which tandem recumbent trike should i buy

Old September 15th 03, 02:45 AM
Peter M Spirito

Default which tandem recumbent trike should i buy

We are looking for input on which tandem recumbent trike to buy.
Old September 15th 03, 03:14 AM
Alan Weiss

There are now several on the market. The Greenspeed
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/tandemplus.htm
seems to be the standard by which others are measured. It is huge,
comfortable, and built like a tank. Organic Engines has one
http://www.organicengines.com/Troika/index.htm
that looks good to me, but I haven't tried it. There is a new one by Logo
http://www.logotrikes.com/models.htm#tandem
that has no track record, but may be a winner.

There are also a few delta configurations, such as Lightfoot Cycles ME3
http://www.lightfootcycles.com/ go to Other, Tandem
and the Penninger or Kettwiesel delta trikes that can be linked into
tandems, but can also be unlinked and ridden as singles.
http://www.PenningerRecumbents.com/
http://www.hase-spezialraeder.de/ (the English menu seems to be broken
right now)

There are also a few sociable trikes (side by side instead of front and
back), but I know very little about these.

So, which to buy? There are loads of differences. I think the main
considerations are your budget, the type of riding you plan to do (day
trips, long loaded tours, racing, shopping,...), how often you may wish
to transport the trike(s) by car or air, and the availability of service
for whatever you choose. Of course, you also have to figure out which
one(s) feel best to you, and that may not be easy, since I don't think
any store stocks all the models I mentioned (and there may be more that
I am neglecting).

Good luck, and please let us know whoat you decide and how it works out.

Alan Weiss
NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

Old September 15th 03, 03:25 AM
iLiad

Peter,

Just as a note, I believe there is currently a Greenspeed Tandem on the
IHPVA mailing list used.
They don't come along often, so you might check it out.

As far as the trike, it depends on a few areas. Budget, needs, etc. Here are
a few snippets from a trike review paper I am writing:

SNIP----
Wizwheelz Terratrike Tandem-

It is somewhat unfair to mention the Terratrike tandem, as I haven't
actually ridden one. However, a major concern that I would like to voice is
this trikes lack of fenders. It's simply dangerous to have someone that low
to the ground in the stoker position taking on road debris from the front
tires. I know because I have made the mistake of taking the fenders off my
Greenspeed tandem in the past, only to have my wife hurdled with rocks. If
you have ever ran a rock over in a vehicle and watched it spit out at fast
speeds, you get the idea. With fenders on, this simply doesn't happen.

I know, I know, the fenders are coming. I've heard that for almost four
years now. The Wizwheelz guys are great, so hopefully they are reading this
and getting the fenders on the way! It's funny as I had a conversation with
them in late August 2003, and the fenders were supposed to be on the market
the following week. Still not holding my breath. Although they do claim
"they have seen them with their own eyes...."

-----SNIP

Some areas to keep in mind on the Whizwheelz. Typically the price is great.
This is version 1.0 of their trike however, and they tend to bring in new
models quite regularly. There is a fairly good chance
that your trike will be outdated in the next few years and getting parts
might be an issue. I have a 3.2 trike that was released originally in
February of 2001, actually purchased a few months after that, and it is
considered "Vintage" by the Wizwheelz timeline (see evolution of the
terratrike link off the wizwheelz home page). Come on, this trike is only
two years old!

Pro's
Great Price
No Sales Tax for most states!
Good Customer Service
Been in business for many years
Should command great resale value

Con's
Version 1.0, actually 1.3 but it is the first to hit the market.
No Fenders
Appears that seat adjusting still has falacies like current trike
terra-trike models
Minimal Stoker Size adjustment (Short 38 -43 and Medium 42-46)
Transportation. No S&S Couple option leaves minimal shipping and
transportation options.

It might sound like I am "anti-wizwheelz", but actually just the opposite. I
have owned three of their trikes and can pretty much guarantee I will own at
least three more in my life (if not more ;-).

Greenspeed Tandem-
The GTT is an awesome trike. I do own this one.

Pro's
Incredible crafstmanship
Thoughtful design
Functional
Quality Components
S&S Coupler Option for Traveling
Fenders (your partner will thank you, well probably not because they won't
know the difference of getting hit by road debris)
Mature, on the market for numerous years
Great resale value
Good Customer Service

Con's
Price. Can be as high as 5000 to 6000 or more, depending on options,
customs, etc.
New ergonomic seats have yet to be "fully" tested by consumers. Might like
it, might not.
The wait...unless you buy used.

Trice XL-
Once again, not a tandem trike I have had the option of riding. I have kept
abreast somewhat on it. Normally I hear from riders that go the Trice option
is that they found it more comfortable. But those that went with the
Greenspeed (both groups having tried both), found it more comfortable.
The Pro's and Con's won't be much different then the Greenspeed. I believe
greenspeed (from my own experience) was more responsive with questions.

Organic Engines-
They sell Tandems, but you just don't hear a lot from this company. Maybe I
am not as active in the community as I once was. Kevin Atkins from Indiana
seems to know a little
more about these folks then I do, might try him sometime for any comments.
He owns a greenspeed tandem as well though.

