Attacking hills

Old July 27th 04, 10:15 PM
the black rose

Default Attacking hills

Pat wrote:
I do not have the lung problems because I am a swimmer. You might consider
taking up swimming as it really trains the lungs while you are doing
something pleasurable. Even as a newbie bike rider, my swimming 'base' gave
me an edge.

Yeah... unfortunately, although I'm actually an adequate swimmer, I'm
scared to death of the water. It's not rational. *shrug*

I have lung problems because I have lung problems. Abnormal gas
exchange values, slow exchange in the gas permeable membranes in my
lungs. I can improve my aerobic capacity, but not as much as if I had
normal gas exchange, and not nearly as quickly. It will be an
interesting experiment to see how much more I can improve than the doc
says I can. *evil grin*

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 28th 04, 12:20 AM
SoCalMike

Sounds like a fitness issue. Just keep practicing and you will
improve quickly.

Well yes. I've only been at this for two months.

But it's also a lung issue. I've had a complete pulmonary function
workup. My lung capacity and flow rates are normal, but my gas exchange
values are abnormal -- IOW, the gas permeable membranes in my lungs are
exchanging gases more slowly than they should. I will always get out of
breath more easily than I should. The symptoms mimic asthma. It's just
the way my lungs are, no treatment, no cure.

i wonder whether a CPAP machine would help at night. it forces more air
into your lungs.
Old July 28th 04, 12:44 AM
Pat

Yeah... unfortunately, although I'm actually an adequate swimmer, I'm
scared to death of the water. It's not rational. *shrug*

Where I work out, the 24 Hour Fitness Center, the water is mostly only 3
feet deep. Can you feel okay in water where you know that you could stand up
at any moment?

I have lung problems because I have lung problems. Abnormal gas
exchange values, slow exchange in the gas permeable membranes in my
lungs. I can improve my aerobic capacity, but not as much as if I had
normal gas exchange, and not nearly as quickly. It will be an
interesting experiment to see how much more I can improve than the doc

says I can. *evil grin*

-km

Would something like this help? http://www.powerlung.com/us/index.htm
I don't know anything about gas exchange, but would this kind of training
aid do anything to improve it?

Pat in TX

Old July 28th 04, 01:02 AM
the black rose

SoCalMike wrote:

Sounds like a fitness issue. Just keep practicing and you will
improve quickly.

Well yes. I've only been at this for two months.

But it's also a lung issue. I've had a complete pulmonary function
workup. My lung capacity and flow rates are normal, but my gas
exchange values are abnormal -- IOW, the gas permeable membranes in my
lungs are exchanging gases more slowly than they should. I will
always get out of breath more easily than I should. The symptoms
mimic asthma. It's just the way my lungs are, no treatment, no cure.

i wonder whether a CPAP machine would help at night. it forces more air
into your lungs.

Not sure what more oxygen at night, when my body is more-or-less
motionless, is going to do to help the high demand during vigorous
exercise at other times. If I could store oxygen like a camel, now,
that would be cool...

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 28th 04, 01:09 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:02:00 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

Not sure what more oxygen at night, when my body is more-or-less
motionless, is going to do to help the high demand during vigorous
exercise at other times. If I could store oxygen like a camel, now,
that would be cool...

Three little letters:

E-P-O

-Luigi

-km

Old July 28th 04, 01:09 AM
the black rose

Pat wrote:

Yeah... unfortunately, although I'm actually an adequate swimmer, I'm
scared to death of the water. It's not rational. *shrug*

Where I work out, the 24 Hour Fitness Center, the water is mostly only 3
feet deep. Can you feel okay in water where you know that you could stand up
at any moment?

Used to (which is why I can swim), but not anymore. It's something that
developed slowly, over about 30 years, after coming close to drowning in
a swimming pool.

Would something like this help? http://www.powerlung.com/us/index.htm
I don't know anything about gas exchange, but would this kind of training
aid do anything to improve it?

Mmm, not sure, but thanks for letting me know about it. I can point it
out to my doc, but I suspect that a device designed to strengthen the
muscles I breathe with isn't going to do much for the membranes inside.

-km, whose basement now features 4 artesian springs

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 28th 04, 01:20 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:09:03 -0400,
, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

Three little letters:

E-P-O

You took the electrons right off of my fingers.
--
zk
Old July 28th 04, 01:59 AM
Neil Cherry

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:02:16 +0000 (UTC), Booker C Bense wrote:

_ As far as emulating Lance, it's taken him years to train to
climb at that high a cadence. Spinning up hills is good technique
IMHO, but 70-80 rpm is a reasonable goal for most people. 100-110
rpm will have you sucking wind very quickly since it takes some
practice and skill to keep power to the pedals at that high an
rpm.

This is something I really want to learn to do! I am a poor climber
but I can spin well. Every once in a while I stand at texacly the
right time and I can spin 90-110 rpm up a hill. I tend to be able to
do it longer than seated. Afterwards I'm dead tired (lungs and legs)
but I last longer spinning. If I'm too fast to begin with or too slow
I'm stuck dropping gears until I can climb seated. Obviously I can
only do this for about 500 ft but when I do it I fly. Otherwise I
trudge. :-) Currently I've spent this year working on my leg strength
and I spend most of my time in the big ring (53 and I live in the flat
lands of central/south New Jersey). This winter it's spinning and
strength!

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old July 28th 04, 02:34 AM
the black rose

wrote:

Not sure what more oxygen at night, when my body is more-or-less
motionless, is going to do to help the high demand during vigorous
exercise at other times. If I could store oxygen like a camel, now,
that would be cool...

Three little letters:

E-P-O

*sigh* Okay. I'm stupid. Here's what Google came up with (among
100,000 other things)

European Patent Office?
Epidemiology Program Office?
Education and Public Outreach?
Editing Process Organizer?
Emergency Preparedness Office?

-km, starting to build an ark now

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 28th 04, 02:43 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:34:13 GMT,
, the black rose
wrote:

*sigh* Okay. I'm stupid. Here's what Google came up with (among
100,000 other things)

Add _cycling_ to the search expression.

It ain't pretty.
--