Bike Registration?

Old September 27th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Bike Registration?

Hello,

After reading the "Bike Theft" thread, I did an internet search for
ways to prevent bike theft.

On this website (http://www.linfield.edu/safety/preventing-bicycle-
theft.php), they suggest people to register thier bikes.

I haven't done this since I was a little kid, and I wondered if I was
just being an irresponsible, negligent cyclist.

I know that registration doesn't help *stop* bike theft. As far as I
know, it's only function is in bike recovery.

How many cyclists here make it a point to get thier bikes registered?

Regards,
Cullen
Old September 27th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

wrote
Hello,

After reading the "Bike Theft" thread, I did an internet search for
ways to prevent bike theft.

On this website (http://www.linfield.edu/safety/preventing-bicycle-
theft.php), they suggest people to register thier bikes.

I haven't done this since I was a little kid, and I wondered if I was
just being an irresponsible, negligent cyclist.

I know that registration doesn't help *stop* bike theft. As far as I
know, it's only function is in bike recovery.

How many cyclists here make it a point to get thier bikes registered?

Regards,
Cullen

Why would anyone want to register a bike? I don't see not having
registration as being irresponsible at all. Why can't pictures of the bike
with serial number & receipt serve just as well as any registration?

Seems like that site is for a college campus.

Old September 27th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Why would anyone want to register a bike? I don't see not
having registration as being irresponsible at all. Why
can't pictures of the bike with serial number & receipt
serve just as well as any registration?

=v= The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a form you can
fill out and put in a safe place (e.g. the freezer):

http://www.sfbike.org/download/resources/freezer.pdf

_Jym_

--
Green Bay Steelers for Truth

Old September 27th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On Sep 27, 11:14*am, "Roger Zoul" wrote:
[...]

Seems like that site is for a college campus.- Hide quoted text -

All that's really needed to help recovery is the serial number and a
brief non-technical description. A receipt would be handy to reclaim
it if and when it is recovered Glenn got it right farther dowthread.
It isn't a recovery issue. It is just another tax.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old September 28th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
sergio

On 27 Set, 18:37, Glenn Holliday wrote:
wrote:
I know that registration doesn't help *stop* bike theft. As far as I
know, it's only function is in bike recovery.

I did register when I lived in a big city, thinking it
might help if I needed recovery. *When I went in to
register I asked the police dept folks at the counter,
and they said *"It doesn't help. *It's only a tax."

Believe it or not, that kind of service has been started here in Pisa
(Italy) last year. With much fanfare by the local politicians
administrators, as if it would be a great service to the city.
How stupid!

Sergio
Pisa
Old September 30th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Sep 26, 6:49*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

After reading the "Bike Theft" thread, I did an internet search for
ways to prevent bike theft.

On this website (http://www.linfield.edu/safety/preventing-bicycle-
theft.php), they suggest people to register thier bikes.

I haven't done this since I was a little kid, and I wondered if I was
just being an irresponsible, negligent cyclist.

I know that registration doesn't help *stop* bike theft. As far as I
know, it's only function is in bike recovery.

How many cyclists here make it a point to get thier bikes registered?

Regards,
Cullen

I've got to do a better job of registering them than I have.

One bike that I did register was given to my daughter, who eventually
sold it at a yard sale. I just got a call from the police in a nearby
township, who had found the bike. My daugther's trying to run down
the purchaser, who lives in her general neighborhood in West Bend, WI,
but she doesn't know his name or exactly where he lives. Anyway, the
Town of Trenton police took the trouble to call the Germantown police
to get my name from the number on the sticker on the bike, and
followed up with a call to me.
Old October 1st 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Király

wrote:
I know that registration doesn't help *stop* bike theft. As far as I
know, it's only function is in bike recovery.

How many cyclists here make it a point to get thier bikes registered?

There is no registration system where I live. I have had my driver's
license number engraved on my bike (no serial number on it). If you do
the same or record your bike's serial number and keep it in a safe
place, that is as good as any registration system for getting it back
after a theft.

Around here, the cops do take bike theft seriously and they do
co-operate with pawn shops to ensure stolen bikes are recovered and
returned. There is an electronic registry of the serial numbers of
stolen bikes that is shared between police and pawn shops. But we have
no mandatory bike reigstration system here. The onus is on bike onwers
to keep a record of their serial number and report it to police if their
bike is stolen. Those who don't bother to write the serial number down
of course will never see their bikes again, but many who have have
reported success at getting their bikes back.

The determining factor is how seriously your local police take bike
theft recovery. If the cops just don't care about recovery of stolen
bikes, then no registration system or recording of serial numbers is
going to help.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

buc registration manic_mark Unicycling 3 May 2nd 06 12:26 AM
Bike registration nonsense ken Australia 0 April 20th 06 04:57 AM
BUC Pre-registration joemarshall Unicycling 15 April 15th 06 06:15 PM
OUI 05 Registration karl Unicycling 8 May 28th 05 07:56 AM
About NYC Bike Registration dgk General 0 December 4th 04 10:48 PM