Climbing and Cassettes

Old August 3rd 05, 01:47 AM
Peter Wilson

Default Climbing and Cassettes

Having read previous posts about climbing and cassettes, I too wanted to
ask, as the OP did not really answer the questions.

But I too struggle on some serious climbs, and am running a 12 x 23 cassette
on my road bike.
9 speed, Shimano 105.

Ok if I go to a 12x27 rear cassette, will I notice a huge difference.
I mean I don't want to fork out $140 on a new cassette, if its only going to
be a minor change.
Please tell me how big a difference I will notice.

Yes I know I should train on hills, and get better, but I want the easy way
out (^_^)

Thankyou for any useful advice.

Old August 3rd 05, 03:00 AM
Absent Husband

Hi Peter,

I was running a 12-23 on my 8-speed Sora bike. Soon afterwards, I
bought a 13-26 cassette.

Mainly because I was still in my early days coming back from injury and
trying to get fit again. I hardly ever used the 12-toother, and I
wanted a bail-out granny gear I could flick to if necessary.

Having the big cog on the back is nice, in that you can always flick to
that if you really need to. But nowadays I rarely use that either -
when I'm 'training' I'm almost always in the 21-toother up the hills
(or Tam flogs me...).

If you want a bail out gear - then go for it. Yes, you will notice a
difference, but its not like the bike will suddenly start pedalling for
you either.

Ultimately, as it always does, it depends largely on why & how you are
riding your bike. Do you do general rec riding/touring on it, so the
big cog will be often used? Or is it solely a training/racing bike - in
which case you should really never use it.

Cheers,
Abby (who is an expert on nothin')

Old August 3rd 05, 03:37 AM
flyingdutch

Peter Wilson Wrote:
Having read previous posts about climbing and cassettes, I too wante
ask, as the OP did not really answer the questions.

But I too struggle on some serious climbs, and am running a 12 x 2
cassette
on my road bike.
9 speed, Shimano 105.

Ok if I go to a 12x27 rear cassette, will I notice a huge difference.
I mean I don't want to fork out $140 on a new cassette, if its onl
going to
be a minor change.
Please tell me how big a difference I will notice.

Yes I know I should train on hills, and get better, but I want the eas
way
out (^_^)

Thankyou for any useful advice.

think of the difference between your 21T and 23T then think of the sam
degree of difference as you would now have a 25T and a 27T

check out:
http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/cycal/cycal.30f.html
that'll give you an idea of the difference in numbers..

--
flyingdutch

Old August 3rd 05, 03:38 AM
Tamyka Bell

Absent Husband wrote:

[...]

One more thing needs to be said on that (and having not ever seen you
climb, I don't know if this will be helpful or not)...

The 26 cog allowed Abby to get up hills that he couldn't otherwise get
up.

Learning how to pedal more efficiently allowed him to climb those same
hills without going near his 26 cog.

Tam
Old August 3rd 05, 03:45 AM
byron27

Peter Wilson Wrote:
Having read previous posts about climbing and cassettes, I too wanted t
ask, as the OP did not really answer the questions

But I too struggle on some serious climbs, and am running a 12 x 2
cassett
on my road bike
9 speed, Shimano 105

Ok if I go to a 12x27 rear cassette, will I notice a huge difference
I mean I don't want to fork out $140 on a new cassette, if its onl
going t
be a minor change
Please tell me how big a difference I will notice

Yes I know I should train on hills, and get better, but I want the eas
wa
out (^_^

Thankyou for any useful advice.

As dutchy said, there will be a huge difference. 27 though, that
huge!

dont pay 140 bucks

buy it through 'www.probikekit.com' (http://www.probikekit.com

--
byron27

Old August 3rd 05, 05:07 AM
Peter Wilson

Thanks Tamyka, but please teach me about more efficeint pedalling, what
should I do ?
"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

Peter Wilson Wrote:
Having read previous posts about climbing and cassettes, I too wanted
ask, as the OP did not really answer the questions.

But I too struggle on some serious climbs, and am running a 12 x 23
cassette
on my road bike.
9 speed, Shimano 105.

Ok if I go to a 12x27 rear cassette, will I notice a huge difference.
I mean I don't want to fork out $140 on a new cassette, if its only
going to
be a minor change.
Please tell me how big a difference I will notice.

Yes I know I should train on hills, and get better, but I want the easy
way
out (^_^)

Thankyou for any useful advice.

think of the difference between your 21T and 23T then think of the same

Old August 3rd 05, 06:42 AM
GPLama

"Peter Wilson" wrote in message ...
Please tell me how big a difference I will notice.

In speed? heaps.. save your cash... perfect time for some strength
training before summer!

cheers
GPL

Old August 3rd 05, 06:49 AM
ProfTournesol

Peter Wilson Wrote:
Having read previous posts about climbing and cassettes, I too wante
ask, as the OP did not really answer the questions.

But I too struggle on some serious climbs, and am running a 12 x 2
cassette
on my road bike.
9 speed, Shimano 105.

Ok if I go to a 12x27 rear cassette, will I notice a huge difference.
I mean I don't want to fork out $140 on a new cassette, if its onl
going to
be a minor change.
Please tell me how big a difference I will notice.

Yes I know I should train on hills, and get better, but I want the eas
way
out (^_^)

Thankyou for any useful advice.

another option would be to drop some teeth from your small chainring
changing from a 44 to a 40 for instance would make a much bigge
difference as 1 tooth on a chainring is equivalent to 3 or 4 on th
cassette

--
ProfTournesol

Old August 3rd 05, 06:55 AM
Absent Husband

Let's see if I get this right....

Don't put your hands on the hoods or drops, but up on the horizontal
bars. Keep a nice upright position, eyes up the road (not down at your
wheels).

Head and body relaxed and steady. No jigging all over the place, coz
that's wasted energy & inefficiency.

Nice round, full pedalstroke. Concentrate on the back/up/forward part -
the stomp downwards will look after itself. Keep pressure on the pedals
the whole way around...

I thinks thats everything (Tam will punish me if I've missed
something!!). Oh - and hills are your friend. Seek them out, and they
will reward you in many ways...

Abby (still no climber, but better than he was...)