Negative reaction from unicycling to work

Old August 16th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sgaterboy

Default Negative reaction from unicycling to work

Hey all!

I have two jobs. One of them is really really cool about the whole
unicycling thing, and I've unicycled to work several times with nary a
negative comment.

The other job is the one I'm having a problem with. There are
apparently people there who think that I should act "professional" or
something and think that unicycling to work in uniform gives a negative
impression to the public regarding the company. They say that it shows
a lack of respect for my job.

'THIS POST' (http://tinyurl.com/yvt2e9) from here kind of aggravated
the issue inside of me. Is it really disrespectful to choose a single
wheel as your mode of transportation to work?

--
Sgaterboy
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Sgaterboy wrote:
Is it really disrespectful to choose a single wheel as your mode of
transportation to work?

No, and shame on anyone who implies that it is. I think they were more
concerned about the uniform, and the association of that uniform with
non-company activities. When wearing a company uniform, people tend to
assume you're at work, doing company business. Regardless of that,
you're representing your company in everything you do wile that uniform
is on. It's their uniform, and it's really up to them to set policies
of what they want people doing like wearing it. If you were a runner,
they might not even approve of that in the uniform (it would help to
know what kind of company it is, though it doesn't matter in terms of
this).

So just don't wear the uniform. I always wore bike shorts when I rode
to work, and a shirt that would be all sweaty by the time I got there.
Changing was a necessity anyway. I'd bring in a week's worth of clothes
on a driving day, or in a backpack. And deodorant.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

johnfoss wrote:

So just don't wear the uniform. I always wore bike shorts when I rode
to work, and a shirt that would be all sweaty by the time I got there.
Changing was a necessity anyway. I'd bring in a week's worth of clothes
on a driving day, or in a backpack. And deodorant.

And if that doesn't work out...

Consider whether it's better to keep the job (and have money to spend
on unicycling kit) or move on somewhere else. My reaction would
probably be to unicycle at other times instead of riding to work, at
least until I moved on job-wise.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sgaterboy

our ops manual says:

"crewmwmbers are to be in complete uniform while in the
airport/terminal, on company property, or in transit between Hotel and
airport associated with scheduled operational duty. complete uniform
includes tie, hat, belt, wings, ID, and epaulets.

A crewmwmber may not wear their uniform while off-duty EXCEPT while
traveling to and from work"

. . so the operations manual specifically allows it!

--
Sgaterboy
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

IMO should not be an issue. But before I got into unicycling I may have
agreed w/ your employers. Then I thought only circus performers and
crazy daredevils did unicycling and never considered it to be used for
transportation.

johnfoss wrote:
I always wore bike shorts when I rode to work, and a shirt that would be
all sweaty by the time I got there. Changing was a necessity anyway.
I'd bring in a week's worth of clothes on a driving day, or in a
backpack. And deodorant.

I have the same problem and use the same solution. A performance T
(instead of an extra) + more deoderant work if I don't have to start
work for 30 min or so. We can wear pretty much anything we want.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Sgaterboy wrote:
. . . so the operations manual specifically allows it!

Are you a flight attendant?

Yes, you appear to be covered by company policy in your uniform usage.
However it didn't mention unicycles, and it doesn't seem to imply that
you have to wear the uniform on your way to work.

There are apparently people there who think that I should act
"professional" or something

And you're not one of them?

For whatever reason, you haven't mentioned what the job is. Sounds like
you not only work at airports, but you also travel in your job, so I'm
guessing flight attendant. But I assume this is mostly about your
travel between home and work. As a commuter, a bigger wheel will make
you look more "professional" while riding. By contrast, a 20" is so
marginally efficient that it hardly makes sense to use one over
walking. Is this what they mean by professional? Probably not.

Talk to your superiors. Find out what the problem is, if any, or is it
just a general disapproval of someone riding around on a unicycle in
company uniform. I also find that a helmet and a mirror on my glasses
makes me look a lot more like a cyclist and less like a kook. But that
might put you out of dress code, as I see it mentions a hat.

Old August 16th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DarkTom

Howdy.

This is a **** situation.

I get nasty stares and the occasional shouting when I go through red
lights and the green man on my bike while in work clothes, on way to
and from work.

When I do it 'in civvies' nobody bats an eye lid.

If I unicycle to work in uniform, it's a total mixed bag. I'm a
primary school janitor so some folk think it's cool for the kids and
that, but a lot more think I'm a total daftie for doing it. And tell
me so.

It's ****, but just wear different clothes on the journey to work. I
am so very nearly close to doing this myself.

Or I could just (bi)cycle more responsibly, but where's the fun in
that.

Hope you get it sorted some how.

T.

--
DarkTom

*"DarkTom of Glasgow, one of the few uni riders here that you really
musn't mess with" - GkMac
"mondeos can fly" - Pebbles*

'I'm flogging off some old tat'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=283272)
'My Gallery'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=155049)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lauraz

Sorry to hear about the negative reaction. Have you tried talking to
your boss about why you ride a unicycle? And they don’t want to hear
that you are an eccentric person looking to stand out. Do you have
mainstream reasons for riding? The price of gas is high, not driving
your car is good for the environment, riding helps keep you in shape,
with fewer parts the maintenance is cheaper/easier than a b*ke, the
size means storage is easier than a b*ke… It may help if you talk to
your boss with real mainstream reasons they can relate to.

--
lauraz
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Whilst personally I would not see it as disrespectful, at any point you
are wearing their uniform, you are representing the company. I'd say
it's well within their rights to ask you not to represent them in a way
they don't like.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomkarches

I believe that they can legitimately be concerned it if you are wearing
a work uniform while riding. Like they wouldn't want to see you in
uniform at a protest.

Just wear riding clothes to work and change when you get there. This is
what I do. More comfortable anyway.

I keep clothes at work so I don't have to carry them back and forth.

--tom

--
tomkarches
http://www.usenet.com

Unicycling to work is like buying a CD? Bruce Dawson Unicycling 16 September 10th 07 05:29 AM
Negative sponsorship ilan Racing 8 July 22nd 06 10:28 PM
Negative racing [email protected] Racing 1 July 10th 05 07:04 PM
Negative press Dave Harney Recumbent Biking 24 September 16th 03 02:50 AM
Work mates just don't get unicycling. Sarah Miller Unicycling 7 September 11th 03 11:10 PM