PER: Things getting done

Old August 20th 06, 02:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Beavers

Default PER: Things getting done

A few weeks ago I crashed while crossing railway lines in Bassendean. The
lines in question go from the main Perth-Guildford line across Railway
Parade to the Railway Museum, so instead of going straight across the road
they are curving away to the right. The bitumen was quite bumpy, it was a
wet afternoon (one of the few we have had), and I was going at a reasonable
speed, so everything went together for a crash. Just a deep graze on one
elbow and a sound blow to the helmet, otherwise OK.

I emailed Bassendean Council pointing out how rough the road surface was and
mentioning that Railway Parade is a designated cycle route complete with
lines either side of the road, in preference to Guildford Road on the other
side of the line. A couple of days later I received a letter telling me the
siding was the responsibility of the Museum and they would pass the message
on.

Last Thursday while driving home along that road, I encountered roadworks at
the crossing, and I could see they were relaying the tarmac. Friday I was
able to ride to work, and both ways appreciated the much smoother crossing.
I have no idea who did the work - Council or Museum - but it seems to be
more than a coincidence.

More recently cycling along Mounts Bay Road past the Convention Centre, I
realised that the road surface had been taken up and relaid, but with all
kinds of longitudinal grooves that were a real hazard to my cycle tyres.
Again I sent an email, this time to Perth City Council. Last week I noticed
that things seemed rather better, and tonight when looking at emails for the
first time since Tuesday, I've found one from PCC telling me my request has
been investigated and necessary repair works have been carried out.

So it's nice to know that people up there are listening. And now I also know
about the web page for reporting a cycling hazard
(http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/2345.asp) which a mate told me about
yesterday. This means that things got done even without using the correct
form - not very Public Service!

Cheers
Beavers

Old August 20th 06, 04:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

Beavers wrote:

So it's nice to know that people up there are listening. And now I also know
about the web page for reporting a cycling hazard
(http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/2345.asp) which a mate told me about
yesterday. This means that things got done even without using the correct
form - not very Public Service!

Nicely done. I didn't know about that form, but I've got it bookmarked
now. I submitted a complaint about a traffic light that doesn't sense
bicycles already, hopefully that will be fixed.

Travis

Old August 20th 06, 11:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Beavers wrote:
[...]

I live in a country town in WA and when I've complained to the council
about railway crossings I get told that it's the railway owners
responsibility and the council won't touch it.

Friday
Old August 21st 06, 01:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gumby

Beavers wrote:
[...]

My experience with using the hazerd report form is so uncannily
positive that I am now loath to use it for quibbles. I have a three
for three strike rate, and I was so impressed I "wrote a letter" to the
Cycling Branch of DPI.
Snail mail.

I think it pays to give positive feedback in the hope it will reinforce
their prompt attention to detail.

Try a direct letter to Alannah MacTiernan's Ministerial office with a
CC to Martin Whitely Member for Bassendean. DPI
pride themselves on being deal makers with various agencies, so rather
than getting buck passing when you go through channels, go over their
heads and become a squeaky wheel. The designated cycle route through
Bassendean is unsafe and should be fixed.

I know exactly the stretch of road, I used it for my commute to uni
from Guildford for my undergraduate. Depending on traffic I would try
to swerve out to get te crossing angle close to 90 degrees, but this
means leaving the cycle lane and jousting with the cars that invariably
speed along Railway Parade.

I am a member of the Bicycling Transport Alliance perhaps we / I could
write a letter in support? Let me know

Old August 21st 06, 03:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

Travis wrote:
Beavers wrote:

So it's nice to know that people up there are listening. And now I also know
about the web page for reporting a cycling hazard
(http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/2345.asp) which a mate told me about
yesterday. This means that things got done even without using the correct
form - not very Public Service!

Nicely done. I didn't know about that form, but I've got it bookmarked
now. I submitted a complaint about a traffic light that doesn't sense
bicycles already, hopefully that will be fixed.

And today I got a call asking for clarification of the problem, he took
down my report and said he'd booked a contractor to go turn up the
sensitivity on the bike sensor.

I'm impressed, the system works!

Travis

Old August 21st 06, 07:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gumby

Beavers wrote:
[...]

I just re-read your post and I was obviously in a caffeine deficit when
i wrote my first response. They improved the roadways as a result of
your comment.

Please let them know how much you appreciate the service, a letter
makes a big difference, and we dont want you losing more bark, do we?