Best "Be Seen" LED Light? Front and Rear?

Old April 22nd 05, 12:10 PM
Gurrie

Default Best "Be Seen" LED Light? Front and Rear?

I am after an LED to compliment my Halogen bike lights.

Ideally to assist with the "be seen" factor - even during the daylight
hours, not just night time.

What is the general view on a good front light? Also looking for an
additional, good rear light?

Don't care if drivers thing I look like a Christmas tree - in fact thats
what I want! It means they see me if they think that.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Craig

Old April 22nd 05, 12:21 PM
hippy

Gurrie wrote:
I am after an LED to compliment my Halogen bike lights.

Ideally to assist with the "be seen" factor - even during the daylight
hours, not just night time.

What is the general view on a good front light? Also looking for an
additional, good rear light?

Don't care if drivers thing I look like a Christmas tree - in fact thats
what I want! It means they see me if they think that.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

I haven't used all 'that' many but I do really like VistaLite Eclipse
for a rear flasher (probably hard to get now with the VistaLite
distributor issues) and the S-Sun or similar 3-LED front light. $30 and
$40 respectively.

hippy
Old April 22nd 05, 02:48 PM
Plodder

"Gurrie" wrote in message
I am after an LED to compliment my Halogen bike lights.

Ideally to assist with the "be seen" factor - even during the daylight
hours, not just night time.

What is the general view on a good front light? Also looking for an
additional, good rear light?

Don't care if drivers thing I look like a Christmas tree - in fact thats
what I want! It means they see me if they think that.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Craig

I got one of those Xenon strobe lights. There's one he
&rd=1
Bloody bright! If they can't see this, they shouldn't be driving. I use
this as the rear, a flashing 3 LED light in front, a flashing LED on my
backpack, two Knog lights velcroed to my helment (one flashing, one steady).
All these are so I'm seen. I use a Cateye Opticube to see with (adequate,
not great). I also use a Kathmandu Illumi Nite backpack; the reflective
fabric works well. I have several bits of reflective tape on my frame too,
as well as those Knog handlebar-end lights.

Despite all this, I still get too many "Geez! I didn't see you!"s. I think
it's that when non-riders are driving cars they look for other cars,
motorcycles and peds. The "normal" things on the road. There are not enogh
of us to be one of the normal things so we slide under the attention radar.

Best it to be well lit, but don't put your faith in your equipment to keep
you safe. Pay attention to yourself and every other bugger. The drivers who
think you look like a Christmas tree aren't the ones you need to worry
about - they've seen you. It's the blinkered buggers who don't see you no
matter what you do that'll get you.

Cheers,

Frank

Old April 22nd 05, 03:21 PM
aeek

Plodder Wrote:

Despite all this, I still get too many "Geez! I didn't see you!"s.
think
it's that when non-riders are driving cars they look for other cars,
motorcycles and peds.

disagree, just for cars & bigger

--
aeek

Old April 22nd 05, 11:21 PM
Plodder

"aeek" wrote in message

Plodder Wrote:

Despite all this, I still get too many "Geez! I didn't see you!"s. I
think
it's that when non-riders are driving cars they look for other cars,
motorcycles and peds.

disagree, just for cars & bigger.

--
aeek

Yeah... you're prolly closer to right than me. How about:
High on radar - cars and bigger
Mid radar - motorcycles
Low on radr - peds
Just about off the radar - bikes

Frank

Old April 23rd 05, 01:32 AM
flyingdutch

Gurrie Wrote:

snipparge ...

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Craig

if its for the 'be seen' factor, consider...

I place 2 of them small LEDs with fast-flash setting on the front of m
helmet and a red on the rear.
These compliment my 5/10W cateyes(front) and another 3-light on m
back.

The ones on the front of your helmet are great, cos you can direct the
AT drivers wanting to pull out of sidestreets, peds, etc and with 2 o
em flashing out of sync its almost impossible to ignore em.
Cos they are attached by their simple elastic/strap bittie with
slipknot thru the vents in my hemet they are easy to remove/chang
bikes (and the big meanies at Glenvale would larf at me )

Also big advantage in traffic as the light isnt obscured/hidden b
cars next to you. Raising youre head or 'standing' means those pesk
righthand-turners can see you over the car next to you, etc.

