Cross-Country Trip

Old April 27th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike McConnaughey

Default Cross-Country Trip

I want to ride my bike from Anchorage Alaska to southern California. Am
looking for all the info I can get to make this trip. I want to take my
black lab with me. We do not need to travel high mileage per day.

Old April 27th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"Mike McConnaughey" wrote in message
I want to ride my bike from Anchorage Alaska to southern California. Am
looking for all the info I can get to make this trip. I want to take my
black lab with me. We do not need to travel high mileage per day.

I'm gonna say covered wagon, unless you want to go a little faster, then use
stagecoach

Come on. Be brave.

Old April 27th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
Tom Keats

In article ,
"marika" writes:

"Mike McConnaughey" wrote in message
I want to ride my bike from Anchorage Alaska to southern California. Am
looking for all the info I can get to make this trip. I want to take my
black lab with me. We do not need to travel high mileage per day.

I'm gonna say covered wagon, unless you want to go a little faster, then use
stagecoach

Come on. Be brave.

Conestogas never worked well in British Columbia.

Stagecoaches did, but they needed the strength of
extra long teams and a lot of changes to get them
up our grades.

Camels were tried during the Cariboo gold rush.

The classic erstwhile traverse between Anchorage
and Seattle was by paddlewheeled steamship, bypassing
British Columbia completely, except perhaps through
the disputed A:B Line. Nowadays one might be able to
obtain passage by volunteering to cook & wash dishes
on a sea-going tugboat.

There /is/ that war-time make-work project: The Alaska
Highway. Be prepared for voracious flying insects,
bears, and skookum weather.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 27th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On Apr 26, 6:06 pm, (Mike McConnaughey) wrote:
I want to ride my bike from Anchorage Alaska to southern California. Am
looking for all the info I can get to make this trip. I want to take my
black lab with me. We do not need to travel high mileage per day.

I suggest you browse around www.crazyguyonabike.com, where you'll find
people who have done the Alaska/Pacific Highway ride, and also people
who have done long rides with dogs (though I can't think of an
intersecting set.)

Good luck!

Old April 27th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

With a lab, food for two and camping gear, you're going to be hauling
more than eighty pounds with the the trailer too..

I'd consider going solar electric and praying for sun.

This will get you to Seattle:
http://broughton.ca/bcakfaq.html
--
zk
Old April 27th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 26, 4:06*pm, (Mike McConnaughey) wrote:
I want to ride my bike from Anchorage Alaska to southern California. Am
looking for all the info I can get to make this trip. I want to take my
black lab with me. We do not need to travel high mileage per day.

Ever heard of Svein Tuft? "current Canadian time trial champion Svein
Tuft is on his way to the world championships in Stuttgart, Germany
with a three year contract with his Symmetrics team in hand". "I
would ride up into central BC, the coastal range and base myself out
of there in the back country where I ran into a lot of bad weather;
rain or snow. But, I made my own trailer and I would load it up with
my dog and do long trips out there".
Here is a link to an article on CyclingNews.com, once you get there
scroll down a ways for the article: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ep07/sep24news

See, Mike? You're not so crazy.
I'm wishing you luck and a tailwind.
ABS
Old April 27th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike McConnaughey

Mr Keats,
I appreciate your humor, it is very good. I am very serious about
this trip, if you want to reach me my e-mail is .

Old April 27th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Mike McConnaughey wrote:
I want to ride my bike from Anchorage Alaska to southern California. Am
looking for all the info I can get to make this trip. I want to take my
black lab with me. We do not need to travel high mileage per day.

Check Adventure Cycling. They'll probably have some
pretty good maps, complete with nearby campground,
restaurant and even bike shop information.

I read of a local who brought his dog with him on a
long bike tour. He used a modified "kid trailer" for
the dog and spent some time training the dog to trot
along side the trailer when inclined to run, or jump
into the trailer when worn out.

The trailer was modified so that the dog couldn't get
tangled up in wheels and injured. Also had a supply
of water that the dog could "self serve" when thirsty.

I guess the trip worked out quite well.

Do make allowances for the dog. Not certain what low
mileage for you means, but a lab probably isn't going
to be able to do more than 10-15 miles/day over an
extended period without some damage to the legs (my
Irish Setter is probably good for 20 per day indefinitely
but that's a breed related thing).

I see quite a few people with dogs in trunk racks or
handlebar baskets during my past rides in Iowa. I
don't think a Lab would fit those locations very well
though!

SMH

Old April 27th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
With a lab, food for two and camping gear, you're going to be hauling
more than eighty pounds with the the trailer too..

I'd consider going solar electric and praying for sun.

what a stroke of genius you had.... I just realized You opened a
HUGE world of possibilities!

perhaps wind sails!

This will get you to Seattle:
http://broughton.ca/bcakfaq.html
--

PS I finally broke down and got NFL network yesterday. I'm paying 25 dollars
per year for 5 million hours of repeated news shows, documentaries, and game

mk5000

Watchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis

Old April 27th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Sails have been done: http://www.ransbikes.com/early%20years.htm.

PS I finally broke down and got NFL network yesterday. I'm paying 25
dollars
per year for 5 million hours of repeated news shows, documentaries, and
game
replays, and the only thing I really wanted from the whole thing-- the
11/29 game Packers vs Cowboys. That game alone was worth 25 bucks.[...]

Around here that game was on local broadcast television.