Con Jobs

Old August 10th 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tom Kunich

Default Con Jobs

Wow, I can hardly believe the number of con jobs that I've gotten while
trying to sell a couple of bikes.

If you're selling anything on the internet be extremely careful and DO NOT
send anything without first having the money in hand. And made sure that the
ONLY way you accept payment is with a postal money order or a cashiers check
from a reputable bank that you've cashed and deposited already.

Old August 10th 10, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
bfd

On Aug 10, 4:28*am, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
Wow, I can hardly believe the number of con jobs that I've gotten while
trying to sell a couple of bikes.

If you're selling anything on the internet be extremely careful and DO NOT
send anything without first having the money in hand. And made sure that the
ONLY way you accept payment is with a postal money order or a cashiers check
from a reputable bank that you've cashed and deposited already.

Agree. Add in the total amount of spam you find in the rec.bicycle
series newsgroup and you start to see why this format has declined
over the years. Others may disagree, but all of the groups I follow
seem to have decline. On the flip side, I see more and more ads for
things like prada/vuitton/armani bags, belts and shoes. What those
have to do with bicycle is a mystery to me....personally, I prefer to
sell stuff in CL or, gulp, ebay. Even then, there is still alot of
fraud on those sites, so caution is highly recommended. Good Luck!
Old August 10th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tim McNamara

In article
,
bfd wrote:

On Aug 10, 4:28*am, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
Wow, I can hardly believe the number of con jobs that I've gotten while
trying to sell a couple of bikes.

If you're selling anything on the internet be extremely careful and DO NOT
send anything without first having the money in hand. And made sure that the
ONLY way you accept payment is with a postal money order or a cashiers check
from a reputable bank that you've cashed and deposited already.

Agree. Add in the total amount of spam you find in the rec.bicycle
series newsgroup and you start to see why this format has declined
over the years.

That would be that amount of spam *you* see. I see almost none- or
example this was the only thread I see in r.b.m. right now- but I use a
news server and a newsreader instead of Google Groups.

Others may disagree, but all of the groups I follow seem to have
decline.

Some of that is due to competition from Web-based boards, which I find
uniformly intolerable. I had hoped Ajax would help but it hasn't so
far. Some of it is due to major ISPs no longer offering news servers in
a bid to maximize profits. And some of it is due to many Internet users
not even knowing that Usenet exists (even many Google Groups users).

On the flip side, I see more and more ads for things like
prada/vuitton/armani bags, belts and shoes. What those have to do
with bicycle is a mystery to me....personally, I prefer to sell stuff
in CL or, gulp, ebay. Even then, there is still alot of fraud on
those sites, so caution is highly recommended. Good Luck!

Caveat emptor *and* seller these days.

--
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo.
Old August 11th 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
bfd

On Aug 10, 12:34*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

*bfd wrote:
On Aug 10, 4:28*am, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
Wow, I can hardly believe the number of con jobs that I've gotten while
trying to sell a couple of bikes.

If you're selling anything on the internet be extremely careful and DO NOT
send anything without first having the money in hand. And made sure that the
ONLY way you accept payment is with a postal money order or a cashiers check
from a reputable bank that you've cashed and deposited already.

Agree. Add in the total amount of spam you find in the rec.bicycle
series newsgroup and you start to see why this format has declined
over the years.

That would be that amount of spam *you* see. *I see almost none- or
example this was the only thread I see in r.b.m. right now- but I use a
news server and a newsreader instead of Google Groups.

Well there you go! Unfortunately, I'm not as well verse as you in
using news servers and newsreaders as I only know how to access this
site via google groups (which was previously dejanews). I believe
there are a lot of people like me and if they see nothing but spam and
other *crapola,* then that will affect the amount of users on this and
other wreck.bike newsgroups.

Others may disagree, but all of the groups I follow seem to have
decline.

Some of that is due to competition from Web-based boards, which I find
uniformly intolerable. *I had hoped Ajax would help but it hasn't so
far. *Some of it is due to major ISPs no longer offering news servers in
a bid to maximize profits. *And some of it is due to many Internet users
not even knowing that Usenet exists (even many Google Groups users).

What is Ajax?

On the flip side, I see *more and more ads for things like
prada/vuitton/armani bags, belts and shoes. What those have to do
with bicycle is a mystery to me....personally, I prefer to sell stuff
in CL or, gulp, ebay. Even then, there is still alot of fraud on
those sites, so caution is highly recommended. Good Luck!

Caveat emptor *and* seller these days.

Agree, thanks!

Old August 11th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Tim McNamara

In article
,

*bfd wrote:
[...]

Yep, I think that's how it works. Too bad Google has no interest in
spam filtering.

Newsreaders are pretty easy to get into. Many very good ones are free-
good information is available he

http://www.newsreaders.com/

Access to a news server ranges from included-with-your-internet service
to free servers to subscriptions servers.

http://www.newsreaders.com/newsfeeds/index.html

Supernews is about $12 a year or something like that. I hard good
things about Eternal September.

Others may disagree, but all of the groups I follow seem to have
decline.

Some of that is due to competition from Web-based boards, which I
find uniformly intolerable. *I had hoped Ajax would help but it
hasn't so far. *Some of it is due to major ISPs no longer offering
news servers in a bid to maximize profits. *And some of it is due
to many Internet users not even knowing that Usenet exists (even
many Google Groups users).

What is Ajax?

Oh, sorry- it's a Web technology intended to make using web applications
faster and more like using an application on your own computer.

On the flip side, I see *more and more ads for things like
prada/vuitton/armani bags, belts and shoes. What those have to do
with bicycle is a mystery to me....personally, I prefer to sell
stuff in CL or, gulp, ebay. Even then, there is still alot of
fraud on those sites, so caution is highly recommended. Good
Luck!

Caveat emptor *and* seller these days.

Agree, thanks!

Yah. Usenet and the Internet in general put the worse devils of human
nature on display.

--
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo.