Min. TH = 1.5

Old October 5th 18, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Min. TH = 1.5

I found "Min. TH = 1.5" on the disc brake
rotor. Does this mean I should replace it when
it gets below that, i.e. below 1.5mm?

According to the calipers, it is 1.8mm right
now. According to the micrometer, it is 1.75mm.
So that should be OK, by far, right?

How thick is a brand new disc? This bike
doesn't look used at all almost so I suppose it
is, or is close to, 1.8mm.

I know Shimano publishes very good
documentation so if anyone has a PDF that'd be
great to see. It is the SM-RT30-M China, 180mm.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 5th 18, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:I found "Min. TH = 1.5" on the disc brake
:rotor. Does this mean I should replace it when
:it gets below that, i.e. below 1.5mm?

:According to the calipers, it is 1.8mm right
:now. According to the micrometer, it is 1.75mm.
:So that should be OK, by far, right?

Yes. It's brand new.

:How thick is a brand new disc? This bike
:doesn't look used at all almost so I suppose it
:is, or is close to, 1.8mm.

1.75 give or take a touch, depending on the particular rotor.
I don't know aobut yours, sorry.

--
sig 28
Old October 5th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

David Scheidt wrote:

1.75 give or take a touch, depending on the
particular rotor. I don't know aobut
yours, sorry.

Well, obviously no worries, and thanks for the
rest of the reply. It seems I was able to read
something on the bike and understand it.
Now I've Googled a bit and it seems most people
have digital calipers and micrometers.
Maybe I should get such as well. But I like
analog stuff, in a way they are more
interesting and you don't have to mess
with batteries.

Old October 5th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Emanuel Berg writes:

David Scheidt wrote:

1.75 give or take a touch, depending on the
particular rotor. I don't know aobut
yours, sorry.

Well, obviously no worries, and thanks for the
rest of the reply. It seems I was able to read
something on the bike and understand it.
Now I've Googled a bit and it seems most people
have digital calipers and micrometers.
Maybe I should get such as well. But I like
analog stuff, in a way they are more
interesting and you don't have to mess
with batteries.

Working with digital stuff all day, I'm with you. Pierre Vernier rests
easy.

Old October 5th 18, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/5/2018 11:38 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Emanuel Berg writes:

David Scheidt wrote:

1.75 give or take a touch, depending on the
particular rotor. I don't know aobut
yours, sorry.

Well, obviously no worries, and thanks for the
rest of the reply. It seems I was able to read
something on the bike and understand it.
Now I've Googled a bit and it seems most people
have digital calipers and micrometers.
Maybe I should get such as well. But I like
analog stuff, in a way they are more
interesting and you don't have to mess
with batteries.

Working with digital stuff all day, I'm with you. Pierre Vernier rests
easy.

Vernier calipers are also super simple and very rugged.

Our lab bought one of the first digital calipers on the market many
years ago. Trouble was, it spent most of its time in the drawer. One day
we pulled it out to use it and found the battery had leaked and badly
corroded things.

OTOH, once a person reaches a certain age, a vernier scale turns into
hazy fuzz. :-(

I do most of my small scale measuring with dial calipers. They're
mechanical and thus a bit fragile; and indeed, I've dropped them and
cracked the dial's crystal. But I can see them while wearing ordinary
glasses, and they require no batteries.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 5th 18, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Emanuel Berg writes:

David Scheidt wrote:

[...]

The truth is I'm just sentimental. When I was ten or so my Dad, and
engineering professor, took a ruler, a pencil, and a sheet of paper,
constructed a Vernier scale for me, and showed me how it worked.

Old October 5th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Radey Shouman wrote:

The truth is I'm just sentimental. When I was
ten or so my Dad, and engineering professor,
took a ruler, a pencil, and a sheet of paper,
constructed a Vernier scale for me, and
showed me how it worked.

Learning how it works is a revelation. Which is
a bit of a surprise because they are so simple!
Tell it to a friend who knows nothing about
tools: it will only take a couple of minutes,
still, or perhaps for this reason, he/she will
be delighted!

Old October 5th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Emanuel Berg writes:

Radey Shouman wrote:

The truth is I'm just sentimental. When I was
ten or so my Dad, and engineering professor,
took a ruler, a pencil, and a sheet of paper,
constructed a Vernier scale for me, and
showed me how it worked.

Learning how it works is a revelation. Which is
a bit of a surprise because they are so simple!
Tell it to a friend who knows nothing about
tools: it will only take a couple of minutes,
still, or perhaps for this reason, he/she will
be delighted!

I don't think *telling* me would have been memorable at all, showing is
better. He did tell me the story of Archimedes running dripping and
naked through the streets of Syracuse, that was memorable.

Old October 5th 18, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Radey Shouman wrote:

Learning how it works is a revelation.
Which is a bit of a surprise because they
are so simple! Tell it to a friend who knows
nothing about tools: it will only take
a couple of minutes, still, or perhaps for
this reason, he/she will be delighted!

I don't think *telling* me would have been
memorable at all, showing is better.

C'mon, you know that's what I meant.

Old October 6th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Emanuel Berg writes:

Radey Shouman wrote:

Learning how it works is a revelation.
Which is a bit of a surprise because they
are so simple! Tell it to a friend who knows
nothing about tools: it will only take
a couple of minutes, still, or perhaps for
this reason, he/she will be delighted!

I don't think *telling* me would have been
memorable at all, showing is better.

C'mon, you know that's what I meant.

I only know what you tell me.