Are there any states, counties, or cities in the USA where bicycle helmets are mandatory?

Old August 15th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Smokey

Default Are there any states, counties, or cities in the USA where bicycle helmets are mandatory?

This is not a troll, I would just like to know. One of these days I
plan on going on a long tour and would like to know if a helmet will be
required anywhere.

Smokey

Old August 15th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Dimmick

http://www.bhsi.org/mandator.htm

--
stephen dimmick ::
Old August 15th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 15 Aug 2006 09:59:49 -0700, "Smokey"
wrote:

This is not a troll, I would just like to know. One of these days I
plan on going on a long tour and would like to know if a helmet will be
required anywhere.

Smokey

Dear Smokey,

This list gets updated fairly often. Right now, it's current as of
07-04-2006.

http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htm

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old August 15th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Smokey

Stephen Dimmick wrote:
Smokey wrote:
This is not a troll, I would just like to know. One of these days I
plan on going on a long tour and would like to know if a helmet will be
required anywhere.

http://www.bhsi.org/mandator.htm

--
stephen dimmick ::

Thanks, Stephen, that's exactly what I needed.

Smokey

Old August 15th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Smokey

wrote:

This is not a troll, I would just like to know. One of these days I
plan on going on a long tour and would like to know if a helmet will be
required anywhere.

Smokey

Dear Smokey,

This list gets updated fairly often. Right now, it's current as of
07-04-2006.

http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htm

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Thanks Carl, I appreciate it.

Smokey

Old August 15th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jtaylor

"Smokey" wrote in message
ps.com...
This is not a troll, I would just like to know. One of these days I
plan on going on a long tour and would like to know if a helmet will be
required anywhere.

Yes.

There are 37 states in the US where there are MHLs (states including Wa. DC
and those entities more properly known as commonwealths).

Some of these are state-wide, some are limited by geography or age, and so
on. Reports on r.b.t. from some of the pro-helmet zealots are that they are
weakly enforced, if at all.

Good luck - but perhaps you might take your holiday in a more enlightened
county, such as Gt. Britain, where there are no MHLs at all.

Old August 15th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Stephen Dimmick wrote:
Smokey wrote:
This is not a troll, I would just like to know. One of these days I
plan on going on a long tour and would like to know if a helmet will
be required anywhere.

http://www.bhsi.org/mandator.htm

So no statewide laws for adults (closest looks to be WA); vast majority for
kids and even then most are local.

Go on your tour.

Old August 15th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

Many localities require helmets for cyclists under a certain age, in
some cases only when the bike is being ridden on the street. To the
best of my knowledge, none require them for adults. Enforcement is
often capricious where the reglations are present.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 15th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

I stand corrected. No states apparently require a helmet for adults
yet, but a fair number of localities have them including, I was
unsurprised to see, the control-freak capital of Texas, Dallas.

Houston has had a mostly-ignored helmet requirement for under-18
riders for over a decade. Adult riders in my part of town seem to be
about 65 to 75% helmetless; the divide is fairly sharp, with
cheap-bike riders on the streets and sidewalks mostly helmetless, and
roadie/better-bike riders on the bike trails and bike routes mostly
helmet-equipped.

The EMTs at one of the local fire stations say that they've actually
been getting fewer calls on bike mishaps lately despite the increase
in the number of cyclists.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 15th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jtaylor

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
I stand corrected. No states apparently require a helmet for adults
yet, but a fair number of localities have them including, I was
unsurprised to see, the control-freak capital of Texas, Dallas.

That'd be over a million residents subject to this MHL.
"Control-freak"-ness is not limited to Texas, the State of California
requires that something over 10 million of its residents wear helmets while
cycling.

The EMTs at one of the local fire stations say that they've actually
been getting fewer calls on bike mishaps lately despite the increase
in the number of cyclists.

Um, that's be _because of_, rather than _despite_ the increased number of
cyclists.