Bright lights

Old December 20th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

Default Bright lights

So, I don't know if you've heard, but apparently there's this new "LED"
technology that's all the rage among the cool kids these days.

Ahem.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I've taken the plunge with some
friends and ordered a whole bunch of flashlights with SSC P7-C emitters.
Lighting nerds will recognize this as Seoul Semiconductors latest and
greatest commodity emitter. It can produce up to 900 lumens when running
at max rated voltage (4.2V). In this application, it is powered by a
rechargeable lithium battery.

The not-secret is that these flashlights are well ahead of the
bike-specific lighting market, and you can buy bike mounts. If anyone
wants to reproduce my setup, here's what we ordered:

Flashlight:

Batteries:

Charger:

Cheesy plastic bike mount:

No particular endorsement of DealExtreme intended he they had this
stuff, the prices were good, and about five of us saved a small amount
by grouping an order and using their BULKRATE code.

This is mostly a preview post. I promise to have something to say about
the lights once I have them in hand.

Old December 20th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Flashlight:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15691

Batteries:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

Charger:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105

Cheesy plastic bike mount:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15642

No particular endorsement of DealExtreme intended he they had this
stuff, the prices were good, and about five of us saved a small amount
by grouping an order and using their BULKRATE code.

This is mostly a preview post. I promise to have something to say about
the lights once I have them in hand.

If there was a 2 cell version of that light with 3h runtime for 30
bucks--the temptation to mount two of 'em frogeye stylee on my front
Nashbar platform rack might be way too tempting. I figure I can ride
the local wetlands in pitch blackness with a bungeed 3C cell Mag at
10mph and that's 130 lumens, but with 1500 lumens, I can go 100mph!
Hell, yeah!
Old December 20th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:07:06 +0000, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

[...]

great, just what we need - more assholes that don't understand that
shining this **** into the eyes of other cyclists is highly
objectionable. when are cyclists going to discover what auto
manufacturers have known for nearly 100 years? use diffusers people - the
light should be on the ground, not the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Old December 20th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

I do have this one (Cree Q5 LED) in hand:

I haven't mounted it on a bike yet, but I have used it quite a bit. My
impression is that it's plenty bright for road cycling, marginal for
off-road, being about equivalent to a 10W halogen. It's fairly "floody",
at 10' throwing about a 2' spot and a 10' (fairly bright) "spill". Seems
like a nearly ideal beam for biking as opposed to my head-mounted 3W
light which has a smaller spot and less/dimmer spill.

My concern with the P7 lights is that they might be actually too bright
(900 lumen vs 230). The P7 is actually a quad die, with 4 adjacent LED
chips under the single lens.

The light I bought has a "buck/boost" regulator, so it can run on a
single or dual AA Nicad, NiMh, or alkaline, or a single lithium. I
tested this and it ran with even a single nearly dead alkaline. The low
power mode is efficient since it uses a switching regulator. Max output
runtime is about 2 hr with 2 cells. I figure I can easily ride all night
(summer) with 8, AA's. In a pinch I can use convenience store batteries.

I have been using the 1W LEDs for a few years, both head mounted and
handlebar mounted. They were pretty marginal, close to a 2.5W halogen
like the Cateye micro or the Bell whatever-it-was. The 3W LEDs are a
different experience altogether, especially the more recent models like
the Q5. You really have to see one to appreciate how bright it actually is.

For a flashlight handlebar mount, the more expensive Fenix ($8.40) gets
really good reviews, but mine is still back-ordered.

I think I will make a small hood for mine with some aluminum tubing to
mask the upper part of the beam for bike riding. The default circular
beam of a very bright flashlight could be pretty obnoxious to oncoming
traffic.

By all means get back with your P7 review. I'm interested in buying one
for off-road mountain biking. It should be a flame thrower.
Old December 20th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The brighter the better I am more worried about my vision and safety
than if others find lights too bright.

On Dec 20, 12:25*pm, jim beam wrote:
[...]

light should be on the ground, not the eyes of oncoming traffic.- Hide quoted text -

Old December 20th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:03:55 -0800, bigjimpack wrote:

The brighter the better I am more worried about my vision and safety
than if others find lights too bright.

would it help focus your attention if i rode into you and punched your
dumbass brains out you selfish piece of ****? i am ****ing SICK of
assholes with their retina-destroying point-sources shining their led's in
the eyes of their fellow cyclists.

Old December 20th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Wear sunglasses . I'm not scared of someone who never learned to look
to the side while riding or driving

On Dec 20, 1:31*pm, jim beam wrote

Old December 20th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 20, 6:03*pm, wrote:
The brighter the better I am more worried about *my vision and safety
than if others find *lights too bright.

That seems like a self-defeating plan. If you blind another road user
with a sharp light carelessly disposed, you make it more likely that
he will crash into you. Surely, if the purpose of the lights is your
"safety", you want to use your lights to enchance your safety, not
endanger it recklessly. -- Andre Jute

Old December 20th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:51:52 -0800, bigjimpack wrote:

Wear sunglasses .

at night??? **** dude, you're even dumber than i thought.

I'm not scared of someone who never learned to look
to the side while riding or driving

look out for me asshole - i'll ride straight into you. and make you hurt.

On Dec 20, 1:31Â*pm, jim beam wrote

would it help focus your attention if i rode into you and punched your
dumbass brains out you selfish piece of ****? Â*i am ****ing SICK of

Old December 20th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:51:52 -0800, bigjimpack wrote:

Wear sunglasses .

at night??? **** dude, you're even dumber than i thought.

I'm not scared of someone who never learned to look
to the side while riding or driving

look out for me asshole - i'll ride straight into you. and make you hurt.

e-fight! e-fight!

J.

Emergency Discharge Tube; When Conventional Lights Aren't Bright Enough Bret Cahill Techniques 12 December 13th 06 05:50 AM
Bright lights [email protected] UK 18 November 8th 06 08:08 AM
Looking for Cateye spares (mounts), and some REALLY bright but cheap LED lights. Jonathan UK 4 December 9th 05 03:58 PM
yokel sees the bright lights! byron27 Australia 22 May 10th 04 05:00 AM