Third ride not happening

Old January 24th 16, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Third ride not happening

It's a glorious day out there, and I know I'd enjoy the ride once I
got moving, and my diastolic is up to 85, so I *really* need the
exercise.

But by the time I got suited up, it would be time to come back.
Besides, my only heavy sweater needs darning, and if I wear it before
I darn it, the hole will get bigger.

==========

I never set foot outside except to throw out the garbage, but I did
get some sewing done. Looks like my next chance to ride won't be
until Wednesday.

On my first ride of 2016, I thought of two new topics for the Aunt
Granny posts, but lost one because mittens aren't conducive to taking
notes. I was disappointed that the topic didn't come back to me
during my second ride, but I did perk up after I got moving, stopped
at two stores before getting to Aldi -- there would have been a point
to taking my heavy socks so I could try on shoes after all, but I was
glad not to have them while packing groceries into my panniers. And
afterward I made a side trip to Aunt Millie's Bread Outlet.

AWK SCRICKLE as I exited the store -- where is my bike? Took only a
second to remember that I'd parked by the steps that appear to have
been installed for my personal convenience. But I did once see a
long-haul trucker use them to get to the convenient store in the gas
station.

If you've been following AG: , you may have noticed that I'm scraping
the bottom of the buffer. The series will end Real Soon Now.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Old January 24th 16, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/23/2016 8:46 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

If you've been following AG: , you may have noticed that I'm scraping
the bottom of the buffer. The series will end Real Soon Now.

Oh, don't stop!

I know the feeling. I have a couple of regular monthly writing
assignments. After years and years, the well gets a bit dry.

(This is why television is so bad, on average. It voraciously consumes
content.)

But don't stop.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 26th 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 10:39:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But don't stop.

While lying in bed growsing that a telemarketer had interrupted my
nap, and wondering whether I could find out the name of the
chronically-sore body part a little to the left of my spine, not too
far from the top of the coccyx, topic drift brought an idea for
another post to mind, so AG: will last at least one more week.

There are also two partly-written articles in the buffer, and one of
them wants only another couple of paragraphs. The other, alas,
describes something that I don't understand nearly as well as I
thought I did before I started trying to explain it.

Old January 26th 16, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/25/2016 10:18 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

There are also two partly-written articles in the buffer, and one of
them wants only another couple of paragraphs. The other, alas,
describes something that I don't understand nearly as well as I
thought I did before I started trying to explain it.

That last phenomenon is common among teachers. It leads to intense
preparation, so one learns a lot when trying to teach others. It's one
reason I tried to get my better students to act as tutors.

Imagine how much better we'd be at cycling if we all taught cycling classes!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 27th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 11:35:20 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Imagine how much better we'd be at cycling if we all taught cycling classes!

Which is why I'm writing those columns!

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Old January 27th 16, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 21:46:43 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Looks like my next chance to ride won't be
until Wednesday.

And I took it. Not as fine a day as Saturday, but I didn't need
mittens, so I was able to take notes, so there should be two more AG:
posts. Assuming, of course, that I remember what I meant by
"comickup:stop" and "fit in winter" when I have time to write.

There were fine flakes of snow in the air, and temperatures were
predicted to rise above freezing, so I didn't stop as often as I might
have. Still didn't get home until after one o'clock -- despite having
risen at half-past eight, it was ten-fifty before I got moving.

The first time I stopped, I forgot to take my bottle in with me. But
I took it in at the next place, and closing and opening the valve a
couple of times got it working again. (Maybe that can be another
post?)

Old September 4th 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 23:18:45 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

. . . and wondering whether I could find out the name of the
chronically-sore body part a little to the left of my spine, not too
far from the top of the coccyx,

Thanks to what I call The Easter Incident, I now know that that is the
sacroiliac joint.

There are some things I don't mind knowing, but regret having learned.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old November 11th 16, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

. . . and wondering whether I could find out the name of the
chronically-sore body part a little to the left of my spine, not too
far from the top of the coccyx,

Thanks to what I call The Easter Incident, I now know that that is the
sacroiliac joint.

There are some things I don't mind knowing, but regret having learned.

You mean having learned the hard way. Usually the only way to deal with these things are to ride through them. After the last two huge crashes I was on the bike again in days. Though not very fast, mind you.
Old April 18th 20, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

While checking a link, I stumbled across this 2016 post in Google
Groups.

wrote:

While lying in bed growsing that a telemarketer had interrupted my
nap, and wondering whether I could find out the name of the
chronically-sore body part a little to the left of my spine, not too
far from the top of the coccyx, topic drift brought an idea for
another post to mind, so AG: will last at least one more week.

Much to my sorrow, I have known for some years now that the little
bump that feels like a clenched jaw muscle is part of my hip bone.

The three shots I had the summer before last are, knock wood, still
holding. We have a seat in the shower, and the shower head is on a
hose that reaches clear to the floor, but at seventy-nine, washing my
feet in the hand-washing sink is still the easiest way to do it.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old April 27th 20, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:46:47 PM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
[...]

While I don't have the clothing problem, the weather with overcast until 12:00 and a head-on wind of 20 mph has kept me inside without riding as well. For the last five days however the weather has cooperated at least a little with it being warm enough to ride with shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Slathered up with suntan lotion and did 5 rides in six days. Today I'm recovering. It's done two rides with 1,600 feet of climbing and in the highest gear I could carry up the 7% stuff.

I absolutely have to maintain a VERY slow ride to recover tomorrow but I'll probably get carried away and strain too much which will be disastrous to my recovery. But I'll make the good old college try...

At this point 1,200 miles on the odometer and 36,000 feet of climbing. If they ever end this lockdown and I can return to my previous ride with a coffee stop at the halfway mark I'll hopefully clear 5,000 miles and over 100,000 feet for the year. I think my 75 year old body should hold it.

Yesterday I was passed by about 5 young guys on the hard climb. When I got to the top they were all sitting around and I stopped long enough for a drink and then proceeded down the other side. Last time I saw them. I was feeling pretty good from the dead slow Saturday ride. After the steep descent at 45 mph which these guys won't do, I held it at 19-24 mph for the rest of the 5 miles or so over rolling terrain. The water kept my power up so that when I got into the city I was riding at 19 mph for about four miles discounting stopping at three or four stop signs.

It felt like I had a tailwind but when I slowed it was just the opposite. I can tell that I'm not getting enough riding because I can stand right up from slouching in front of the TV. When I'm riding enough my rest heart rate is so low that I have to sit upright for a couple of seconds for my heart rate to get high enough so that I don't have to hold on to something to keep from falling down. The first time a new doctor tests my heart rate they always say, "HOW old are you?"