A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old February 27th 18, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 04:41:54 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Hardly ridicule :-) Ever see a terminology
poster on the wall of a shop where people
actually knew what they were doing?

I initially trained as a machinist in a shop
where actual "Machinists" worked.
The Apprentice Master had gone to work as an
apprentice himself when he was 14 years old
and was nearly 70 years old when I knew him.

Not a poster in sight.


OK, so I shouldn't do it, just because some
one-dimensional guy you knew didn't do it all
his long life?

Why are you telling me this, really?


Why shouldn't you do it? After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.

But why one-dimensional? A guy who was well enough known in the trade
that people called him when they had problems?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Ads
  #12  
Old February 27th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

John B. wrote:

After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.


So if you use a poster you are not competent
enough, and if you don't use a poster you are
a master?

It is just a bike!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #13  
Old February 28th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 23:24:01 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.


So if you use a poster you are not competent
enough, and if you don't use a poster you are
a master?

It is just a bike!


The poster has nothing to do with it. The whole point is whether you
know what you are talking about, or not. If you need a poster on the
wall to tell you the name of the parts then you obviously don't know
what you are talking about.
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #14  
Old February 28th 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

John B. wrote:

The whole point is whether you know what you
are talking about, or not. If you need
a poster on the wall to tell you the name of
the parts then you obviously don't know what
you are talking about.


Illogical. Something can't be so difficult so
that doing it without a poster for
70-14=56 years earns you respect, while at the
same time so easy that if you use a poster to
do it half a dozen of times, you don't
know jack.

I don't consider documentation for anything as
"cheating" or unprofessional, on the contrary.

If anyone brags about doing it without
documentation to enlarge the accomplishment,
I interpret this as whatever it is that is done
actually isn't that difficult to begin with.

Speaking generally, tho I suspect it applies
just fine to v-brakes...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #15  
Old March 2nd 18, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

This one is a Mustang from Trelleborg. It has
a "Gel" saddle from Bianchi and the
Shimano 5SP Positron shifter with a single
chainring. Perhaps somewhat surprisingly it
has a kickstand and a rack. The tires are
32-630 or 27x1-1/4.


Today I got the shifting to work!

The only challenge was that the adjustment
screw was behind a plate with a hole in it,
only this hole is too small for all my bits
drivers to enter, so an ordinary, thin PH2 made
it happen.

Altho I measured the old chain pin length to
around 8mm, maybe 8.1, I put on a
KMC Z8RB chain which is 1/2x3/32" with
a 7.1mm (9/32") pin length. I suppose it is
intended for 8S casettes but it worked fine for
the Positron FHEM 5S - at least all sprockets
are reachable when the bike is in the stand.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #16  
Old March 4th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 220
Default Shimano Tourney Centerpull brake

John B. wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 23:24:01 +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. wrote:

After all if you don't know the name of
things you need help.


So if you use a poster you are not competent
enough, and if you don't use a poster you are
a master?

It is just a bike!


The poster has nothing to do with it. The whole point is whether you
know what you are talking about, or not. If you need a poster on the
wall to tell you the name of the parts then you obviously don't know
what you are talking about.


Please also send him a poster on how to tell grenades from normal scrap!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/world/europe/sweden-crime-immigration-hand-grenades.html
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Integrate Shimano Tourney V-brake/shifters trouble shifting. Sir Ridesalot Techniques 7 August 7th 17 09:30 PM
Solution for Impossible to Find Gran Compe 450 centerpull brake Straddle Cables Gary Jacobson Techniques 0 February 5th 07 10:06 PM
How to mount Old Weinmann centerpull brake pads "Toe-in" ddog Techniques 15 January 5th 07 02:24 PM
Shimano Sora group components compared to early 90's tourney justareader Techniques 18 May 9th 05 08:37 PM
Older Shimano Tourney sidepull brakes me Techniques 3 March 26th 05 08:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.