Slightly cruel cycling related thought

Old February 27th 06, 02:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Slightly cruel cycling related thought

This morning my spouse headed out to the
garage to drive to work. Discovered the
car had an utterly flat battery. I wasn't
able to jump-start it with the other car
battery. She was leaving early (7am) to
go to the gym before work. Her (quite new) bike
was leaning against my work bench. She
should have ridden (about 20km) - that way,
no flat battery problem and no need to go
to the gym! I did not vocalise these thoughts,
perhaps this evening....

In her defence, it's going to be 37 today
and the first 5km is along pretty horrible
roads/paths.

And I can't talk, I usually drive now as
the 2yo and I are too heavy for my bike
and I had two 6yo girls to drop off at school.

DeF

--
e-mail:
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.
Old February 27th 06, 02:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF wrote:

This morning my spouse headed out to the
garage to drive to work. Discovered the
car had an utterly flat battery. I wasn't
able to jump-start it with the other car
battery. She was leaving early (7am) to
go to the gym before work. Her (quite new) bike
was leaning against my work bench. She
should have ridden (about 20km) - that way,
no flat battery problem and no need to go
to the gym! I did not vocalise these thoughts,
perhaps this evening....

In her defence, it's going to be 37 today
and the first 5km is along pretty horrible
roads/paths.

And I can't talk, I usually drive now as
the 2yo and I are too heavy for my bike
and I had two 6yo girls to drop off at school.

DeF

Yours sounds like more of a reason than an excuse... although how far is
the school? Can't you walk? Can the girls ride?

If the spouse doesn't want to ride because the first 5km is so horrible,
then perhaps it's time to start writing some letters to get it fixed
up...

Tam
Old February 27th 06, 05:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:
DeF wrote:
[...]

The school is in walking distance although my daughter's
friend finds it hard. Like lots of kids, she gets driven
too much and not walked enough. I used to walk them to
school wheeling my bike with son in the baby seat. Since
he got too big I've been driving more. I've thought of a trailer
but the route is not trailer friendly. Soon the lad will be
at school and I'll be able to ride from there to work on my own.

The first 5km of the ride to work for spouse would be on busy,
slightly hilly main roads. Peak hour traffic in Perth is not
for the feint hearted and she's not that experienced on a bike.
Generally, riding Perth is pretty good but there are large areas
which are poorly served. Will try and organise to ride with her
one day.

DeF.

Old February 27th 06, 05:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
DeF wrote:
[...]

Don't you have a stroller or something you can push him in?

Is the route not trailer friendly because it's very convoluted or just
the traffic?

It sounds like you were doing a good thing for your daughter's friend,
making her walk, and it's a shame for you to drive them (which you don't
seem to like) - there must be some solution! (come on everyone,
think...)

The first 5km of the ride to work for spouse would be on busy,
slightly hilly main roads. Peak hour traffic in Perth is not
for the feint hearted and she's not that experienced on a bike.
Generally, riding Perth is pretty good but there are large areas
which are poorly served. Will try and organise to ride with her
one day.

Make that day sooner, rather than later. I'm sure she'll get her
confidence up very quickly. Or else threaten to sell her bike ;-)

Tam
Old February 27th 06, 07:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:28:44 +0800
DeF wrote:

The school is in walking distance although my daughter's
friend finds it hard. Like lots of kids, she gets driven
too much and not walked enough. I used to walk them to

Is it walking via main roads? I was cycling to school from grade 1
on - the first few trips Dad walked with me, but after the first week
I rode on my own.

All suburban streets though, no main roads.

Zebee
Old February 27th 06, 08:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF wrote:
The school is in walking distance although my daughter's
friend finds it hard. Like lots of kids, she gets driven
too much and not walked enough. I used to walk them to

Is it walking via main roads? I was cycling to school from grade 1
on - the first few trips Dad walked with me, but after the first week
I rode on my own.

All suburban streets though, no main roads.

Zebee

It's suburban roads. There's just a couple of places
where idiots drive to fast in the 4WDs. I might be an
over-anxious parent but I'm not about to let my 6yo walk
or ride to school by herself. Anyway, the original problem
with me riding more is my 2.5yo boy and my combined weight
being too much for my MTB commuter. Spokes have been
going "spoing" in the rear wheel. The riding route to
work/daycare is not good for a trailer. As well as a couple
of traffic control points (you know, those metal hoops
that are meant to slow riders down and stop motorbikes), I'm
concerned about the extra vulnerability due to the reduced
manoeuvrability of the bike/trailer combination. Plus I'd
have to lay out extra cash...

DeF.

Old February 27th 06, 09:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF wrote:

[...]

All this does beg the question...
Why was the car battery flat?
Could it have something to do with turning the Corolla into a childs
playground "ALL THOSE SWITCHES!!!!"
Trailer bike? Tag along thing? Cmon its more bike bling Dunc!
Old February 27th 06, 11:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF Wrote:
This morning my spouse headed out to the
garage to drive to work. Discovered the
car had an utterly flat battery.

Can you all jump in the car (bike on back of car) and drive past the
hairy bit,drop everyone off... (admittedly youd have to adjust your
depature times..)

Meeba

Old February 27th 06, 10:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle

DeF Wrote:
Peak hour traffic in Perth is not
for the feint hearted

As opposed to peak hour in Sydney or Melbourne?

You have to learn to deal with it, or change your working hours so
they're not 9-5.

Melbourne has reasonable cycling infrastructure, but the 5km trip down
St Kilda Rd is likely to see about 5 near misses per trip (and it has
bike lanes). It's all about staying alert (but not alarmed).

--
Shabby

Old February 28th 06, 12:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Gumby wrote:
DeF wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:,

----SNIP----

work/daycare is not good for a trailer. As well as a couple
of traffic control points (you know, those metal hoops
that are meant to slow riders down and stop motorbikes), I'm
concerned about the extra vulnerability due to the reduced
manoeuvrability of the bike/trailer combination. Plus I'd
have to lay out extra cash...

DeF.

All this does beg the question...
Why was the car battery flat?
Could it have something to do with turning the Corolla into a childs
playground "ALL THOSE SWITCHES!!!!"
Trailer bike? Tag along thing? Cmon its more bike bling Dunc!

Yeah, well we didn't determine why the battery was flat but I
think your hypothesis is a good one. I suspect door not properly
closed.

Trailer bike is an idea. I'd be able to put some rear panniers on
then (after burning one of my front panniers). Not sure if the 2.5yo
is up to it though. He might just decide to get off at any time he
saw an interesting looking bit of dirt on the side of the road. At
least with the child seat he's strapped in. I reckon those trailer
bikes are over priced for what they are.

Gotta do something though - I don't like driving.

DeF