Help needed!!! What kind of group is this? ~20yr Bianchi bike, Campa group.

Old July 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Help needed!!! What kind of group is this? ~20yr Bianchi bike, Campa group.

Hi Jeff,

thank you!

I assume the cast stop is this little ring with the thing sticking out
which pushes against the little knob shown in that picture?
The "thing" broke off that ring.

Any idea where I could get a cast stop?

Max

JeffWills wrote:
Diablo Scott wrote:

Yeah, definitely Victory or Triomphe for the crank and ders, Victory
cranks had a self-extractor,

The crank has a self-extractor, so it's probably all Victory. Second
(?) lowest in that era's Campy line, lowest being Triomphe.

From the looks of the rear derailleur, I'd suspect that the cast stop

on the rear derailleur has been sheared off. This pictu
http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~mxhf...s/img_4729.jpg
shows an intact stop on the derailleur hanger, so a replacement is in
order. IIRC, this was a weak point of these derailleurs. I could be
worng, though- those are 17-year-old memories, and I ain't getting any
younger.

Jeff

Old July 21st 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2006-07-20, wrote:

I bought this beautiful oldtimer bianchi road bike about a year ago.
It has written the name Record 920 on the frame.
I liked it so much, I took it from Germany to the US when I went there
to write my thesis.
On the way back Delta damaged the gear group in the back.

Before I can start looking for the replacement part I'd need to know
what type/year the campagnolo group is.

Pictures are posted he

http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~mxhf...WWW/index.html

I guess it is about 20 years old. There are no catalogs online for such
old parts.
Does anybody know, or know where to start looking, or know where to get
parts even?

I tried shops, I tried Bianchi, I tried ebay.... i think I tried the
obvious things.

Looks like a Victory drivetrain, but the pedals are wrong:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf

Victory was only produced for a couple years in the mid-80s, so finding
parts might be a problem. Your best bet is to keep your eyes peeled on
eBay.

--

John )
Old July 22nd 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

"damyth" writes:

On the way back Delta damaged the gear group [ broke away the
derailleur stop for a victory rear derailleur] in the back.

Nobody would blame you if you bought a Nuovo Record rear derailleur
for your bike, they were still being made in those years and they are
1 or 2 levels up in the world, I'd look for a 1985 or 1986 model, they
will say "PAT 85" or "PAT 85" on the top shoulder of the derailleur,
on ebay, cost should be $35 for a pretty nice one.

The Victory and Triomphe derailleurs are nearly identical except for
the geometry of the pulley cage ( victory ~ super record, triomphe ~
nuovo record). There is no name on the parallelogram so you can swap
the pulley cages over. Buy either type of derailleur. If you get a
Triomphe, just move your pulley cage over to the new derailleur, campy
stuff is all easily taken apart and rebuilt, and you will have your
Victory derailleur again.

Alternately, take you derailleur to any machine stop and have them
weld a piece of aluminum onto the back of it to recreate the
derailleur stop. Then spent about half an hour with a file and
sandpaper to clean it up.

Good luck,

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old July 22nd 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

"Art Harris" wrote in news:1153484089.115931.111950
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

john wrote:
Is your purpose to totally restore it to new condition?
If not, you can use a newer & probably superior derailleur for less
money.

I agree in principle, but a modern derailleur might have to be modified
slightly to work with his wide chain. It looks like he's got a 7-speed
system. Also, if his shifters are friction rather than indexed, his
choice of derailleur would be greater (Shimano, Sun Tour, etc. as well
as Campy).

FWIW, when I went Triple, I replaced my mid-'80s Sachs-Huret New Success
rear with a long cage 9-speed Veloce. Worked fine with a Suntour New Winner
Ultra-7 and a SRAM PC58 chain, with Rivendell Silver bar-ends.

I've since gone indexed and am running all-Veloce.
Old July 22nd 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Morten Reippuert Knudsen

wrote:
I bought this beautiful oldtimer bianchi road bike about a year ago.
It has written the name Record 920 on the frame.
I liked it so much, I took it from Germany to the US when I went there
to write my thesis.
On the way back Delta damaged the gear group in the back.

Before I can start looking for the replacement part I'd need to know
what type/year the campagnolo group is.

Pictures are posted he

http://www.physik.tu-berlin.de/~mxhf...WWW/index.html

It's either Campy Triomphe or Victory - equvilant to Shimano 105 and
600 back then. The finnish makes me think its Triomhpe.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) http://blog.reippuert.dk

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1,25GB RAM, 300+300GB SATA, 16xDVD DL, Bluetooth
mus+tastatur, R9600PRO, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT.
Old July 26th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john

Donald Gillies wrote:

Alternately, take you derailleur to any machine stop and have them
weld a piece of aluminum onto the back of it to recreate the
derailleur stop. Then spent about half an hour with a file and
sandpaper to clean it up.

Good luck,

- Don Gillies

Donald, I'm really curious, were you actually able to spot that damage,
or was it an educated guess?

Also do you know if the extent of heat treatment to that particular
derailleur was so low that welding would not render it useless? I guess
it really doesn't matter, as it's useless now

Regards, John

Old July 27th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

"john" writes:

How did you know the derailleur stop was broken off ?

Also do you know if the extent of heat treatment to that particular
derailleur was so low that welding would not render it useless? I guess
it really doesn't matter, as it's useless now

1. I could guess that the stop had broken off because the derailleur
was pointing too far forward.

2. Derailleurs are typically not heat-treated, although the parts may
be forged, there have been many successful CNC'd derailleurs, so I
wouldn't worry about welding compromising the strength of the
derailleur.

under normal circumstances the derailleur is under almost no
stress - just a few pounds from the springs and pulleys taking up
the slack in what otherwise would be a _loose_ chain.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA