overtight QR

Old October 2nd 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default overtight QR

Can you overtight a QR for example with
a soft mallet?

I mean can this damage or be a detriment
to security?

Obviously if you can't get it open again,
that's another matter...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 2nd 18, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/2/2018 12:47 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Can you overtight a QR for example with
a soft mallet?

I mean can this damage or be a detriment
to security?

Obviously if you can't get it open again,
that's another matter...

Oil cam, press closed with palm.

Adjust such that the lever leaves an imprint on your palm
for a few seconds. Not a hematoma, just an imprint. That is
a tighter setup than a wrench on most nutted axles.

Use your mallet for making art with a wood chisel:
http://www.chosensites.com/mallet-chisel-480.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 2nd 18, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 10:53:40 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/2/2018 12:47 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Can you overtight a QR for example with
a soft mallet?

I mean can this damage or be a detriment
to security?

Obviously if you can't get it open again,
that's another matter...

Oil cam, press closed with palm.

Adjust such that the lever leaves an imprint on your palm
for a few seconds. Not a hematoma, just an imprint. That is
a tighter setup than a wrench on most nutted axles.

Use your mallet for making art with a wood chisel:
http://www.chosensites.com/mallet-chisel-480.jpg

Go for the hematoma! With some of the cheap, OE press-fit bearing hubs, you can also get bearing binding or seal squeaking when you over-tighten the QR.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 2nd 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 11:02:30 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 10:53:40 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/2/2018 12:47 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Can you overtight a QR for example with
a soft mallet?

I mean can this damage or be a detriment
to security?

Obviously if you can't get it open again,
that's another matter...

Oil cam, press closed with palm.

Adjust such that the lever leaves an imprint on your palm
for a few seconds. Not a hematoma, just an imprint. That is
a tighter setup than a wrench on most nutted axles.

Use your mallet for making art with a wood chisel:
http://www.chosensites.com/mallet-chisel-480.jpg

Go for the hematoma! With some of the cheap, OE press-fit bearing hubs, you can also get bearing binding or seal squeaking when you over-tighten the QR.

-- Jay Beattie.

We're in agreement if you can believe that. Overtighting QRs can place damaging pressure on ball bearings, misalign the sealed bearings in the hub or even weaken the QR so that it can break. The latest QRs can be aluminum. You want the wheel to be tight enough to not move - not so tight that damage is done.
Old October 2nd 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 19:47:42 +0200,
Emanuel Berg wrote:
Can you overtight a QR for example with a soft mallet?

I mean can this damage or be a detriment to security?

For what it's worth, I've stripped the threading off a skewer by
clamping down the cam lever too tightly.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old October 2nd 18, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 2018-10-02 18:47, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Can you overtight a QR for example with
a soft mallet?

I mean can this damage or be a detriment
to security?

Obviously if you can't get it open again,
that's another matter...

Yes, I've had one snap, and seen a friends snap. You have to be ham
fisted, but it's possible.

Old October 2nd 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Can you overtight a QR for example with
a soft mallet? I mean can this damage or be
a detriment to security? Obviously if you
can't get it open again, that's another
matter...

Oil cam, press closed with palm.

Adjust such that the lever leaves an imprint
on your palm for a few seconds.
Not a hematoma, just an imprint. That is
a tighter setup than a wrench on most
nutted axles.

OK.

Use your mallet for making art with a wood
chisel:
http://www.chosensites.com/mallet-chisel-480.jpg

Ha ha, wonderful