Trend??

Old October 22nd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sandy

Default Trend??

OK, hanging out on the grass of B de Boul, I see a guy come around on a
single-speed (fw) - no decals visible, flat bar, and WITH aerobars.
So, I take this for a freak event and sit around some more and he comes
by again, but too soon. Figured I lost a sense of time, maybe. Then
he comes around again, but much too soon, so I figure there's two of
them out there with single-speeders with flat and aerobars. And then
comes a third, girl this time, different color and same technical
story. All on the same day. So I get out on the road and reverse catch
one of the guys, and it turns out he got his bike at a reputable shop
in town, and paid a mint for it. BTW, an American.

I could only think of one more extreme version imaginable - a
single-speed, flat bar, aerobar, recumbent. But that already starts to
seem pale. Not an image I want haunting me at night. I want to be
trendy, really, I am so behind the times. There's got to be an even
viler BSO in the works in someone's mind. I'll just keep looking - my
imagination is at threshold zero after seeing these.

--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR
Old October 22nd 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

RonSonic wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:07:31 +0200, Sandy wrote:

[...]

Weirdness prevails. Surely the end of days must be near. When those bikes sprout
fixed gears we will know that the darkness is upon us.

like this?
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/uploa...-thumb_800.jpg

fixed gear n/c dealer option, about half choose that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 22nd 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 22, 11:58*am, AMuzi wrote:
RonSonic wrote:
[...]

That looks like a totally cool bike. I think that Sandy meant that he
had a mtb type bar, and a bolt on aero bar.
Old October 22nd 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sandy

On 22-Oct-09 20:20, a bien réfléchi et puis a déclaré:
On Oct 22, 11:58 am, wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:07:31 +0200, wrote:

[...]

exactly
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old October 22nd 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On Oct 22, 11:58 am, wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

[...]

That redline I could see myself trying. looks pretty practical but I
think I would prefer a drop bar. Not sure about the single speed thing
but if someone wants to let me test ride one for a week or so I'd be
open to the idea

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 22nd 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 22, 11:58 am, *wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

[...]

Next time you're in MA let me know.
Old October 23rd 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 22, 12:07*pm, Sandy wrote:
[...]

I did the "bike tour" at Mellow Johnny's and Bicycle Sports Shop South
recently.
We are in a golden age. Road bikes @ 14lbs, at least two mfg's
offering fixed gear (with f/w, on a f-f hub for the Langster), all the
way (over? up? down?) to bomber single speeds that look like Dutch
city bikes except for the condition (new, no rust), Seafoam Green
color, and air in the tires. Including 'cross bikes, commuters with
int. gear hubs and disc brakes (at last!), hardtail MTB's, several
different "takes" on rear suspension for dual suspension MTB's,
tandems incl. "adjustable for kid stokers", and much, much more at
price points from "amazingly affordable for all the features" to GNP
"statement" bikes. (Steel is back, btw. No bamboo in evidence,
however.)

Clothing, accessories in parallel and both of those bike stores have
cafés, also.

Don't flog your poor old threshold, just go look and enjoy--
youknowwhatImean, Vern?

One fave detail: handlebars with domed ends. Really smooth, no joint
apparent. "Look, ma, no handlebar plugs!".
'Nother: A Naked (brand) bike, FG or SS (oops) with ENO SS crank,
wooden rims, disc brakes.
Even saw a "loaded touring" (LiveDrunk?) bike or two, one with
horizontal DO's, intended as a design feature g.

(Excuse sloppy quote): "Your children will live in a world you can't
imagine".
Onward!
--D-y
Old October 23rd 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
" wrote:

We are in a golden age.

At least in terms of bike technology, we really are. The broadest range
of options for bikes that the world has ever seen is readily available.
In terms of on-the-road riding conditions, not so much a golden age.
Old October 23rd 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
" wrote:

On Oct 22, 12:07Â*pm, Sandy wrote:
OK, hanging out on the Â*grass of B de Boul, I see a guy come around on a
single-speed (fw) - no Â*decals visible, flat bar, and WITH aerobars. Â*
So, I take this for a freak event and sit around some more and he comes
by again, but too Â*soon. Â*Figured I lost a sense of time, maybe. Â*Then
he Â*comes around again, but much Â*too soon, so I figure there's two of
them out there with Â*single-speeders with flat and aerobars. Â*And then
comes a third, girl this time, different color and same technical
story. Â*All on the same day. Â*So I get out on the road and reverse catch
one of the guys, and it turns out Â*he got Â*his bike at a reputable shop
in town, and paid a mint Â*for it. Â*BTW, an American.

I could only think of one more extreme version imaginable - a
single-speed, flat bar, aerobar, recumbent. Â*But that already starts to
seem pale. Â*Not an image I want haunting me at night. Â*I want to be
trendy, really, I am so behind the times. Â*There's got to be an even
viler BSO in the works in someone's mind. Â*I'll just keep looking - my
[...]

Thanks for the report.

--
Michael Press

Disturbing trend in cycling RicodJour Racing 15 March 24th 07 03:38 PM
Advertising trend? Ken C. M. General 10 December 12th 06 03:24 PM
Stupid cycling fashion trend [email protected] Racing 24 March 14th 06 08:26 PM
New trend? vague peds flyingdutch Australia 15 August 19th 05 04:44 AM
Business rides trend of bicycling monitors Garrison Hilliard General 8 May 11th 05 10:18 AM