Below Steering

Old May 4th 04, 05:51 PM
John Duval

Default Below Steering

I think I would be concerned about two things for commuting on a recumbent
(assuming a somewhat urban environment): maneuverability on and off the
bike. I find the recumbent a bit more work to commute on than a DF, but
worth it.

It is nice to be able to turn on a dime (more like a silver dollar on a
recumbent) to reach cross walk buttons, get through vehicle barrios etc. It
is also nice to be able to grab the handlebars to maneuver through a
building while walking. Narrow is very good.

It might be nice to be able to convert, as most bents probably can be. No
reason to live with something if you change your mind or want to experiment.

John

"TheMilligans" wrote in message
I am soon to transfer back to San Diego from New Orleans (where I wouldn't
dare ride!)...I am looking forward to riding again and am considering
purchasing a Recumbent for my commuting to and from work. I've noticed

some
have steering below rather than above...seems like it would be difficult

control in that manner....can anyone comment on the benefits/drawbacks to
below steering? Thanks.
Tony

Old May 4th 04, 07:58 PM
Chris Crawford

IMHO, the best mount for a mirror on a USS or ASS is a mirror velcroed
to the back of one's left hand glove.

Regards
Chris

Tom Sherman wrote:
TheMilligans wrote:

I am soon to transfer back to San Diego from New Orleans (where I
wouldn't
dare ride!)...I am looking forward to riding again and am considering
purchasing a Recumbent for my commuting to and from work. I've
noticed some
have steering below rather than above...seems like it would be
difficult to
control in that manner....can anyone comment on the benefits/drawbacks to
below steering? Thanks.

Most USS systems do not provide a very good place to mount a mirror (a
necessity on a recumbent) compared to OSS systems. Unless one is
comfortable using a helmet/glasses mounted mirror in the desired riding
conditions, this can be a significant disadvantage of USS. (This is one
of the reasons I sold the USS bike I had, as I was not comfortable
riding in urban traffic with just a helmet mirror, and there was no good
place to mount a mirror).

Old May 5th 04, 03:11 AM
Tom Sherman

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

Now that I am riding a DF again, I need to get his name and see if I
can get another one for the helmet I use for commuting. The mount is
not designed to be easily moved or altered, so the angle is all wrong
to ride on the DF - and after Charlie's mirrors, no other will
suffice.

The person that makes mirror from recycled spokes and other parts is
Chuck Harris. Contact information is below (I found this with a web
search and can not vouch for its accuracy).

Chuck Harris
Ultra-light Touring Shop
P.O. Box 363
Gambier, OH
43022
740-427-3404

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Old May 5th 04, 10:49 AM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 04 May 2004 21:11:46 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:

The person that makes mirror from recycled spokes and other parts is
Chuck Harris. Contact information is below (I found this with a web
search and can not vouch for its accuracy).

You did better than I. He also seems to provide the mirrors through
the Hubbub Cycling shop. Hope that's not the same as Ultralight, just
renamed, because they are out of stock...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...