Successful Slime

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 20th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Successful Slime

Like a good boy, I gave both tires on my upside-down bike a quick
squeeze before heading off on my daily ride.

Drat! My front tire had gone flat as a pancake overnight.

Peering myopically at the tire, I soon found a broken-off goathead
thorn and dug it out with the end of a paper-clip.

After replacing the tube and pumping the tire up, I felt pleased
because the Slime tube had let me get home and fix the flat indoors,
where it was warm and comfortable, rather than by the side of the road
in the cold wind and melting snow.

I slapped the front wheel into place and thought that I might as well
pump the rear tire up, even though it was fine. The Presta valve
popped open at about 110 psi, which was where it should be, but I
still felt virtuous because I'd checked instead of riding off with a
possibly soft tire.

In fact, I felt so noble that I spun the rear tire slowly on my
upside-down bike, just to check for cuts or--

Drat!

http://i2.tinypic.com/6omzu54.jpg

http://i8.tinypic.com/86js66g.jpg

That little tuft of white fibers mixed in with green Slime makes it
hard to pretend that nothing is wrong. The whole tuft was stuck in the
tread and pulled out of the tube when I removed the deflated tube.

I decided that I was really pleased that _both_ my Slime tubes held
air through yesterday's ride, but I may not be quite as pleased
tomorrow if it happens again.

Anyway, the pictures let people see what Slime tube users mean when
they talk about the little white fibers.

Goathead thorn tip from front tire, tuft of Slime fibers from rear:

http://i13.tinypic.com/6lj0krb.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel