Q's about swapping front chainring

Old July 23rd 05, 02:21 AM
C.J.Patten

Default Q's about swapping front chainring

Howdy!

I'm planning to install a larger front chainring and would like to know what
issues I need to consider.

The bike appears to use a tapered-square type BB.
Current front crank is an FSA Alpha drive 2-ring set (32/44), 170mm arms.
This setup has a 4-bolt pattern.
Derailleur is a Shimano Deore. FWIW, in back there's an 8-speed cassette.

*** *** ***

I'd like to install a 50-tooth large front ring.

Is this as easy as walking into a well equipped bike shop, buying a new ring
with a 4 bolt pattern and substituting it where the 44 was?

Perhaps the front derailleur would need to be moved up to accomodate the new
ring?

Will I likely need a new chain?

Thanks,
Chris

Old July 23rd 05, 03:53 AM
Dan Burkhart

C.J.Patten Wrote:
Howdy!

I'm planning to install a larger front chainring and would like to kno
what
issues I need to consider.

The bike appears to use a tapered-square type BB.
Current front crank is an FSA Alpha drive 2-ring set (32/44), 170m
arms.
This setup has a 4-bolt pattern.
Derailleur is a Shimano Deore. FWIW, in back there's an 8-spee
cassette.

*** *** ***

I'd like to install a 50-tooth large front ring.

Is this as easy as walking into a well equipped bike shop, buying a ne
ring
with a 4 bolt pattern and substituting it where the 44 was?

Perhaps the front derailleur would need to be moved up to accomodat
the new
ring?

Will I likely need a new chain?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
Your Alpha drive will be a 104mm bolt circle diameter. I believe th
only way you can go to a larger chain ring is to swap crank sets. I a
pretty sure 44 is tops for that one.
Da

--
Dan Burkhart

Old July 23rd 05, 03:54 AM
JeffWills

C.J.Patten wrote:

I'd like to install a 50-tooth large front ring.

Is this as easy as walking into a well equipped bike shop, buying a new ring
with a 4 bolt pattern and substituting it where the 44 was?

Perhaps the front derailleur would need to be moved up to accomodate the new
ring?

Will I likely need a new chain?

Yes to all. I think the hardest part, though, will be finding a 50
tooth 104mm BCD ring. The largest I could find is a 48 tooth:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=CR3661

A 50 tooth may exist, but I couldn't find it quickly.

Jeff

Old July 23rd 05, 03:57 AM
Dan Burkhart

Dan Burkhart Wrote:
Chris
Your Alpha drive will be a 104mm bolt circle diameter. I believe th
only way you can go to a larger chain ring is to swap crank sets. I a
pretty sure 44 is tops for that one.
Dan

Oops. I just checked one of my catalogues, and I find I was no
correct in my assertion. Turns out there is a 46 tooth ring for a 104m
BCD.
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart

Old July 23rd 05, 04:13 AM
C.J.Patten

"JeffWills" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes to all. I think the hardest part, though, will be finding a 50
tooth 104mm BCD ring. The largest I could find is a 48 tooth:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=CR3661

A 50 tooth may exist, but I couldn't find it quickly.

Jeff

That's really above and beyond the call of duty Jeff - thanks for doing the
research.
I'll keep looking but you may be right. Perhaps I'll have to replace the
whole front drivetrain with a 5-bolt.

Any brand suggestions? It's being used on a 20" wheel folding bicycle for
touring.

Thanks again Jeff.

Regards,
Chris

Old July 23rd 05, 04:27 AM
C.J.Patten

"Dan Burkhart" wrote in
message news

Dan Burkhart Wrote:
Chris
Your Alpha drive will be a 104mm bolt circle diameter. I believe the
only way you can go to a larger chain ring is to swap crank sets. I am
pretty sure 44 is tops for that one.
Dan

Oops. I just checked one of my catalogues, and I find I was not
correct in my assertion. Turns out there is a 46 tooth ring for a 104mm
BCD.
Dan.

Thanks Dan. Even if it went up to 48, I'm looking at 50+ teeth so it looks
like a crank swap.

Recommendations welcome. I understand steel lasts longer so I'm not adverse
to that. Can't really afford DuraAce, nor am I that concerned about weight.

Cheers,
Chris

Old July 23rd 05, 05:28 AM
Llatikcuf

Dan Burkhart wrote:
Chris
Your Alpha drive will be a 104mm bolt circle diameter. I believe the
only way you can go to a larger chain ring is to swap crank sets. I am
pretty sure 44 is tops for that one.
Dan

Salsa makes a 46 and a 48 in a 104BCD

http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_chainrings.html

-n

Old July 23rd 05, 05:41 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per C.J.Patten:
Is this as easy as walking into a well equipped bike shop, buying a new ring
with a 4 bolt pattern and substituting it where the 44 was?

Others who know more can probably fill in the details, but my experience has
been "maybe, but probably not". One thing is the number of teeth difference
your der can handle - smallest chainring vs the new large one. If 44 has you at
the limit....

I'd bet on a new chain - or another quick link and some extra links in the
existing one. Personally, I'd opt for the new chain.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 23rd 05, 06:05 AM
Hank Wirtz

"C.J.Patten" wrote in
:

Recommendations welcome. I understand steel lasts longer so I'm not
adverse to that. Can't really afford DuraAce, nor am I that concerned
about weight.

Cheers,
Chris

Once again, let me wave the flag for the Sugino XD300 as the best crank
deal in the universe. Gorgeous finish, steel rings that look like aluminum,
and it can be had for under $50. It comes stock as a 46/36/26 triple, but
110mm BCD compact road rings in the mid-50s can be had easily. My Veloce
triple FD didn't like a 50/36/26, but only on the 36-26 shift with the FD
clamped that high. If you ditch the granny (which would be fine if you have
20-inch wheels), you shouldn't have any problems with any FD that can
handle 14 teeth, and most doubles can do 15.

Have a look:

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CR1032

-Hank
Old July 23rd 05, 01:24 PM