Uni as in one as in lonely sport

Old August 21st 05, 03:58 PM
Chrashing

Default Uni as in one as in lonely sport

I have a year under my belt riding and am enjoying my daily hour ride.
(even with the hot humid NY summer). Recently I've progressed outside
the neighborhood off the flatland into parks with hills.

I love the hills, what a challenge it is to roll up and go down them,
especially like practicing turning sideways and hopping up them. But
I'm still not getting to my point.

I'm now somewhat public with my riding, passing people all the time,
even riding by crowds watching baseball, basketball and bands at the
park. (My riding by has even paused a few games) People seem very
positive, but I still do not know another rider in the Poughkeepsie NY
area.

I don't mind riding alone, but It would be fun to share skills with
others. I'd start a club but until I find one other member that seems
lame.

I'm thinking I'll go down to the local EMS sports store, and my favorite
b*ke shop and ask them if they have any sport events/demo's that I could
join in and promote Muni'ing. Cool idea? Anyone done this? Does it
work? Seems like it might at least help promote the sport.

As for the demos I could show the forward, backward, hoping and idling.
Not the greatest of skills but enough to impress the those bipeds.

--
Chrashing - Unicycles are flying machines!

Regards,
Ken
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Old August 21st 05, 05:16 PM
redhead

(even with the hot humid NY summer)

NY what Im in south florida 2 or 3 days ago with the humidy the weather
man said it should feel like 110 ahhhhh

--
redhead - South Florida's Unicycle Club
redhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9985

Old August 21st 05, 06:22 PM
Brian MacKenzie

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/att...postid=213133]

--
Brian MacKenzie - Infection is your finest flower

'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
(HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

'ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain' - markf

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*122* reviews on *79* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old August 21st 05, 07:11 PM
Chrashing

redhead wrote:
*NY what Im in south Florida 2 or 3 days ago with the humidy the
weather man said it should feel like 110 ahhhhh *

You have me beat with the heat there in Florida redhead.

Related to heat, sweat. I read an article in the paper today about the
amount of water needed while exercising. It described weighing yourself
before and after 1 hour of exercise, and that's the amount of water an
you should drink. So I measured, 2.5 pounds, that times 16 is the
number of ounces, or 40 oz of water an hour! I am amazed, and would
find it hard to believe if I didn't measure it myself.

Stay cool

Old August 21st 05, 07:13 PM
Chrashing

Brian MacKenzie wrote:
*[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/att...postid=213133] *

Hello Brian,
That's a great cycling buddy! Maybe he can carry the water.

Old August 21st 05, 09:04 PM
fcwegnm0b

There's a group from Ithaca, but that's quite the drive.

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

"You build a wood contraception that slides over it and has a removable
pin at the top to keep it in place" - carsonpalooza

fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

Old August 21st 05, 09:24 PM
Brian MacKenzie

PS

Chrashing wrote:
*I have a year under my belt *

Happy Anniversary!

Old August 21st 05, 09:46 PM
Mikefule

I love that about this forum: you post on the loneliness of the long
distance unicyclist and you get replies comparing humidity.

I like the solitary aspect of unicycling. It gives me space to think,
and there's no worry about whether I'm holding someone back, or driving
them too hard.

However, it is only by seeing others ride that you can gain a new
insight into what can be achieved, and how to achieve it. It's also a
great feeling now and again to ride in a group.

best of all, when someone asks, "Where's your other wheel?" you can say,
"He's on it."

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

http://www.dolphin-morris.co.uk/

Old August 22nd 05, 12:39 AM
peter.bier

Chrashing wrote:
*I'd start a club but until I find one other member that seems lame.

I'm thinking I'll go down to the local EMS sports store, and my
favorite b*ke shop and ask them if they have any sport events/demo's
that I could join in and promote Muni'ing. Cool idea? Anyone done
this? Does it work? Seems like it might at least help promote the
sport.

*

I too had a long time of being a lone rider.

Here are some thoughts which might be helpful:

Chances are there is someone else out there who rides, its just a matter
of finding them. The vast majority of unicyclists do not post on the
internet so try a few of the following avenues
-ask everyone who comments on your unicycling if they know of anyone
else who rides, get contact details if possible
-check if there is a juggling shop or club in the area, you can often
find existing riders or potential converts at juggling clubs
-if you find a shop selling juggling gear, ask if you can post a notice
for people to contact you if they want to go for a ride.
-check and see if any of the local schools teach circus skills as part
of their ciriculum.

One way of starting a club is to offer free lessons to people. Then you
only need 1 person who can ride, several people keen to learn and spare
uni or two. If you find some people willing to learn, chances are
eventually some one will get really hooked. Get them into Muni and,
bingo, you have a riding partner! Students are often keen to give it a
go so a local university or school is a good place to put up a notice.

The demos that have worked the best for us are are the show some skills
and then "try it out yourself kind". These are far more likely to
result in people getting into it than just watching some one else do it.
Any large gathering of people milling around is a good oportunity for a
demo. Try out local cycle races if there are any, or any fares etc.

All the best for starting a club.

--
peter.bier - Posting since 97

-Peter Bier