Ban bright car lights

Old December 28th 15, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Norman Rowing[_3_]

Default Ban bright car lights

On 28/12/2015 16:13, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:31:34 -0000, Norman Rowing
wrote:

On 28/12/2015 14:59, Kinnell wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:01:22 -0000, Norman Rowing
wrote:

On 27/12/2015 21:31, Mr Macaw wrote:
https://www.change.org/p/minister-of...vehicle-lights

The law is clear: Highway Code rule 114 [Law RVLR reg 27] "You MUST
NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to
other
road users, including pedestrians and cyclists"

Except the Highway Code carries no legal weight at all

I class any light when it isn't dark as a distraction. You should
only draw attention to yourself if you need to, for example you're
turning, braking, or an unusual vehicle like an ambulance, motorcycle,
etc. If everybody has lights, then you are less likely to notice the
ones you need to.

--
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.

With ordinary tungsten filament lamps the brightness was limted to a
maximum of 21 watts for each headlight on a car,

45W, indicators and brake lights were 21W, sidelights 5W IIRC

Every headlight bulb I've ever seen for the last 30 years has been
55/65W (dual filament). 55 for dip and 65 for full.

You are a youngster then.

Now common sense would make us read that as 55 or 65W OUTPUT if the bulb
is made more efficient. Fitting a 55W LED for example would be the
equivalent of 550W of tungsten, which would be beyond a joke.

Old December 28th 15, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Norman Rowing[_3_]

On 28/12/2015 16:29, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 12/28/2015 7:09 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:04:59 -0000, Colonel Edmund J. Burke
wrote:

On 12/27/2015 1:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
https://www.change.org/p/minister-of...vehicle-lights

Minister of transport? Wot a laughable title, wot a ridiculous
government run by an old whore.
LOL

At least our leader is white.

Your "leader" is an old woman.
LOL

Purfect for a pansified island nation, I reckon.
LOL

Cameron has to have a team of 300 advisors travel with him to make
decisions for him.

Old December 28th 15, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Tosspot[_3_]

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...e/introduction

Old December 28th 15, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:38:39 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 16:13:51 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Every headlight bulb I've ever seen for the last 30 years has been 55/65W (dual filament). 55 for dip and 65 for full.

Now common sense would make us read that as 55 or 65W OUTPUT if the bulb is made more efficient. Fitting a 55W LED for example would be the equivalent of 550W of tungsten, which would be beyond a joke.

I wondered why that car driver told me that my 4000 lumen front bike light was too bright.

What made you think it wasn't? Have you ever thought to compare it to a car headlamp?

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic -- Arthur C Clarke
Old December 28th 15, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Mr Macaw

wrote:

[...]

Maybe they didn't used to be able to make them that bright - before halogen?

--
I'm not as drunk as thinkle may peep.
Old December 28th 15, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Mr Macaw

wrote:

On 12/27/2015 1:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
https://www.change.org/p/minister-of...vehicle-lights

Minister of transport? Wot a laughable title, wot a ridiculous
government run by an old whore.
LOL

At least our leader is white.

Your "leader" is an old woman.
LOL

Thatcher is long gone.

Purfect for a pansified island nation, I reckon.
LOL

What do you mean? Our leader enjoys fox hunting :-)

Old December 28th 15, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Mr Macaw

wrote:

On 12/27/2015 1:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
https://www.change.org/p/minister-of...vehicle-lights

Minister of transport? Wot a laughable title, wot a ridiculous
government run by an old whore.
LOL

At least our leader is white.

Your "leader" is an old woman.
LOL

Purfect for a pansified island nation, I reckon.
LOL

Cameron has to have a team of 300 advisors travel with him to make
decisions for him.

Bush did the same. He couldn't even speak English without help.

https://youtu.be/DEbZqvMu2cQ?t=20s

--
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, "dam".
Old December 28th 15, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:49:31 -0000, Tosspot wrote:

On 28/12/15 13:01, Norman Rowing wrote:
On 27/12/2015 21:31, Mr Macaw wrote:
https://www.change.org/p/minister-of...vehicle-lights

The law is clear: Highway Code rule 114 [Law RVLR reg 27] "You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other
road users, including pedestrians and cyclists"

Except the Highway Code carries no legal weight at all

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...e/introduction

Indeed. [Locates relevant part]

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

--
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
Old December 28th 15, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 28 December 2015 16:53:36 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:38:39 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 28 December 2015 16:13:51 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Every headlight bulb I've ever seen for the last 30 years has been 55/65W (dual filament). 55 for dip and 65 for full.

Now common sense would make us read that as 55 or 65W OUTPUT if the bulb is made more efficient. Fitting a 55W LED for example would be the equivalent of 550W of tungsten, which would be beyond a joke.

I wondered why that car driver told me that my 4000 lumen front bike light was too bright.

What made you think it wasn't? Have you ever thought to compare it to a car headlamp?

Yes - a car headlamp is 700 lumen, so my bike light is nearly six times as bright - he had a point.

Old December 28th 15, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Norman Rowing[_3_]

On 28/12/2015 16:49, Tosspot wrote:
On 28/12/15 13:01, Norman Rowing wrote:
On 27/12/2015 21:31, Mr Macaw wrote:
https://www.change.org/p/minister-of...vehicle-lights

The law is clear: Highway Code rule 114 [Law RVLR reg 27] "You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other
road users, including pedestrians and cyclists"

Except the Highway Code carries no legal weight at all

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...e/introduction

As I said, you will never be charged with breaking a rule of the Highway
Code.

use lights and wear bright clothes at night, how dim are these cyclists? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 24 September 12th 10 06:28 AM
Bright Lights II: into the woods Ryan Cousineau Techniques 6 February 4th 09 02:19 PM
Bright lights Ryan Cousineau Techniques 76 January 2nd 09 06:12 AM
Bright lights [email protected] UK 18 November 8th 06 08:08 AM
yokel sees the bright lights! byron27 Australia 22 May 10th 04 05:00 AM