Sugino 75 with UN52BB?

Old July 22nd 05, 06:06 AM
Dave Mayer

Default Sugino 75 with UN52BB?

"A Muzi" wrote in message

WHen you say "didn't work" does that mean your spindle length was
incorrect or that the taper did not engage properly?

Both. The taper on the new Shimano BB resulted in the crankarm not engaging
as far on the spindle. I used the same length of Shimano spindle as the old
Sugino BB, and the arms were at least 3mm further out on each side. If you
were willing to accept this fit, then you would use a much shorter BB
spindle.

When you say 'Shimano taper BB" do you mean a current model and if so
which one? Shimano has only used their current taper section from the
early '90s on

UN72. New.

Sugino 75 here go with a Tange 110mm BB

Well, it will only take a minute to test the engagment of the crankarms in
question on a JIS BB.

Old July 26th 05, 08:28 PM

Baird Webel wrote:
A Muzi wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

Found the answers to my own question. This site his great:
http://www.branfordbike.com/crank/crank4.html#item2a

Dave Mayer wrote:

Tom: the Sugino 75 crank I had was 10-15 years old. It definitely did
not work with a Shimano taper BB. Sugino must have gone to the JIS
taper since that time. You say the Sugino crank you have is new. Was
your crankset freshly manufactured, or perhaps sitting in a box for a
few years? I suggest testing the engagement of the crankarms on a
Shimano BB before you install everything.

WHen you say "didn't work" does that mean your spindle length was
incorrect or that the taper did not engage properly?
When you say 'Shimano taper BB" do you mean a current model and if so
which one? Shimano has only used their current taper section from the
early '90s on

Sugino 75 here go with a Tange 110mm BB

My experience with the Sugino 75 crank basically mirrors Dave's. This
is a brand new crank, taken off an 04 fuji track bike. It came with a
fairly generic 110 bb and the chainline was a few mm wider than 42mm. I
then put it on with a shimano UN-52 with a 107mm axle and it was still a
little wide. This really surprised me as I had a hard time imagining
that sugino doesn't use a JIS taper. I've been meaning to play around
with some campy BBs and probably to get a sugino 75BB if Quality ever
has them back in stock, but just haven't had the time.

Baird

I installed the 109 UN52 bb and then added the crankarms and they DO
seem to sit very wide. The engagement doesn't go as deeply as I'm
accustomed to seeing either. I don't have a torque wrence so I wasn't
going for broke, but using the non-quantified approach I'd say I
tightened them to around 80%. I don't think I could expect to get much
more than another mm or two.

Scott