Giro d'Italia, stage 9 summary

Old May 17th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

Default Giro d'Italia, stage 9 summary

Stage 9 - Sunday, May 17: Milano Show 100, 165km

First 10 finishers :
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team Columbia - Highroad 4.16.13 (38.639 km/h)
2 Allan Davis (Aus) Quick Step
3 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Slipstream
4 Matthew Goss (Aus) Team Saxo Bank
5 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) LPR Brakes - Farnese Vini
6 Robert Forster (Ger) Team Milram
7 Robert Hunter (RSA) Barloworld
8 Davide Vigano (Ita) Fuji-Servetto
9 Saïd Haddou (Fra) BBox Bouygues Telecom
10 Thomas Fothen (Ger) Team Milram

Changes in stage 9 compared to stage 8 :

Biggest gainers by position :

Biggest losers by position :

Biggest gainers by time :

Biggest losers by time :

Favourites by position :

Favourites by time :

Top 3 and favourites standings :
1 Danilo Di Luca 37.29.48
2 Thomas Lovkvist 0.13
3 Michael Rogers 0.44
4 Levi Leipheimer 0.51
5 Denis Menchov 0.58
6 Ivan Basso 1.14
7 Carlos Sastre 1.24
9 Franco Pellizotti 1.35
11 Gilberto Simoni 2.09
20 Marzio Bruseghin 3.24
21 Damiano Cunego 3.37
25 Lance Armstrong 4.39
36 Stefano Garzelli 6.49
70 Jens Voigt 28.25
156 Fabian Cancellara 1.14.30

Retirements to date : Stage
Julien Loubet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 8
Francisco Perez Sanchez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 4
Jesus Del Nero (Spa) Fuji-Servetto 7
Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 3
Ruslan Pidgornyy (Ukr) ISD 8
Pedro Horrillo (Spa) Rabobank 8
Matthias Russ (Ger) Team Milram 2
David Garcia Da Pena (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia 5
Total retirements : 8

Old May 18th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hey Bob, any chance we could get Chris Horner on the favorites list?
If he's not one of the standard issue favorites you could make an
exception and support a team player, excellent rider and all-around
good guy. You'll be helping send a message to young riders
everywhere. Ask your son for permission.

I agree that it would be fun to have Chris on that list. But I'm not
sure I know what "message" you're sending to "young riders everywhere."
Other than the idea older guys rock?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 18th 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 17, 7:39*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
Hey Bob, any chance we could get Chris Horner on the favorites list?
If he's not one of the standard issue favorites you could make an
exception and support a team player, excellent rider and all-around
good guy. *You'll be helping send a message to young riders
everywhere. *Ask your son for permission. *

I agree that it would be fun to have Chris on that list. But I'm not
sure I know what "message" you're sending to "young riders everywhere."
Other than the idea older guys rock?

The guy is _enjoying_ himself. Look at the dude's face. Danilo looks
like he's being audited or having a proctological exam. He
exemplifies team work, the importance of supporting roles, and from
his interviews you can tell he's a regular guy and not a dick. Young
people should know that heroes don't always have a number on their
jersey that ends in a 1.

Oh, and older guys rock. Some older women, too. There's a certain 49
year old woman that I hope to be rocking in the near future.

Old May 18th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Longo turned 50 last October.
Old May 18th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but I have someone else in mind. If that doesn't work out,
maybe I'll live dangerously.
http://tinyurl.com/p2cnse
She's a bit younger, but I'll have my hands full...and my eyes clamped
shut.

Old May 18th 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

wrote:

Hey Bob, any chance we could get Chris Horner on the favorites list?
If he's not one of the standard issue favorites you could make an
exception and support a team player, excellent rider and all-around
good guy. *You'll be helping send a message to young riders
everywhere. *Ask your son for permission. *

I agree that it would be fun to have Chris on that list. But I'm not
sure I know what "message" you're sending to "young riders everywhere."
Other than the idea older guys rock?

The guy is _enjoying_ himself. *Look at the dude's face. *

snip

Dumbass -

Horner's love of bike racing has always set him apart. He's genuinely
enthusiastic about it.

I've got some good stories about him to share, but will save it for
another time.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old May 18th 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 72003 20090518 023943 RicodJour wrote:

Hey Bob, any chance we could get Chris Horner on the favorites list?
If he's not one of the standard issue favorites you could make an
exception and support a team player, excellent rider and all-around
good guy. =A0You'll be helping send a message to young riders
everywhere. =A0Ask your son for permission. =A0

R, my son says it's OK, so consider it done :-)
Old May 18th 09, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Sun, 17 May 2009 23:18:27 -0700 (PDT), "Kurgan. presented by
Gringioni." wrote:

Horner's love of bike racing has always set him apart. He's genuinely
enthusiastic about it.

I've got some good stories about him to share, but will save it for
another time.

I don't know the guy but met him briefly way back in the day when he
rode for a team called (I think) Rocket Fast Cargo. We were staying at
the same motel for the Fitchburg stage race.

Years later he was on Saturn and the team was back at that same motel.
He and a couple of his teammate smoked the field in a 3-hour circuit
race, rode back to the a cafe near the motel and just hung hout for
hours sipping coffee and grinning.

Old May 19th 09, 09:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

RicodJour wrote:
Oh, and older guys rock. Some older women, too. There's a certain 49
year old woman that I hope to be rocking in the near future.

You and Mr. and Mrs. Fredburger take rocking chairs beyond their design
specifications.