This has got to be some sort of record!

Old October 26th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Default This has got to be some sort of record!

Went on a 54 mile ride today with a friend through King's Mountain State
Park. As we were winding up the last few miles we passed through the
microscopic city (yes, its a city) of Smyrna SC, two dogs started
chasing us. Well, chasing is a liberal term; they weren't barking,
snarling or biting at our heels, just running after/with us.

And running...

And running...

And running!

After two miles, one of them dropped off.

The other kept running,

and running.

After about three miles we stopped, got a plastic cup out of the gutter,
poured some water in it and offered it to the other one. Yeah, he was
still running with us, at an average speed of 12-14 miles an hour! He
wouldn't take any of he water, he just kept nuzzling for us to pet him.

After about a minute of him refusing anything other than attention, we
put the cup down, thinking he might take it, or at least stop on his way
back home, for as we continued on he continued to follow us, never
slowing. He just kept running.

And running.

And running.

And running.

We finally lost him as we pulled into the town of Hickory Grove, after
FOUR AND A HALF MILES!

What's the farthest y'all have ever been chased by the same dog?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner G'BYE :-3(

Old October 26th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

It's Chris wrote:
[...]

I hope you took the dog back home. I had 2 who used to chase me until I
stopped and confronted them. Slowly but surely they came within petting
range, still halfway barking, but as soon as I started petting one, the
other one shut up and came to me. Now when I ride that way they *expect*
to be petted and run out to meet me. It dents my speed, but beats the
heck out of having them chase me every time.
I now have about 3 petting stops in one ten mile stretch of road.
Bill Baka
Old October 26th 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 25, 9:28*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
And running.

And running.

We finally lost him as we pulled into the town of Hickory Grove, after
FOUR AND A HALF MILES!

What's the farthest y'all have ever been chased by the same dog?

Riding due west in South Dakota, we were struggling with a brutal
crosswind, one that tried to tip us off your bikes and kept us down to
about 11 mph, despite perfectly flat roads. This (like almost all
South Dakota) was the middle of nowhere. But a friendly farm dog
appeared and trotted along with us, running at the edge of the
cornfield, keeping a very respectful distance.

We rode for about half a mile with him, then I stopped to show my
family the map. We were due to head north a day or two later. I
proposed changing our route to let the headwinds blow us north.
Everybody agreed - even the dog, who by this time was enjoying being
petted.

So we rode - no, _flew_ north, propelled along flat, new pavement by
nearly 30 mph tailwinds. We were easily cranking well over 20 mph,
but that dog was charging along after us. He was still being smart
enough to stay well off the road, running through the weeds at the
edge of cornfields.

In about half a mile, as we crossed a bridge over a creek, we finally
saw him peel off further right and head down to the creek. We figured
that was the end of our escort.

But he soon reappeared, soaking wet but still game for the chase. He
charged along with us until we finally came to a very slight downhill
- one that allowed us to get up to 28 mph. There he finally dropped
off.

Now, it's interesting that I had guessed he ran with us for about
three miles. But just now, browsing the location on Google Maps, I
see the total was closer to a mile and a half. Still, it was a fun
experience for all of us! I've been chased by many dogs in 30+ years
of riding, but that was my favorite.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 26th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Do cows count?
Last year I was out in the boondocks pushing about 12 MPH into a
headwind when a small herd of cows decided to pace me. With all the
bells it was a constant dingle-ling for about a mile then they had to
stop for a fence. On the way back they did the same thing, following
next to me until they hit the fence. Cows don't like petting though.
On another road there are three horses who follow me and last week I
decided to get off the bike and approach them. Two of the three liked
the attention and the ear scratch, but the third would not come near me
for some reason.
My next challenge is an Emu that someone has for a pet. Kind of like a
funky Ostrich, but it won't come closer than about 5 feet, so I don't
know if it would like the petting or be annoyed by it.

Bill (random riding) Baka
Old October 26th 09, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Lewis

Bill Baka writes:

It's Chris wrote:
[...]

Crikey. You're a dog whisperer as well as your other legendary
talents.....

Sure you do Bill. Sure you do.
Old October 26th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding[_2_]

On Oct 25, 9:28 pm, (It's Chris) wrote:

What's the farthest y'all have ever been chased by the same dog?

Not chased per se, but had a fox run along side me (about 15-20 feet
off the side of the road) for a good 300 yards or so.

Very strange. I saw him, he saw me, both going the same direction
along a local side road out near a horse farm. Expected him to bolt
but he stayed right in step, loping along.

Thought at first he might be rabid, but seems we were just heading
the same direction and he was fairly tolerant of people.

SMH

Old October 26th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding[_2_]

Bill Baka wrote:

Do cows count?

During a tour across Montana and North Dakota, I was astonished
at how often cows would follow the fenceline along the road
keeping pace with you.

Sometimes, they would come over from really quite far out in
the pastures, to get closer, trotting, views of the strange
person and vehicle going by them.

Not just individual cows either. Sometimes a fairly long line
of them trotting along the fence keeping up with you, stopped
only by the intersection with another fence.

Never thought of cows as being so curious about what goes by but
MT/ND pastures must be more boring than elsewhere.

SMH
Old October 26th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:09:04 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

No.

Last year I was out in the boondocks pushing about 12 MPH into a
headwind when a small herd of cows decided to pace me.

So, Bill, you're asking us to believe that *cows* paced you at 12 MPH for
a mile? Really, Bill? Cows routinely travel at 12 MPH for a whole
mile? Come on Bill, who do you think you're fooling with bull**** like
that?

He could probably sense that you're an asshole, and a bull****ter.

My next challenge is an Emu that someone has for a pet. Kind of like a
funky Ostrich, but it won't come closer than about 5 feet, so I don't
know if it would like the petting or be annoyed by it.

It will kick your ass (literally). I hope you try to pet it... LOL

Bill, where are the pics you promised to post? How about you post some
pics of these high-speed cows and other farm animals that you play with.
Can you do that, Bill, or is all of this just more fantasy and
fabrication?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
Old October 26th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 26 Oct, 18:08, Stephen Harding wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:
Do cows count?

During a tour across Montana and North Dakota, I was astonished
at how often cows would follow the fenceline along the road
keeping pace with you.

Sometimes, they would come over from really quite far out in
the pastures, to get closer, trotting, views of the strange
person and vehicle going by them.

Not just individual cows either. *Sometimes a fairly long line
of them trotting along the fence keeping up with you, stopped
only by the intersection with another fence.

Never thought of cows as being so curious about what goes by but
MT/ND pastures must be more boring than elsewhere.

They assume you are taking them to be milked if you are moving towards
the gate. Bulls tend not to bother.