Don't ride on the footway

Old August 5th 13, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Don't ride on the footway

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

Old August 5th 13, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 05/08/2013 16:57, MrCheerful wrote:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

15 years of age...

weary shake of the head
Old August 5th 13, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:57:32 +0100, "MrCheerful"
wrote:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

I am not convinced the coroner has his facts right:

=====Quote=====
Cyclists are not permitted by law to ride on the path but Mr Roberts
added: “We all know people do that.”
=====/Quote=====

But this appears to be the path the hapless youth was cycling along:
http://goo.gl/maps/KtTT5

It is not a footway by the side of the road, and so is not covered by
Setion 72 of the 1935 Highways Act.

Neither is there any evidence of signage either end of the path
prohibiting cycling:
http://goo.gl/maps/Is6ce
Old August 5th 13, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

I cannot believe it:

An inquest into the death of the Richard Rose Central Academy pupil heard how
he slammed his brakes on but hurtled over the handlebars of his bike.

My thoughts are with his family.

Old August 5th 13, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:01:16 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

snip

It is not a footway by the side of the road, and so is not covered by
Setion 72 of the 1935 Highways Act.

Neither is there any evidence of signage either end of the path
prohibiting cycling:
http://goo.gl/maps/Is6ce

Yes you can see that anyone but the cyclist is to blame. He was cycling so fast
down the footpath (because he has every right to do so) - possibly
inconveniencing and frightening elderly pedestrians - that he ran in to the
road and was killed. Well he won't do that again.

Let's find someone to blame.

Hang on a minute: I can think of someone .......

Old August 5th 13, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

wrote:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

I am not convinced the coroner has his facts right:

Please write to the coroner and supply him with the correct facts. I am
sure he will show his gratitude by replying with a thank you message.

Old August 5th 13, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

I am not convinced the coroner has his facts right:

=====Quote=====
Cyclists are not permitted by law to ride on the path but Mr Roberts
added: "We all know people do that."
=====/Quote=====

But this appears to be the path the hapless youth was cycling along:
http://goo.gl/maps/KtTT5

It is not a footway by the side of the road, and so is not covered by
Setion 72 of the 1935 Highways Act.

Neither is there any evidence of signage either end of the path
prohibiting cycling:
http://goo.gl/maps/Is6ce

did the cyclist jump his bike over the footway? or hover? How did his
brake work if he was not touching the ground? How did he fly over the
handlebars with no retardation?

Old August 5th 13, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 20:28:16 +0100, "MrCheerful"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

I am not convinced the coroner has his facts right:

=====Quote=====
Cyclists are not permitted by law to ride on the path but Mr Roberts
added: "We all know people do that."
=====/Quote=====

But this appears to be the path the hapless youth was cycling along:
http://goo.gl/maps/KtTT5

It is not a footway by the side of the road, and so is not covered by
Setion 72 of the 1935 Highways Act.

Neither is there any evidence of signage either end of the path
prohibiting cycling:
http://goo.gl/maps/Is6ce

did the cyclist jump his bike over the footway? or hover? How did his
brake work if he was not touching the ground? How did he fly over the
handlebars with no retardation?

As I am sure Nugent will confirm, crossing the footway is permitted.
Old August 5th 13, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill Merton

On 05/08/2013 16:57, MrCheerful wrote:
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#

God, you make me sick.
Old August 5th 13, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"Bill Merton" wrote in message ...

On 05/08/2013 16:57, MrCheerful wrote:
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/te...ner-1.1075130#