what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

Old March 16th 05, 07:11 AM
Chris Tribiono

Default what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

I'm looking into purchasing a new mountain bike.

I was hoping some of you could help in telling me what size bike frame I
should be looking for. I've been to a couple of bike shops in my county and
i'm being told 20 inch or 22 inch. I've sat on a couple of them while
looking but I don't notice too much of a difference.

I'm 6-foot-4 with a slender/slim build -- long arms and legs.

I'll basically be using the bike on flat off-road trails -- not so many
hills or anything.

I haven't had a mountain bike since I was a teenager, so this is all new to
me again as I'm in my mid-20s now.

Thanks for any and all help and feedback.

Old March 16th 05, 08:45 AM
Tim

In article , Chris Tribiono wrote:
I'm looking into purchasing a new mountain bike.

I was hoping some of you could help in telling me what size bike frame I
should be looking for. I've been to a couple of bike shops in my county and
i'm being told 20 inch or 22 inch. I've sat on a couple of them while
looking but I don't notice too much of a difference.

I'm 6-foot-4 with a slender/slim build -- long arms and legs.

I'll basically be using the bike on flat off-road trails -- not so many
hills or anything.

I haven't had a mountain bike since I was a teenager, so this is all new to
me again as I'm in my mid-20s now.

Thanks for any and all help and feedback.

I'm 6'5"and my XC bike has a 21" frame. Possibly more important
than nominal frame size are standover height and reach to handlebars. If
either of those are miles out you'll really struggle to make the bike
fit you.

Try both the 22" and 20" frames and buy the bike that feels most
comfortable and has enough knacker clearance

--
Tim.
Old March 16th 05, 04:57 PM
JD

Bike sizing is different for most companies because of different
measuring points and frame design. Try out as many as you can and the
one that feels right will be the best fitt for you, regardless of size
listed. If you're going to ride flat offroad trails, you should be ok
with a larger frame and a parking lot test ride should work well.

JD at 6'-7"

Old March 16th 05, 09:00 PM
Fred Fragger

Christ, what do they feed you guys on?

Fred

5' 10.5"

Old March 16th 05, 09:23 PM
broken toy

"Fred Fragger" wrote in message
Christ, what do they feed you guys on?

Fred

5' 10.5"

fried foods, here.

mark - 6'3"

Old March 16th 05, 09:26 PM

Way Big or a 21-23

Old March 16th 05, 09:40 PM
S o r n i

Fred Fragger wrote:
Christ, what do they feed you guys on?

Plates?

Old March 16th 05, 11:58 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Chris Tribiono:
I was hoping some of you could help in telling me what size bike frame I
should be looking for.

I'm 6'5".

I'd say that you're in the area of desired handlebar height possibly being a
determining factor.

Do you already have an MTB? If so, you probably know what height you want.
If not, that could be an important issue if you like them up around saddle
height.
--
PeteCresswell