Now, here is my advice. If you haven't ridden trikes much before, or you are
concerned about your riding partner actually riding on a regular basis, buy
the Wizwheelz. It would be a great starter tandem, and you can always
upgrade later.
If you are a seasoned trike rider, want to travel with it much, or want the
quality and maturity of the product, go with the Greenspeed.

Let me know if this helps.

Brad

Old September 15th 03, 05:54 AM
Tom Sherman

Alan Weiss wrote:

There are now several on the market....

Add the ICE Trice X2 and Expedition.
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/frameset.html?x2

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers
Old September 15th 03, 01:35 PM
mike s

The other comments have really stated the obvious about consideration
of a trike to buy. My wife and I have tried several tadpole tandems
as well as singles. This year at the Recumbent Rally in Steven's
Point we tried the Hase, which is technically more of a train than a
trike as you have two independent delta trikes hitched together (rear
trike has front wheel removed). We knew we would not like it. So
much for what we know. We had a great time trying out this unit. I
was impressed with the delta configuration, something I thought was
just for frumps. It was sprightly, lively, quick, comfortable and fun
to ride. And the nice advantage is you can separate them, put the
front wheel on the rear trike, and now you have two single recumbent
trikes. Spoke to a couple there who loved theirs, had ridden it for
more than a year. Unfortunately, they (in tandem) cost as much as
your costlier trike tandems.

Good luck on the search.

Mike S.
ST. Louis, Mo

Barcroft Virginia
Barcroft Columbia
RANS Rocket
Old September 15th 03, 04:22 PM
MLB

(mike s) wrote in
om:

[...]

I haven't done the tandem yet, but that is why I sold my TT 3.3 and
bought a Kett. The cost consideration (more like the low midrange price
than costlier at 5k, GS and Trice are still another 1k or more) changes
when you consider that when you have a dedicated tandem you've got to
have other bikes/trikes to ride the rest of the time! With the "kett
train" (i like that) you've got TWO separate trikes for all the rest of
the time! PLUS if the price of tandems BLOWS you away like it does me,
you can just buy two used ketts ( I paid 1800.00 for my less than 100
mile 2001) as you find them, and buy the "hitch" from Hostel Shoppe and
you're set for less than 4k.
There is also the storage issue. Tandem trikes are HUGE and take up a
lot of garage space (plus your necessary OTHER bikes), not to mention
transporting one to rides. Ketts stand up vertically on a rear rubber
bumber. You could store a tandem (separated and standing up) in a
68"x56" area!
It really is a very cool trike with lots of features that set it apart.
I wish Hase would get with it and put a triple ring on it and get some
marketing going in this country. It's every bit as sporty as the raved
about WizWheelz and is much easier to get on and off.
Old September 15th 03, 05:29 PM
Larry Varney

A consideration about the WizWheelz TerraTrikes Tandem: the turning
circle has been improved greatly. I've just tried out a "new and
improved" hubmount, and the result was a reduction in diameter of the
circle of about 7.5 feet.
I've put up a page with some pictures at
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney/ttt.html

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Old September 15th 03, 08:27 PM
MLB

Larry Varney wrote in news:3f65e8b3$0$43890$a0465688
@nnrp.fuse.net:

http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney/ttt.html

Larry, did you ride the Troika? Can you compare to the WW? I was really
interested in the Troi as the only "affordable" solution at that time, but
just couldn't find much/any info other than 1 owner who was helpful.
In fact as the 2 4k tandems, maybe you should do a comparo?
Old September 15th 03, 09:30 PM
Larry Varney

MLB wrote:
Larry Varney wrote in news:3f65e8b3$0$43890$a0465688
@nnrp.fuse.net:

http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney/ttt.html

Larry, did you ride the Troika? Can you compare to the WW? I was really
interested in the Troi as the only "affordable" solution at that time, but
just couldn't find much/any info other than 1 owner who was helpful.
In fact as the 2 4k tandems, maybe you should do a comparo?

I did ride the Troika, but just briefly. I'd like to have one for a
few weeks or so, just to do it justice, so I could see how it handles
hills, flats, day-to-day stuff like getting it in and out of the
basement, etc.
But that said, I will comment on the things I did notice. The
handlebars might be adjustable, I'm not sure, but this owner had his at
such a position that my hands were dangerously close to the tires and
spokes. It wouldn't take much inattention to wind up with a rotary manicure!
The seats are a good two or three inches higher than those on the WW.
The brakes were good, but since he had the drums, it's almost unfair
to even compare them to the disks on the WW. I love the drums on my
GTO, but since coming into contact with the disks on the WW TT 3.4 and
then on the Catrike Speed, I've really come to love them.
I'll probably be going to Florida for a couple of weeks in November -
I'm thinking about the South Broward century on the 9th and the Horrible
Hundred on the 16th - so maybe I'll get a chance to stop in and see the
Organic Engines shop, not to mention Catrike.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY