Pedal and Shoe Question

Old September 5th 03, 08:27 PM
Ken Jude

Default Pedal and Shoe Question

I've just bought the Shimano pedals that are SPD on one side and
conventional pedal on the other, together with a pair of SH-M020 shoes
as my first venture into the SPD arena after deciding I hated the
straps on the original pedals on my bike.

The leaflet with the shoes says they cannot be used with SPD pedals
for road riding. Can someone explain to me why not? They are
comfortable. I am sure with practice they will be a huge improvement
on my trainers/old pedals combination which managed London - Windsor
last weekend (my first ever "event").

I can't see why the Shimano shoes won't cope with similar distances on
the road.
Old September 5th 03, 08:48 PM
Roger Barker

In article , Ken Jude
writes
I've just bought the Shimano pedals that are SPD on one side and
conventional pedal on the other, together with a pair of SH-M020 shoes
as my first venture into the SPD arena after deciding I hated the
straps on the original pedals on my bike.

The leaflet with the shoes says they cannot be used with SPD pedals
for road riding. Can someone explain to me why not? They are
comfortable. I am sure with practice they will be a huge improvement
on my trainers/old pedals combination which managed London - Windsor
last weekend (my first ever "event").

I can't see why the Shimano shoes won't cope with similar distances on
the road.

Well so far I've done about 3,500 miles road riding in a pair...

--
Roger Barker
Boston, UK
Old September 5th 03, 08:55 PM
Ken Jude

Old September 5th 03, 09:48 PM
M Series

I believe there is another type of Shimano clipless pedals called SPD-R. My
guess is your shoes will not accept SPD-R cleats.

Old September 5th 03, 10:07 PM
Ken Jude

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:59:34 +0000 (UTC), "RG"
wrote:

Are you sure that you read that right ?

Yup. To quote: "NOTE: These SPD shoes cannot be used with SPD/SPD-R
pedals for road riding".

I wonder if it's something that got lost in the translation? Although
the French, German and Dutch tranlations also appear to have the
appropriate words in them to imply a negative statement as well.
Old September 6th 03, 10:35 AM
Simon Brooke

Ken Jude writes:

I've just bought the Shimano pedals that are SPD on one side and
conventional pedal on the other, together with a pair of SH-M020 shoes
as my first venture into the SPD arena after deciding I hated the
straps on the original pedals on my bike.

Yes, my partner uses these. They're very nice and practical, and make
a good half-way step.

The leaflet with the shoes says they cannot be used with SPD pedals
for road riding. Can someone explain to me why not? They are
comfortable. I am sure with practice they will be a huge improvement
on my trainers/old pedals combination which managed London - Windsor
last weekend (my first ever "event").

This is a bunch of crap, intended to get you to buy more shoes.

'Road' SPDs and 'off-road' SPDs are allegedly incompatible. Everyone
you talk to in every bike shop will tell you this, so Shimano must
have drummed it into them hard with lots of awful warnings. In point
of fact it just isn't true. I use the cleats which came with my
'off-road' SPD pedals on my cycling shoes, whichever bike I'm riding,
and they work just fine. Whether 'road' cleats work with 'off-road'
pedals I don't know, because I haven't tried it, but 'off-road' cleats
can certainly be used with 'road' pedals.

It's possible that the 'road' SPD cleats are flatter to the shoe, so
that if you fit them to 'off-road' shoes the tread of the shoe will
foul the pedal; but if you fit 'off-road' cleats they don't foul the
pedal and all is well.

Mind you, I can't guarantee this - I'm only reporting my own
experience. Suck it and see.

;; when in the ****, the wise man plants courgettes