Lance blames fast food.

Old July 21st 04, 07:44 PM
java man (espressopithecus)

Default Lance blames fast food.

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:11:31 GMT, java man (espressopithecus)
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:59:26 GMT, Bob in CT
wrote:

That's true, but it's hard to overeat fat yet very easy to overeat carbs.
I was on low fat for many years, and it's hard not to be hungry. If I eat
pasta with low fat sauce, I'll be hungry in half an hour. On low carb,
I'm rarely hungry.

That's the difference. For people with weight problems, a low fat high
carb diet leaves you hungry all the time. You can only tolerate that
for so long.

True if you mean simple carbohydrates. A low fat diet dominated by
complex carbohydrates and the right amount of protein is very healthy
and doesn't leave you hungry.

It's getting that balance of protien and carbs right for your metabolism and
life that is the trick. The low-fat high-carbs thing that became popular in the
80s went along with a focus on endurance sports and the diets that support them.
Face it, the carb/protein ratio that works for a TdF rider is disastrous if
scaled down to the caloric needs of one of us more ordinary people.

See, it isn't a ratio.

I hope you didn't get that impression from what I wrote.

We each need X amount of protein for the amount of muscle
and lean mass we are carrying to support, heal and/or grow. We additionally need
whatever amount of carbs are necessary for fuel, plus or minus whatever weight
loss or gain goals we have.

One simply needs a certain amount of protein, depending on activity level the
carbs are variable.

I agree -- the amount of protein you need depends on your musculature
and your activity level.

Most of the carbs we take in should be complex, not simple. If anyone
doubts that complex carbs will prevent hunger, try eating 500 calories
of oatmeal for breakfast and see how long it takes to feel hungry
afterwards. It lasts for many hours.

Rick
Old July 22nd 04, 01:00 AM
RonSonic

wrote:

[...]

Not really, guess I started into diet rant mode. That's how these things are
usually presented and it just doesn't work that way.

We each need X amount of protein for the amount of muscle
and lean mass we are carrying to support, heal and/or grow. We additionally need
whatever amount of carbs are necessary for fuel, plus or minus whatever weight
loss or gain goals we have.

One simply needs a certain amount of protein, depending on activity level the
carbs are variable.

I agree -- the amount of protein you need depends on your musculature
and your activity level.

Most of the carbs we take in should be complex, not simple. If anyone
doubts that complex carbs will prevent hunger, try eating 500 calories
of oatmeal for breakfast and see how long it takes to feel hungry
afterwards. It lasts for many hours.

Agreed.

Ron