'nuther Winter training question - opinions needed!

Old December 30th 04, 03:33 PM
Arthur Harris

Default 'nuther Winter training question - opinions needed!

"Retro Bob" wrote:
Trainer or rollers ? Obviously both are ideal, but space and hassle
may limit me to one.

If you had to choose one - which and why ?

If you're goal is primarily to maintain fitness, go with a trainer. You can
get a harder workout, and not worry about falling. Rollers may be less
boring and may improve your spin and balance, but for pure fitness a trainer
is best.

Art Harris

Old December 30th 04, 05:15 PM
jim c

Retro Bob wrote:
Trainer or rollers ? Obviously both are ideal, but space and hassle
may limit me to one.

If you had to choose one - which and why ?

I have used both, as well as spinning classes. I chose rollers, and
heres why; my main motivation for getting on the bike everyday is to
improve. My speed, my cadence, my HR, I get the added nudge by trying to
challenge myself and learn how to improve. I admit it, Im not much of a
slow-down-and-enjoy-the-scenery kind of rider. Im also not much of a
get-on-and-do-my-20 just for the exercise guy either. riding daily and
not learning something would very quickly kill my motivation. Rollers
provide the same challenge to me. You have to learn how to use them, you
can always improve 'how' you use them, they provide me with a great way
to improve my pedal stroke and I dont feel like Im training just for the
sake of exercise.

hope this helps.
Old December 30th 04, 06:40 PM
Mark Janeba

Retro Bob wrote:

Trainer or rollers ? Obviously both are ideal, but space and hassle
may limit me to one.

If you had to choose one - which and why ?

I've had both, including very nice Kreitler rollers, and went with a
trainer.

Rollers definitely help with your balance, they smooth out your spin,
and are totally painless to "connect" to the bike. With a fan unit like
Kreitler's, they provide plenty of drag. (Can't speak to the drag of
the small-diameter rollers, haven't tried 'em.)

The down side to rollers for me was the need for continous
concentration. Not a problem when I was just riding the rollers, but
boredom set in, so I started watching old Tour de France tapes while I
rolled. When the camera motos started turning the corners with the
breaks, I had a dangerous tendency to try to go with them. A stationary
trainer solves that.

The fan unit on the Kreitler was also on the loud side (as are wind
trainers), making it hard to hear Phil & Paul on the telly.

Trainers don't do squat for your balance, and little if anything for
your spin smoothness, but as some famous racer once said, "I already
know how to balance."

Mark Janeba

Old December 30th 04, 06:41 PM
Jay Beattie

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
"Retro Bob" wrote:
Trainer or rollers ? Obviously both are ideal, but space and

hassle
may limit me to one.

If you had to choose one - which and why ?

If you're goal is primarily to maintain fitness, go with a

trainer. You can
get a harder workout, and not worry about falling. Rollers may

be less
boring and may improve your spin and balance, but for pure

fitness a trainer
is best.

I do not think the line is so bright, especially with small
diameter rollers or fan or mag-loaded rollers. I think it is
fair to say, however, that you cannot get the same low cadence,
stiff resistance type work out with rollers that you can get with
a trainer. Although I can ride out of the saddle on rollers, it
is sketchy and certainly not like hammering on a bike fixed in a
trainer. If I were to buy only one trainer, I would go with fan
or mag-loaded rollers. I have a 20 year old set of cheap-o Tackx
rollers with fans that are still going strong (after I popped in
some new cartridge bearings). I ride a fixed gear, and if the
load feels too stiff on a particular day, I disconnect one of the
fans. -- Jay Beattie.

Old December 30th 04, 10:58 PM

Art,
What about rollers w/ the fan uunit that blows back on the rider to
help keep him cool. Doesn't the fan add enough resistance to up the
workout ante? John

Old December 30th 04, 11:02 PM

Mark LOL I think U're serious, but that was funny weather intended or
not, John

Winter Training Garry Jones Racing 23 October 4th 04 08:48 AM
Winter training hazards Scott Hendricks Racing 2 February 10th 04 01:32 PM
Winter Training KRasmus572 Rides 17 November 30th 03 02:01 AM
Disk road/cross bike for winter training David Mackintosh Techniques 14 October 15th 03 02:59 PM