Wide rims built by siamese mounting skinny rims

Old February 6th 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_60_]

Default Wide rims built by siamese mounting skinny rims

I acquirred a nearly built up Turner all wheel drive kit. It has a
mountain bike rear wheel built up. The individual was building the
front wheel by strapping 2 skinny rims together then lacing spokes to
each (they look like 650C although I haven't measured, and if so that
might further confound tire selection). Can these be built safely in
this manner?

--
meb

Old February 6th 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Feb 6, 12:51 am, meb
wrote:
I acquirred a nearly built up Turner all wheel drive kit. It has a
mountain bike rear wheel built up. The individual was building the
front wheel by strapping 2 skinny rims together then lacing spokes to
each (they look like 650C although I haven't measured, and if so that
might further confound tire selection). Can these be built safely in
this manner?

--
meb

How are tires being mounted? 2 skinny tires side-by-side, or 1 fat
tire straddling both rims? In the latter case, I'm curious how the
tube would tolerate the 2 beads sticking up in the middle. presumably,
one would lace the spokes from one flange to the opposite-sided rim,
thus pulling the two rims against each other.

The idea makes my head hurt. If you want a really wide rim & tire and
have clearance, get a Surly Large Marge rim & Endomorph 4" tire.
Old February 6th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 19:51:30 +1100, meb
may have said:

I acquirred a nearly built up Turner all wheel drive kit. It has a
mountain bike rear wheel built up. The individual was building the
front wheel by strapping 2 skinny rims together then lacing spokes to
each (they look like 650C although I haven't measured, and if so that
might further confound tire selection). Can these be built safely in
this manner?

Sounds like a recipe for unwanted results. I wouldn't even try this
with somebody else's stuff. Inter-rim squirm and friction, ditto for
the tires if two are mounted, wierd tube stresses if the thing has one
tire spanning the two rims; no, it sounds like a really bad idea to
me.

Old February 6th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 04:12:20 -0800 (PST), Hank wrote:

On Feb 6, 12:51 am, meb
wrote:
I acquirred a nearly built up Turner all wheel drive kit. It has a
mountain bike rear wheel built up. The individual was building the
front wheel by strapping 2 skinny rims together then lacing spokes to
each (they look like 650C although I haven't measured, and if so that
might further confound tire selection). Can these be built safely in
this manner?

--
meb

How are tires being mounted? 2 skinny tires side-by-side, or 1 fat
tire straddling both rims? In the latter case, I'm curious how the
tube would tolerate the 2 beads sticking up in the middle.

Two tubes.
Old February 6th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_61_]

Hank Wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:51 am, meb
wrote:
[...]

I had presumed one tube and one tire, but two tires and tubes would get
around the center flange issues and solve the diameter bead match issue
if those are 650C as they appear with a 559 tire.

The rear is a 559. Presumably one wants to match front and rear tire
diameters because while there are both manual and freewheeling clutches
on the drive from the rear wheel to the front that allow the front to
turn faster than the rear, to get the full benefit of the awd, you want
both front and rear tires pulling on the intermediate coefficient
surfaces.

I've known of persons siamese welding rims together to mount car tires
on bikes, but that would 1) seem stronger than straps; and 2) be
dictated by necessity given lack of off the shelf bike wheels wide
enough for car tires.

--
meb

Old February 6th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

meb wrote:
I had presumed one tube and one tire, but two tires and tubes would get
around the center flange issues and solve the diameter bead match issue
if those are 650C as they appear with a 559 tire.
The rear is a 559. Presumably one wants to match front and rear tire
diameters because while there are both manual and freewheeling clutches
on the drive from the rear wheel to the front that allow the front to
turn faster than the rear, to get the full benefit of the awd, you want
both front and rear tires pulling on the intermediate coefficient
surfaces.
I've known of persons siamese welding rims together to mount car tires
on bikes, but that would 1) seem stronger than straps; and 2) be
dictated by necessity given lack of off the shelf bike wheels wide
enough for car tires.

The worst is doing well that which should not have been done at all -
Peter Drucker.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 6th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_127_]

meb Wrote:
I acquirred a nearly built up Turner all wheel drive kit. It has a
mountain bike rear wheel built up. The individual was building the
front wheel by strapping 2 skinny rims together .. Can these be built
safely in this manner?

I've seen that too, but never up close enough to get any detail. If I
were to hazard a guess I'd say that merely a weird cross-lace wouldn't
be enough to lock the rims together by itself.

I thought I'd be able to suggest a better option by 'this link, '
(http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/rims.htm) but then I discovered the
sad disclaimer saying "no longer in production."

--
dabac

Old February 6th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Feb 6, 1:04*pm, dabac
wrote:

I thought I'd be able to suggest a better option by 'this link, '
(http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/rims.htm) but then I discovered the
sad disclaimer saying "no longer in production."

FWIW, those rims were 44mm wide. Surly Large Marge rims are 65mm.
Old February 7th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_65_]

dabac Wrote:
I've seen that too, but never up close enough to get any detail. If I
were to hazard a guess I'd say that merely a weird cross-lace wouldn't
be enough to lock the rims together by itself.

I thought I'd be able to suggest a better option by 'this link, '
(http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/rims.htm) but then I discovered the
sad disclaimer saying "no longer in production."

It looks like the snow cat was intended for the purpose of getting
extra wide tires on the bike. I can use 26x 1.95 -2.15 for my current
purposes.

I think the snow cat rims would best be matched front and rear when
used with the Turner awd so both wheels would have the same road speed.

Since I have a built rear suitable for 26x 1.95-2.15, it might be
better to just get a similar rim for the front-particularly since there
doesn't appear to be anyone comfortable with the lacing approach working
or knowing any tricks to make it work.

--
meb

Old February 7th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_142_]

meb Wrote:
It looks like the snow cat was intended for the purpose of getting extra
wide tires on the bike. I can use 26x 1.95 -2.15 for my current
purposes.

I think the snow cat rims would best be matched front and rear when
used with the Turner awd so both wheels would have the same road speed.

Since I have a built rear suitable for 26x 1.95-2.15, it might be
better to just get a similar rim for the front-particularly since there
doesn't appear to be anyone comfortable with the lacing approach working
or knowing any tricks to make it work.

Surly Large Marge are 65 mm wide.

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/largemarge_pop.html

--
daveornee

Best All-Purpose Tires for Wide Azonic Outlaw Rims? Fitz Techniques 1 May 26th 07 01:45 PM
FA/FS: Tubular Rims, all NOS including Pista Rims Gemma_k Marketplace 0 March 26th 05 10:25 PM
V-Rims vs. Disc Rims Reader UK 6 April 28th 04 08:43 AM
WTT: Mavic Reflex rims for Velocity Escape rims Chip Atkins Marketplace 0 December 24th 03 03:28 AM
WTT: Mavic Reflex rims for Velocity Escape rims Chip Atkins Marketplace 0 December 10th 03 01:08 PM