CTC error

Old September 26th 06, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default CTC error

In article
Dave Larrington wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Another hat in the ring, what about Alexi Sayle? well know for
cycling roiund London, never seen him wear a helmet, opinionated,
well known, well informed and funny :-)

He's also well-known for being a petrolhead, thobut. Used to write a column
for "CAR" magazine.

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, although it sometimes
seems that way.
Old September 26th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

burt wrote:
"Peter Fox" wrote in
message ...

Following on from burt's message. . .

AHD is yet another helmet obsessive. He wears one on his recumbent and
it's
his trademark!

Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

Anyone who blindly accepts that helmets work doesn't have a brain, and
can't
be bothered with little things like evidence.

Hold on! Speaking as a virulent /anti-compulsion/ and anti-assumption
that Hs do any good /in accidents/ person, I object to that facile and
silly statement. [Discussion continues ad infinitum....]

Nice bit of cutting Peter, since I never said any of the above!

Err, according to my newsreader, you did.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"To communicate with Mars, converse with spirits, To report the
behaviour of the sea monster, Describe the horoscope, haruspicate or
scry, Observe disease in signatures." (T.S.Eliot)
Old September 26th 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burt

"Dan Joyce" wrote in message
In article ,
"burt" wrote:

And I've just responded:

Your email accusing me of being pro-helmet arrived just days after
correspondence accusing me (and the magazine) of being anti-helmetS

Now I'm intrigued. Just how can any sane person accuse you and the mag of
being anti-helmet?

Old September 26th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"wafflycat" wrote in message
The CTC has made an unwise move, I think.

According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow
is the new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once
Phil Liggett steps down.

This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on
'Richard & Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not
to take up cycling as "it's too dangerous out there"

[snip]

Well, I've never watched Richard & Judy, but I have heard Jon Snow at
a couple of London Cycling Campaign AGMs. I don't remember what he
said, but I'm surprised at views like that. Is there an exact
transcript, or a recording, or something?

Anyway, I live in London, too. It's a pretty nice place to cycle
round. There's too much boring suburb to get from the middle out to
open countryside, but the trains still work here (more or less) to
let you bypass that.

The statistics are only averages, of both Jon Snow and me. If it's
more dangerous for him, it must be less dangerous for me.

Jeremy Parker

Old September 26th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Dan Joyce" wrote

Your email accusing me of being pro-helmet arrived just days after
correspondence accusing me (and the magazine) of being anti-helmetS

I am answerable to CTC Coucil via the magazine editorial committee
on
this matter, as on all others. As for an article questioning the
effectiveness of helmets, see Aug-Sep 03, p26-27.

From that I gather that somebody has stirred the editorial committee
up, so that it has a policy. Unfortunate, but inevitable, I suppose.

What is that policy?

Jeremy Parker

Old September 26th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
in message , Peter Fox
l') wrote:

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you
with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Boris Jonstone?

No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well
known as a
regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre
way.

I would vote for Boris J. as well. Not for David Cameron, though, or
Adam Hart-Davis. Both of them make cycling look too weird

A few years ago there was a nice picture of Tony Blair riding a bike
round Amsterdam. He might have more time to take it up again soon

If we're thinking about cycling Tories, there's always Lord
Salisbury, not the present one, but the one who was prime minister in
the 19 century. He rode a tricycle, and didn't believe in democracy

Jeremy Parker

Old September 26th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burt

"Don Whybrow" wrote in message
burt wrote:
"Peter Fox" wrote in
message ...

Following on from burt's message. . .

AHD is yet another helmet obsessive. He wears one on his recumbent and
it's
his trademark!

Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

Anyone who blindly accepts that helmets work doesn't have a brain, and
can't
be bothered with little things like evidence.

Hold on! Speaking as a virulent /anti-compulsion/ and anti-assumption
that Hs do any good /in accidents/ person, I object to that facile and
silly statement. [Discussion continues ad infinitum....]

Nice bit of cutting Peter, since I never said any of the above!

Err, according to my newsreader, you did.
--
Don Whybrow

something wrong with your newsreader then.

Old September 26th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Peter Fox
l') wrote:

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Boris Jonstone?

No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well known as a
regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre way.

And Boris Johnson has no truck with stupid regulations - see his recent
piece about booster seats. I'd guess he'd be the same with regard to
the dreaded Hs.
Old September 26th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

David Martin wrote:

Whether he will ever have a 'Jon and his
mates' ride like the Ph&F remains to be seen (dodging through city
centres on the pavement?)

You might find yourself having to ride the length of Italy with Jon.
Old September 26th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Tony Raven wrote:

John Cauldwell (now he's sold Phones4U he
will have time on his hands and has the cachet of being able to say he
prefers cycling the 200 miles to London for a meeting over taking the
helicopter)

But his parsimonious streak is legendary.