They also have a rahter disco affect on all street signs, lighting e
up like xmas trees.
Anyone behind you WTF is going on and gets yet another way of noticin
you too.

AND they freak dogs out big time

cost? approx $15each and battery life is good ( approx 3 monthly an
$3each to replace

--
flyingdutch

Old April 23rd 05, 02:24 AM
hippy

flyingdutch wrote:
I place 2 of them small LEDs with fast-flash setting on the front of my
helmet and a red on the rear.
These compliment my 5/10W cateyes(front) and another 3-light on my
back.

The ones on the front of your helmet are great, cos you can direct them
AT drivers wanting to pull out of sidestreets, peds, etc and with 2 of
em flashing out of sync its almost impossible to ignore em.
Cos they are attached by their simple elastic/strap bittie with a
slipknot thru the vents in my hemet they are easy to remove/change
bikes (and the big meanies at Glenvale would larf at me )

Also big advantage in traffic as the light isnt obscured/hidden by
cars next to you. Raising youre head or 'standing' means those pesky
righthand-turners can see you over the car next to you, etc.

They also have a rahter disco affect on all street signs, lighting em
up like xmas trees.
Anyone behind you WTF is going on and gets yet another way of noticing
you too.

AND they freak dogs out big time

cost? approx $15each and battery life is good ( approx 3 monthly and
$3each to replace)

I like your dual helmet beam setup. I found a single X-Lite to be quite
insufficient but I also wasn't going to spend $8 (yes, yuppie scum
Hawthorn prices!!) to replace a single X-Lite's batteries every three
months. That's good beer money!!

A while after the first battery swap in my X-Lite, it died. I thought I
was careful with the rubber water seal but perhaps not careful enough?

http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=148

hippy
"jibber jabber"
Old April 23rd 05, 06:35 AM
Gurrie

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I was digging around and found some old rectangle shaped VistaLite flashers.

Anyone had any experience upgrading the LEDs in them? Jaycar carry some
retina buring 20,000mcd LEDs which I'd love to try.

Just not sure if it would work and what resisitors to add etc.

Old April 23rd 05, 08:16 AM
HughMann

Gurrie Wrote:
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I was digging around and found some old rectangle shaped VistaLit
flashers.

Anyone had any experience upgrading the LEDs in them? Jaycar carr
some
retina buring 20,000mcd LEDs which I'd love to try.

Just not sure if it would work and what resisitors to add etc.

[/color]

Havent had experience with that light but have done some fairly untid
hacks to the el cheapo $1.50 blinkies.

First problem I found was that the( Jaycar, and all I think) 20,000mc
Leds operate from 3.4 volts and the ones fitted were much lower voltag
so "no go". No 1 for 1 swap.
Then the IC to give the Blink is a special low voltage job so cant hac
that!

So, forget the blink, cut a piece of veroboard same size as PCB, moun
3 x 20,000mcd Leds (parallel), wire up sub minature toggle switch
hack, file, nibble, hot melt glue gun. It works!

Could have got all techo and used a low voltage cmos 7555 timer IC an
a fancy sub minature rotary switch to give the blink but wanted it NO
not in 12 months.

No resistor required as its a 3 volt supply and leds operate at 3.4v
just rely on internal resistance of leds. Wouldnt use more than 3 led
in parallel as variations in internal R can cause problems apparently.

Bloody bright but will slowly get dim as batteries go flat. Batterie
last me about 6 months of riding 5 nights a week for just under
hours.

Cheers
Hug

--
HughMann

Old April 23rd 05, 08:22 AM
flyingdutch

HughMann Wrote:
[...]

Any chance you could draw a diagram of this Hughmann?
preferably in such a way that an idiot like me can decioher?

cheers

flyingdutch

Q: Chain noisy on front big ring/all rear cogs, silent on front small/all rear cogs App Techniques 6 October 12th 05 02:01 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM