Food to take for the Around The Bay?

Old October 8th 03, 02:56 AM
Cletus75

Default Food to take for the Around The Bay?

How much food do you guys normally take with you for the ATB? Will a
banana, an energy bar, a jam sanger and some extra carbo powder for one
of the water bottles do the trick (considering we get lunch)?

Old October 8th 03, 05:20 AM
Steve

Cletus75 wrote in message ...
How much food do you guys normally take with you for the ATB? Will a
banana, an energy bar, a jam sanger and some extra carbo powder for one
of the water bottles do the trick (considering we get lunch)?

I tend to take 2 bananas, 2 powerbars and a couple of muesli bars.
For drinks I take a litre of Gatorade and have a half gatorade half water
mixture in one of the two water bottles.
However, I'm a bit of a slow poke and take 12 hours to finish, so I need all
the help I can get.

Old October 8th 03, 05:20 AM
patch70

Depends on how you go on training rides a bit. If you can do a 150 km
training ride without needing copious food, that may well be enough. If
you tend to run out of energy quickly, I would take more than that.

The provided lunch is either a meat/salad roll or a pasta salad, some
fruit, some jelly babies and a fruit drink if I remember correctly.

I try to eat something every 30 or so km so I took a fair bit more than
you suggested.

Old October 8th 03, 05:21 AM
PiledHigher

You are not in the middle of nowhere most of the time, so there will be
shops, the longest stretch between shops is probably less than 30k's.
Take a few snacks, eat the food they give you and stop at a bakery/servo
for a refuel if needed.

Just remember to eat b4 you are hungry and drink b4 you are thirsty.

Old October 8th 03, 05:21 AM
Cletus75

patch70 wrote:
Depends on how you go on training rides a bit. If you can do a 150 km
training ride without needing copious food, that may well be enough. If
you tend to run out of energy quickly, I would take more than that.
The provided lunch is either a meat/salad roll or a pasta salad, some
fruit, some jelly babies and a fruit drink if I remember correctly.
I try to eat something every 30 or so km so I took a fair bit more than
you suggested.

Thanks! Might need to stretch the pockets on the jersey and stick a
whole hand of bananas in there...

Old October 8th 03, 12:24 PM
Scotty

I tend to use the gel packs...4 is usually enough for around the bay...and a
muesli bar, banana and a bag of jelly beans. Jelly beans are my last resort
and got me through the last 30kms last year!
Bananas are ok, but tend to give short term bursts of energy in my
experience and putting a hold hand of them in your jersey, well good luck!!
Someone mentioned if you can do 150kms without eating too much you'd be
ok...I'd disagree...those last 60kms can be torture if you've bonked or
about to bonk, so keep eating every 30kms or so and at the ferry scoff what
they give you too...you can never eat too much on long rides (as long as you
don't eat/drink it all at once!).

see ya out there

"Cletus75" wrote in message
patch70 wrote:
Depends on how you go on training rides a bit. If you can do a 150 km
training ride without needing copious food, that may well be enough.

If
you tend to run out of energy quickly, I would take more than that.
The provided lunch is either a meat/salad roll or a pasta salad, some
fruit, some jelly babies and a fruit drink if I remember correctly.
I try to eat something every 30 or so km so I took a fair bit more

than
you suggested.

Thanks! Might need to stretch the pockets on the jersey and stick a
whole hand of bananas in there...

Lance blames fast food. Callistus Valerius Racing 38 July 22nd 04 07:22 AM
Food, glorious food James Hodson UK 15 August 26th 03 07:23 PM
"Bike trailers to relieve road-congestion for charity food deliveries" MeditationMan General 7 August 12th 03 02:49 PM