electrolyte replacement

Old March 19th 07, 11:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Harng Goh

Default electrolyte replacement

On Mar 20, 9:29 am, Artoi wrote:
In article .com,
"Harng Goh" wrote:

I've tried Staminade a few times, and always end up with the same
problem - it doesn't seem to mix properly. Maybe it's something to do
with my bottles, my shaking technique (is it up down up down, or up
down left right? Hey, sounds like a Tekken move) or how the water
comes out of the tap in my kitchen, but it always gets stuck in a big
lump at the bottom of the bottle. I then have to break up said big
lump and shake for 5 minutes until the little lumps finally dissolve.
I finished the tub and switched back to Gatorade. Figuring I might
have had a dodgy batch, I try the Staminade again with the same
result. What am I doing wrong??

You don't do any cooking at home do you? Ever made a cake?

Like any mix powder, a bit of hot/warm water to dissolve the powder and
then top it up with cold water.
--

haha... I live by myself, so I do have to cook. Simple things which I
didn't think of trying though. Duh... hot water...

Old March 20th 07, 12:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Bleve wrote:
DaveB wrote:

What's the relevance of magnesium? I've always used Powerade because
I prefer the taste over some of the others but never looked that
closely at the contents.

It's part of a salt that's linked to cramps, or rather, the lack of it
is

I thought it was the lack of potassium that was linked to cramps?

Theo

Old March 20th 07, 12:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
a5hi5m[_3_]

Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Bleve wrote:
DaveB wrote:

What's the relevance of magnesium? I've always used Powerade because
I prefer the taste over some of the others but never looked that
closely at the contents.

It's part of a salt that's linked to cramps, or rather, the lack of

it
is

I thought it was the lack of potassium that was linked to cramps?

Theo

Lack or excess of either/both can be linked to problems with cramps,
similarly calcium if i remember correctly.

Ash

--
a5hi5m

Old March 20th 07, 01:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych[_13_]

a5hi5m Wrote:
Lack or excess of either/both can be linked to problems with cramps,
similarly calcium if i remember correctly.

Ash

Correct! Gold star for Ash

--
warrwych

Old March 20th 07, 01:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

a5hi5m wrote:
Theo Bekkers Wrote:

I thought it was the lack of potassium that was linked to cramps?

Lack or excess of either/both can be linked to problems with cramps,
similarly calcium if i remember correctly.

A banana a day.......

Theo

Old March 20th 07, 05:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Russ

a5hi5m wrote:
Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Bleve wrote:
DaveB wrote:
What's the relevance of magnesium? I've always used Powerade because
I prefer the taste over some of the others but never looked that
closely at the contents.
It's part of a salt that's linked to cramps, or rather, the lack of

it
is

I thought it was the lack of potassium that was linked to cramps?

Theo

Lack or excess of either/both can be linked to problems with cramps,
similarly calcium if i remember correctly.

I'd be more worried about arrythmias with the excess of potassium

Oh, you know, because it's inefficient! Would hate an irregular
heartbeat to affect performance!

Russ.
Old March 20th 07, 10:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article ,
"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Bleve wrote:
DaveB wrote:

What's the relevance of magnesium? I've always used Powerade because
I prefer the taste over some of the others but never looked that
closely at the contents.

It's part of a salt that's linked to cramps, or rather, the lack of it
is

I thought it was the lack of potassium that was linked to cramps?

Lack of either can give your heart and skeletal muscle the twitch.
Old March 20th 07, 12:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Martin

OzCableguy wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good electrolyte drink powder that I can mix up into
a biddon, is easy to get hold of, works, tastes ok and doesn't cost the
earth?

Almost all the studies and guidelines I have read on this topic agree
that the only mineral in sweat that might be important to replace is
sodium. Recent evidence, however, suggests that we don't need to replace
electrolytes during exercise. See

http://tinyurl.com/2gsvym

This paper suggests that we need only about 65 mmol of sodium (1.5 grams
of sodium, equivalent to about 4 grams of salt) of sodium per day.

See also www.saltmatters.org for very strong evidence supporting 50
mmol/day (about 1 gram of sodium or 3 grams of salt) as an upper limit
for sodium intake from all sources. Trevor Beard and others suggest that
most of us eat way too much salt, even if we don't cook with salt or put
salt on our food. We get much more salt than we need from processed
foods like bread. Too much salt causes health problems, mainly high
blood pressure, even in people who exercise a lot. See also
http://tinyurl.com/36cn5j.

www.saltmatters.org (see 'Safety issues') suggests that we loose a lot
less (about 70 - 85% less) sodium in sweat if we eat a low salt diet.

My limited experience: Fow a few years I got headaches a few hours after
a moderate ride (30 - 60 km solo or in a group at about 27 - 30 km/hr ).
Headache is one of the symptoms of hyponatraemia (low blood sodium).
I started putting salt in my water bottle and the headaches seemed to
stop. I have been on a low salt diet for about 6 weeks now - no
additional salt in my water bottle and no post-ride headaches (so far).

I am interested to hear other cyclists' experience with post-ride headaches.

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.
Old March 21st 07, 12:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"Harng Goh" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've tried Staminade a few times, and always end up with the same
problem - it doesn't seem to mix properly. Maybe it's something to do
with my bottles, my shaking technique (is it up down up down, or up
down left right? Hey, sounds like a Tekken move) or how the water
comes out of the tap in my kitchen, but it always gets stuck in a big
lump at the bottom of the bottle. I then have to break up said big
lump and shake for 5 minutes until the little lumps finally dissolve.
I finished the tub and switched back to Gatorade. Figuring I might
have had a dodgy batch, I try the Staminade again with the same
result. What am I doing wrong??

I found if you put the powder in first or drop it in all at once you'll get
lumps but if you sprinkle it in and stir it works out fine.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old March 21st 07, 12:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych[_15_]

Martin Wrote:
OzCableguy wrote:
[...]

).
Headache is one of the symptoms of hyponatraemia (low blood sodium).
I started putting salt in my water bottle and the headaches seemed to
stop. I have been on a low salt diet for about 6 weeks now - no
additional salt in my water bottle and no post-ride headaches (so
far).

I am interested to hear other cyclists' experience with post-ride
headaches.

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.

you are saying that all electrolytes = sodium. The study you site ONLY
refers to sodium. it does not discuss calcium, potassium, magnesium
etc.

I'd like to see some of this research you allude to regarding "the only
mineral in sweat that might be important to replace is sodium."

The conversation was about cramping, and using electrolytes (in
general) to help with this issue.

--
warrwych

hub replacement lucky_8 Unicycling 7 June 14th 06 06:01 PM
still no replacement wafflycat UK 7 June 9th 06 09:44 PM
DIY hub replacement Chris Smith UK 8 April 5th 06 06:11 PM
Elete Electrolyte Water (16oz w/ two 24.6ml bottles) - $27.99 Emilio Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 09:25 PM
24 Hr. replacement hell-on-wheel Unicycling 7 May 11th 05 07:51 PM