Greasy disappointment

Old December 30th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Greasy disappointment

About six months ago I overhauled my Shimano XT hubs with Phil Wood
grease. Packed new bearings with very liberal amounts of the green
goo.

Had some time over the holidays, decided it was a good time for
overhaul, decided to open up the aforementioned hubs even though I
didn't think they really needed it.

To my surprise, the bearings and races were BONE DRY. Plenty of
grease had shifted over to the "untraveled" parts, but it too was no
good, pretty much about to cake up.

Now before you say grease must have washed out, this bike has never
seen water. No rain or washes.

Please recommend a decent grease for hubs that's better than Phil.
I'd use the Shimano grease, it's pretty much the best stuff I've seen,
but that stuff costs over $10 for 5 oz. I have 5 bikes, all
functional, i.e. ready to ride. Don't want to go broke on grease
alone.

I've pretty much concluded that Phil Wood grease is better than white
lithium (the stuff that we used back in the 80s), but not by much. As
soon as I find a better grease that doesn't cost an outrageous amount
I'm going to stop using that green gunk, at least in my hubs.
Old December 30th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 29, 5:04*pm, wrote:
[...]

The general consensus is that any decent automotive bearing grease
will do the trick. Phil is convenient because it comes in tubes, and
you do not get a big polluted tub of grease over time. I use Phil
because I have accumulated a lot of tubes over the years, but I have
also used Pennziol lithium grease and others that were perfectly fine.
I have never encountered your problem with Phil grease, although I
have had Campy grease dry out after years of inactivity (a bike left
in storage for many years). -- Jay Beattie.
Old December 30th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 29, 7:04*pm, wrote:

Please recommend a decent grease for hubs that's better than Phil.
I'd use the Shimano grease, it's pretty much the best stuff I've seen,
but that stuff costs over $10 for 5 oz. *I have 5 bikes, all
functional, i.e. ready to ride. *Don't want to go broke on grease
alone.

Get the cheapest tub that Autozone has on sale. I have a half used tub
of "Coastal" black grease that I got for $3 a couple years ago. Smells
like a brake shop and the grease stays put. Bike bearings do not need
fancy grease--just a good amount, and proper adjustment.
Old December 30th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:15:30 -0800 (PST), landotter
wrote:

On Dec 29, 7:04*pm, wrote:

Please recommend a decent grease for hubs that's better than Phil.
I'd use the Shimano grease, it's pretty much the best stuff I've seen,
but that stuff costs over $10 for 5 oz. *I have 5 bikes, all
functional, i.e. ready to ride. *Don't want to go broke on grease
alone.

Get the cheapest tub that Autozone has on sale. I have a half used tub
of "Coastal" black grease that I got for $3 a couple years ago. Smells
like a brake shop and the grease stays put. Bike bearings do not need
fancy grease--just a good amount, and proper adjustment.

Yeah, I use something similar from an auto shop -- "Lubrimatic Marine
Grease" or something.

And get a small grease gun to applying it is easy.
Old December 30th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:04:12 -0800, mdk.10.damyth wrote:

[...]

i'm a big fan of marine grease. especially if it has calcium sulfonate in
it.
Old December 30th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
On Dec 29, 7:04*pm, wrote:

Please recommend a decent grease for hubs that's better than Phil.
I'd use the Shimano grease, it's pretty much the best stuff I've seen,
but that stuff costs over $10 for 5 oz. *I have 5 bikes, all
functional, i.e. ready to ride. *Don't want to go broke on grease
alone.

Get the cheapest tub that Autozone has on sale. I have a half used tub
of "Coastal" black grease that I got for $3 a couple years ago. Smells
like a brake shop and the grease stays put. Bike bearings do not need
fancy grease--just a good amount, and proper adjustment.

Yeah, I use something similar from an auto shop -- "Lubrimatic Marine
Grease" or something.

I believe that's Lowe's, you dang snob! Pick up the Dupont
Multipurpose Wax Teflon lube while yer there. It is the best chain
loobe ever.

Old December 30th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 29, 7:33*pm, jim beam wrote:
[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

What is the benefit of calcium sulfonate? In fact, what IS calcium
sulfonate (apart from calcium and a sulphur compound)? -- Jay Beattie.
Old December 30th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

fwiu, it forms a very strong association with the steel surface, to the
exclusion of moisture, and to some extent, oxygen. it therefore is very
good at corrosion protection [used in some anti-corrosion paints] and is
even supposed to offer some protection against false brinelling [oxygen
exclusion].

whatever the mechanism, it's been found to be very good in marine
environments and is used in marine greases extensively. and not just
the cheap stuff - the expensive synthetics and silicones too.

Old December 30th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:19:14 -0800 (PST), Jay Beattie
wrote:

[...]

Dear Jay,

Advantages:

A) Tastes better. (Really--can be used in food processing machinery.)

B) Heat resistance. (Not much--316C vs 312C for plainer grease.)

C) Rust inhibition.

D) Stands pressure better. (Handles a 400~500 kg load versus 315 kg
load for plainer grease in one test.)

Disadvantages:

A) Costs more. (Not so bad at bicycle-level amounts.)

B) Sprays off more easily with water. (Hmmm . . .)

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...= Lubrication

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 30th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Dec 29, 8:04*pm, wrote:
[...]

what makes you say it's better than the white lithium ? my experience
has been very good with it; I don't think properties change with
locale- so what experience has yours been to be negative about it ? I
recommend it.