Recumbent OUCH!

Old January 12th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Recumbent OUCH!

Former RANS V-Rex rider Rex Kerr wrote:
A coworker has a SWB USS recumbent in the office... it's longer than
the wall between his cube and the neighboring cube. A few minutes ago I
was there talking about some issue and when I turn to leave I hit the
extended chainring with my knee. My "catch the falling bike!" instinct
kicks in and I go to grab it and drive a chainring tooth deep into the
soft tissue between my thumb and forefinger.

OUCH! Now blood is dripping all over!!

See, if it'd been a DF bike that wouldn't have happened! First, it
would have fit in the space provided like the dozens of other bikes
around here, and second the chainring would have been in a safer
location!!!

Just trolling... :-)

You are being punished by the Gods of RANS for your loss of faith.

The exposed chain wheels are there to punish the clumsy. They also serve
to shift the advantage from pedestrian to cyclist in a collision (the
pedestrian almost always wins in an upright bicycle to pedestrian
collision).

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 12th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Rex Kerr

Tom Sherman wrote:
You are being punished by the Gods of RANS for your loss of faith.

Man, good memory. Yeah, I dabbled for a number of years, but I'm now
recumbent free.

That said, perhaps you're right. After years of injury free recumbent
ownership I get this from a stray recumbent!
Old January 12th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ryan Cousineau

In article , Rex Kerr wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:
You are being punished by the Gods of RANS for your loss of faith.

Man, good memory. Yeah, I dabbled for a number of years, but I'm now
recumbent free.

That said, perhaps you're right. After years of injury free recumbent
ownership I get this from a stray recumbent!

What drove your apostasy?

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old January 12th 08, 07:25 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
32GO

Former RANS V-Rex rider Rex Kerr wrote:

A coworker has a SWB USS recumbent in the office... I hit
the extended chainring with my knee... I go to grab it
and drive a chainring tooth deep into the soft tissue
between my thumb and forefinger.

In our small (trikes only) shop, we usually have a few
tadpoles sitting on their wheels with cranks facing the
public. We use a commercial edge protector made of heavy
plastic with metal inserts with a U-shaped cross section
that wraps nicely around the big chainring to avoid any
(more) awkward and painful shin biting experiences. We
also sell them trimmed to length, with a 3-2-GO vinyl
label added for snob appeal, for local customers. These
simple little doodads have been very well accepted, and
they also work nicely to keep chain grease off seats and
such when transporting trikes in minivans, for example.
We've even finally learned to (almost) always remove them
before riding...

Regards,
Wayne Leggett
3-2-GO: The Trike Store
Ventura CA USA
Old January 12th 08, 10:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_3_]

"32GO" wrote in message
[...]

Like Trim-Loc (or equivalent), the stuff that is used to protect/decorate
hard shell seats?

Old January 12th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Just A User

Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

The Gods of RANS have a funny way of punishing people.
About the chainring sticking out. A df wheel sticks out a similar
distance as the chainrings on a SWB recumbent.
Old January 13th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
32GO

gotbent asked:

[A commercial edge protector made of heavy plastic with
metal inserts with a U-shaped cross section] like Trim-Loc
(or equivalent), the stuff that is used to protect/decorate
hard shell seats?

Yes. There's a bewildering range of materials, textures,
colors and sizes, and it can be hard to find the right stuff
without buying a huge roll.

Regards,
Wayne Leggett
3-2-GO: The Trike Store
Old January 14th 08, 04:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Wilson Warmouth[_11_]

"32GO" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps a simpler solution might be to leave the chain on the larger chain
ring when you park the bike/trike. That might mean the difference between
paying for a pair of pants going to the cleaners as opposed to paying for a
person going to the emergency room for a relatively minor injury.

Old January 14th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_3_]

"Wilson Warmouth" wrote in message

"32GO" wrote in message
[...]

Why would someone go to the hospital for a minor injury? That seems rather a
stretch of credulity.

FWIW I use a heavy duty trash sack to cover the greasy bits of my trike when
I transport it by Subaru. I pull the bag over the chainrings and gather it
around the boom and stuff the gathered bit under the waterbottle cage, or in
the cage and then put a bottle in the cage. This protects the front seats
from chain grease and chainring tattoos and from the pedals too.

Yesterday, I found another use for the bag. When I got to my buddys house, I
arranged the bag to cover the seat back. My riding jacket is from my MTB
days and has a windproof front, but a breathable back and I lose a lot of
heat through the mesh seat cover. The trash bag worked pretty well to help
keep me comfortable on a 1°c day.

Old January 14th 08, 06:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

"32GO" wrote in message
In our small (trikes only) shop, we usually have a few
tadpoles sitting on their wheels with cranks facing the
public. We use a commercial edge protector made of heavy
plastic with metal inserts with a U-shaped cross section
that wraps nicely around the big chainring to avoid any
(more) awkward and painful shin biting experiences. We
also sell them trimmed to length, with a 3-2-GO vinyl
label added for snob appeal, for local customers. These
simple little doodads have been very well accepted, and
they also work nicely to keep chain grease off seats and
such when transporting trikes in minivans, for example.
We've even finally learned to (almost) always remove them
before riding...

Regards,
Wayne Leggett
3-2-GO: The Trike Store
Ventura CA USA

Wayne, do you have a pic of this thing somewhere? I'd like something like
this for my GT5, to protect the chainring when folding/unfolding the trike,
as well as when it's in the trunk. I can surely rig something myself, but I
enjoy the "snob" factor as long as it's not pricey to have.

Recumbent OUCH! Rex Kerr General 35 January 26th 08 11:18 PM
Ouch! Resound Australia 4 May 31st 05 03:52 PM
Ouch! Joel Mayes Australia 0 May 31st 05 10:09 AM
Ouch, my bum! Michael Warner Australia 4 May 25th 05 11:25 PM
ouch jamie g UK 8 January 29th 04 12:08 PM