardboard boxes, out of sunlight, also
fail.

The gum hoods on my 30 year old Miyata 610 Diacomp brake levers
http://velobase.com/CompImages/BrakeLevers/463AA682-CBCA-4A13-9580-218962C6E1E9.jpeg
also disintegrated but not in the same manner. They began to harden
and become brittle starting near the surface. They also became
noticeably darker in color. Pieces began to fall off. I put them
back, and embalmed the brake levers with bar tape. When I later
removed the tape to see if anything was left underneath, the rubber
hoods had turned to a sticky dust. In this case, my guess(tm) is that
the plasticizer evaporated out of the hoods, leaving an inflexible and
brittle powder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticizer
http://www.plasticisers.org
(Note the caption under the picture for the crumbling lamp cord).

I suspect the lifetime of such products is mostly dependent on the
original formulation and vulcanization process (ignoring the
conspiracy theories of plastic formulations designed to fail early).
Do it wrong, and you get a sticky or crumbly mess after a few years.
This is not necessarily a bad thing, as bio degradable plasticizers
require such self deterioration.

Sorry, no prevention or cure available.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old May 26th 14, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.

On Sun, 25 May 2014 17:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

Don't they make some sort of goop to spray on tires. suppose to
preserve and beautify them? I think that silicon is mentioned on the
label.
--
Cheers,

John B.