Cyclist injured in pothole crash

Old April 19th 09, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Cyclist injured in pothole crash

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old April 19th 09, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:24:24 +0100
"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show how
"keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

Old April 19th 09, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
alan.holmes

"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show how
"keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

Which is why, when I do cycle I always cycle on the pavement!

The roads are too bloody dangerous, not only potholes, but drains are often
two or three inches deep.

Old April 19th 09, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show how
"keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

"There was a big chunk taken out of my cycle helmet. If I hadn't been
wearing it, I dread to think what would have happened"

--

The BMA view of helmets:

The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.

The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries. This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.

Old April 19th 09, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian RobertsOn

"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show
how "keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

Which is why, when I do cycle I always cycle on the pavement!

The roads are too bloody dangerous, not only potholes, but drains are
often two or three inches deep.

You can't get up much speed then. I cycle on the pavement at maybe 5 or 6 in
the morning and then only at a speed where I can stop almost instantly. The
rest of the time it is a counter productive no-no.

Hey, I have had bad experiences on the road and am just recovering from an
accident that could have been extremely serious, but it really is not THAT
dangerous out there in reality.

Old April 19th 09, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...le-5-inches-de...

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Now if he had not been wearing a cycle helmet, he would have seen the
pothole & avoided it.

Francis
Old April 19th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show how
"keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

Yes, you are right. If he had taken the primary position, the accident would
not have happened in the first place.

"There was a big chunk taken out of my cycle helmet. If I hadn't been
wearing it, I dread to think what would have happened"

He should have had a full face motorcycle helmet on and his face wouldn't
have been so badly damaged.

Old April 19th 09, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show how
"keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

Avoiding pot holes and puddles is now on my list of things to *always* take
primary for.

I just hope that driver was grateful how considerate this cyclist was.
Somehow I doubt it...

Old April 19th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

Brian Robertson wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show
how "keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

Which is why, when I do cycle I always cycle on the pavement!

The roads are too bloody dangerous, not only potholes, but drains are
often two or three inches deep.

You can't get up much speed then. I cycle on the pavement at maybe 5 or 6 in
the morning and then only at a speed where I can stop almost instantly. The
rest of the time it is a counter productive no-no.

Hey, I have had bad experiences on the road and am just recovering from an
accident that could have been extremely serious, but it really is not THAT
dangerous out there in reality.

Perhaps you should only cycle when remotely sober?
Old April 19th 09, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

"Simon Mason" wrote:

At least his car's suspension wasn't trashed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-attacked.html

He said "a car was coming up behind me which meant I had to stick to
the inside line rather than go round it". Which just goes to show how
"keeping out of the way of cars" can put you in hospital.

Avoiding pot holes and puddles is now on my list of things to *always* take
primary for.

I just hope that driver was grateful how considerate this cyclist was.
Somehow I doubt it...

Do you look behind and signal before you move in to the middle of the
road?

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.