Obstructions

Old August 24th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Obstructions

John ? are you there ?

has the snake report come in from Costa Rica ?
Old August 24th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 6:02:54 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

For me it was cotton mouths and alligators. Last time I was home in New
Orleans I had a smallish 6 foot gator cross highway 11 (near the Rigolets)
in front of me. Managed to avoid him. They don't turn quickly.

A couple years ago my wife and I passed by Okefenokee park in Georgia. Although
my wife was nervous about it, we had no problem cycling past alligators basking
at the roadside. IIRC it was February, though, and despite the sunny day we were
riding in long pants and jackets. I don't think the gators felt too industrious.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 24th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On 2017-08-22 18:23, John B. wrote:

Good Lord! Yet another danger our intrepid mountain biker defies.

The facts are that there are between 7,000 and 8,000 reptile bites
annually in the U.S. of which 7 - 12 result in death.
http://www.reptileknowledge.com/how-...-rattlesnakes/

As with bicycle accidents many people make the mistake of only looking
at deaths and ignoring all the cases where "life-altering" aftermath
occurs ...

Yes, and that also applies to the horrible dangers of falling out of chairs.
There's no way to know the terrible toll!

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 24th 17, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 12:56:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 02:31:35 UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Growing up in New England they were called woodchucks.

It is from the Cree "wuchack" meaning "grass-eater."

They were edible by the way.

I've never tried them, though I have thought the recipe for squirrel in
The Joy of Cooking would likely work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bURxJruV6g

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 24th 17, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 6:02:54 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

For me it was cotton mouths and alligators. Last time I was home in New
Orleans I had a smallish 6 foot gator cross highway 11 (near the Rigolets)
in front of me. Managed to avoid him. They don't turn quickly.

A couple years ago my wife and I passed by Okefenokee park in
Georgia. Although my wife was nervous about it, we had no problem
cycling past alligators basking at the roadside. IIRC it was February,
though, and despite the sunny day we were riding in long pants and
jackets. I don't think the gators felt too industrious.

Years ago I had a job interview at a carbon black plant in south
Louisiana (they didn't give me an offer). The engineer there told me
that they preferred to hire local guys as operators, because if a yankee
saw an alligator walking through the plant he might just walk off the
job.

Old August 24th 17, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 24/08/2017 2:35 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

The local guy would be thinking in terms of a nice sauce piquant.
Old August 24th 17, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Ralph Barone wrote:
:
: But far more important! Some 450 people die annually from falling out
: of bed every year. think of it! 64 people die from falling out of bed
: for every death by snake bite.
: --
: Cheers,
:
: John B.

:They're obviously falling out of bed into a snake pit.

Mostly, they're already sick. The fall is just a proximate cause, the
actual cause is something else.

--
sig 16
Old August 25th 17, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

I'm sure that's better than running away like a yankee, or a little
girl, or, God help us, a little girl yankee. But it still doesn't leave
anyone watching the plant.

Good point.

--
duane

Old August 25th 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 14:35:17 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Probably more likely to *run* off the job :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Obstructions [email protected] Techniques 336 October 18th 11 01:11 AM
obstructions lite Dan O Techniques 5 June 27th 10 01:47 PM
Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City Mike Jacoubowsky General 201 February 9th 08 06:36 PM
Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City Tom Sherman[_2_] Social Issues 188 February 9th 08 06:36 PM