Road Tax Selected Streets Instead of Outright Vehicle Bans

Old June 4th 17, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default Road Tax Selected Streets Instead of Outright Vehicle Bans

If you register your motor vehicle then the gummint already has that address. Anyone including gummint can video you on public streets so you never had privacy on public roads.

The fantasy you can cheat and get away with it was always a fantasy. The head spook at the CIA couldn't get away with it. They're gonna know. You cannot even sneak around cycling in foreign countries nowadays. I'll show up in Valley Market and the cashier will say, "I saw you cycling in Mexicali last week."

So taxing motor vehicles by GPS for occupying time and space on public roads has no credible or honest opposition.

Nevertheless, GPS could be designed, at least initially, to allow itself to be monitored only on selected streets and freeways where traffic snarl ups are more of an issue than privacy.

Bret Cahill

Old June 5th 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 9:10:04 PM UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
If you register your motor vehicle then the gummint already has that address. Anyone including gummint can video you on public streets so you never had privacy on public roads.

The fantasy you can cheat and get away with it was always a fantasy. The head spook at the CIA couldn't get away with it. They're gonna know. You cannot even sneak around cycling in foreign countries nowadays. I'll show up in Valley Market and the cashier will say, "I saw you cycling in Mexicali last week."

So taxing motor vehicles by GPS for occupying time and space on public roads has no credible or honest opposition.

Nevertheless, GPS could be designed, at least initially, to allow itself to be monitored only on selected streets and freeways where traffic snarl ups are more of an issue than privacy.

Bret Cahill

Please join me on Facebook, Bret.
Old June 5th 17, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

If you register your motor vehicle then the gummint already has that address. Anyone including gummint can video you on public streets so you never had privacy on public roads.

The fantasy you can cheat and get away with it was always a fantasy. The head spook at the CIA couldn't get away with it. They're gonna know. You cannot even sneak around cycling in foreign countries nowadays. I'll show up in Valley Market and the cashier will say, "I saw you cycling in Mexicali last week."

So taxing motor vehicles by GPS for occupying time and space on public roads has no credible or honest opposition.

Nevertheless, GPS could be designed, at least initially, to allow itself to be monitored only on selected streets and freeways where traffic snarl ups are more of an issue than privacy.

Bret Cahill

Please join me on Facebook, Bret.

I'm not sure how effective I would be there.

Besides, I can protect my privacy here!

:- )

Bret Cahill

Old June 6th 17, 05:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 11:58:13 PM UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

You can read mine though!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100016420600897
Old June 6th 17, 06:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

[...]

A couple of years ago I pointed out that 2 of the most basic rights, the right to travel and freedom of speech with the public, were always 100% dependent on at least some public funding. This wasn't always true but it's true now. Even non libertarians were surprised. I then asked for a counter example but everything they tried always required _some_ gummint funding, FCC, utilities commission, Coast Guard, etc, to actually _guarantee_ everyone's rights.

Without traffic snarl ups it seems anti-democratic to charge a user fee for roads. But if the motorists are mired in traffic, then it defeats the entire purpose of the road in the first place. What's the point of having something no one can use in a timely manner?

The only politically appealing market oriented just way to clear the roads is to tax the usage of the road then redistribute on a /head basis. The tax might not be as much as some tolls but it should be enough to get things moving.

Along with a 20 cent fuel tax Gov. Brown is going to hike vehicle registration from $90 to $140 but I only use the vehicle once every week or so locally. Motor vehicle ownership is OK if you don't spend too much time clogging up the freeway. This wasn't the right tax to address the problem.

Bret Cahill