Trek 520

Old June 22nd 10, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Trek 520

seth1066 wrote:
Saw a 1993 520 on Ebay, claimed mileage is in *yards.* Which is better
lugged or tig welded?

Lugged.
Old June 23rd 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
seth1066

****, the thing is over $800 already with 8 days to go.
Old June 23rd 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

seth1066 wrote:
On Jun 22, 7:48 am, SMS wrote:
seth1066 wrote:
Saw a 1993 520 on Ebay, claimed mileage is in *yards.* Which is better
lugged or tig welded?

Lugged.

****, the thing is over $800 already with 8 days to go.

Not worth that much. Wait for the next 15% off sale on bicycles at REI
and get a Surly LHT or Novara Randonee.
Old June 23rd 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 23, 8:28*am, Greg Mortensen wrote:
In SMS writes:

Wait for the next 15% off sale on bicycles at REI
and get a Surly LHT or Novara Randonee.

You'll be waiting a long time. *From REI's product support:

"The Randonee has been discontinued. We have sold out of all the 2010
models we had and we will not be getting any more in stock or any for
2011."

Get the LHT, put on some Wellgo mtb flats, ride. Bring a snack.

Want less mass, lugs, more quirks? Masi Speciale Radonneur:

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/conte...ale-randonneur
Old June 23rd 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
seth1066

In SMS writes:

Wait for the next 15% off sale on bicycles at REI
and get a Surly LHT or Novara Randonee.

You'll be waiting a long time. *From REI's product support:

"The Randonee has been discontinued. We have sold out of all the 2010
models we had and we will not be getting any more in stock or any for
2011."

Get the LHT, put on some Wellgo mtb flats, ride. Bring a snack.

Want less mass, lugs, more quirks? Masi Speciale Radonneur:

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/conte...speciale-rando...

This 520 is close to brand new, I may have to own it as a collector's
item.
Old June 23rd 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"SMS" wrote in message
seth1066 wrote:
Saw a 1993 520 on Ebay, claimed mileage is in *yards.* Which is better
lugged or tig welded?

Lugged.

From an aesthetic standpoint, maybe, but not strength. A tig-welded frame
using air-hardened tubing of similar thickness is nearly impossible to kill.
You simply don't see buckled downtubes on such bikes. If you're talking 853,
you still don't see buckled downtubes, but the tubing is so thin it's prone
to other issues. But the tig-welded 520s are built with normal-gauge tubing
and can pretty much be shot out of a cannon into a concrete bunker and it
won't be the frame that's damaged.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old June 28th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

From an aesthetic standpoint, maybe, but not strength. A tig-welded
frame using air-hardened tubing of similar thickness is nearly
impossible to kill. You simply don't see buckled downtubes on such
bikes. If you're talking 853, you still don't see buckled downtubes, but
the tubing is so thin it's prone to other issues. But the tig-welded
520s are built with normal-gauge tubing and can pretty much be shot out
of a cannon into a concrete bunker and it won't be the frame that's
damaged.

I can somewhat attest to the accuracy of the strength of the Trek 520.

I own a 1993 Trek 520 having bought it new (a collectors item???) and
taken it on many loaded tours (80-85 pound bicycle) over thousands of
miles over the years. It's also my primary daily non-winter commuter.

While I have not been shot out of a canon into concrete with the bike,
it is indeed a very rugged bicycle.

I'm kind of surprised such a bike would be going for at least $800. I
think it was $1000 new in '93.

SMH