Bell Dashboard 100, re-enter odo numbers?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 1st 17, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Bell Dashboard 100, re-enter odo numbers?

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 22:44:53 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/31/2017 8:46 PM, John B. wrote:

On 2017-07-31 07:49, wrote:
On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 9:53:35 AM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 7/29/2017 2:09 PM, Joerg wrote:
I'd never use Reed or
anything mechanical in those, especially in an
environment that is prone
to vibration. Like ... a mountain bike.

:-) Joerg would never use what every current cyclometer
company (and
therefore almost every mountain biker) uses without
problems, because
his situation is just so gnarly!

Classic Joerg!

Actually it's classic Chinese manual.

Surprisingly the Bell manual is written in very good
English, doesn't look light "Designed in Outsourcia" at all.
My guess is that their software engineers simply messed up
or they didn't hold design reviews, or both.

One possible explanation, "Our new vendor doesn't have
anyone who could write a manual even in Chinese. Get the
intern to clean up some online manual and then print that."

I've always attributed it to "My brother-in-law needs a job and he
took English in school".

But more seriously, way back when Japanese manuals were as
incomprehensive as current Chinese manuals I approached a number of
Japanese companies with the idea of acting as a translator of their
"English" manuals into "Modern English" and not a single company was
interested as they all thought that *their* manual was perfect.

Perhaps you needed a more forceful approach. Someone may correct me but
IIRC, Jobst Brandt got his foot in the door at Porsche using exactly
that same proposal.

Jobst was not known for being diplomatic or shy. In that instance, that
probably worked well for him.

I can't comment on Jobst but I was approaching Japanese companies and
explaining that the average "American" was having problems
understanding the manual and that I could translate then from either
Japanese or English into "Commonly Used English", I believe I termed
it.

I never got to a discussion of "how much" as the companies I contacted
felt that their manuals/instruction sheets were perfectly fine and
while they were, as usual, very polite it was obviously a No Sale.

From what little I remember, Jobst was essentially a "native German
speaker" and took his discharge in Germany and joined Porsche as a
draftsman.

--
Cheers,

John B.