aramid fiber

Old February 8th 18, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default aramid fiber

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 01:16:54 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Maxxis Detonator 23x622 clinchers have Kevlar
wire. Making the tire more straight/strong
and/or lighter while making the bike
more expensive?

Well, replacing some plain old steel wire with an exotic synthetic
material is very likely to increase prices :-) On the other hand the
synthetic's are about ten gm lighter, if that is important.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 18, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

I have now played a couple of games with the
"composite" stick (CFRP + Kevlar/aramid).

The weight, including tape, stopped at 490g
compared to my old wood/glass fiber which was
809g. This was certainly noticable in many
positive ways.

But in one way, the old wood stick was better
and that was its comfort! With this, new one,
it felt like every blow to it went straight
thru and into my hands and forearms - really
painful!

I suppose the fibers of wood are less straight,
or more circular (?), or something that makes
them not carry thru vibrations the same way?

Is this something one would notice with carbon
bikes as well, compared to steel frames/forks,
or do the wheels absorb most of it before it
finds its way all the way into the body?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 28th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/27/2018 5:14 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I have now played a couple of games with the
"composite" stick (CFRP + Kevlar/aramid).

The weight, including tape, stopped at 490g
compared to my old wood/glass fiber which was
809g. This was certainly noticable in many
positive ways.

But in one way, the old wood stick was better
and that was its comfort! With this, new one,
it felt like every blow to it went straight
thru and into my hands and forearms - really
painful!

I suppose the fibers of wood are less straight,
or more circular (?), or something that makes
them not carry thru vibrations the same way?

Is this something one would notice with carbon
bikes as well, compared to steel frames/forks,
or do the wheels absorb most of it before it
finds its way all the way into the body?

What sort of stick? Like a police baton? Wood works pretty
well to ensure the message is received(personal experience).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 28th 18, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

What sort of stick? Like a police baton?
Wood works pretty well to ensure the message
is received(personal experience).

Ha ha, what did you do? Student street rally?

Stick = ice hockey stick. The composite stick
material is what has elevated the game to
a whole new skill level. That, and new methods
with training but yes, to a large extent the
new stick material.

To me, it doesn't really elevate anything, it
is just a nice toy, but the kids make the most
of it for sure...

Old February 28th 18, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 27/02/2018 6:14 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I have now played a couple of games with the
"composite" stick (CFRP + Kevlar/aramid).

The weight, including tape, stopped at 490g
compared to my old wood/glass fiber which was
809g. This was certainly noticable in many
positive ways.

But in one way, the old wood stick was better
and that was its comfort! With this, new one,
it felt like every blow to it went straight
thru and into my hands and forearms - really
painful!

I suppose the fibers of wood are less straight,
or more circular (?), or something that makes
them not carry thru vibrations the same way?

Is this something one would notice with carbon
bikes as well, compared to steel frames/forks,
or do the wheels absorb most of it before it
finds its way all the way into the body?

Is there any particular reason that you think the parameters for a
hockey stick would be similar to a bike?

One thing noticeable about composite hockey sticks is that they break a
lot more than wooden ones.
Old February 28th 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Duane wrote:

Is there any particular reason that you think
the parameters for a hockey stick would be
similar to a bike?

Yes, the material.

Old February 28th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 28/02/2018 11:51 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane wrote:

Is there any particular reason that you think
the parameters for a hockey stick would be
similar to a bike?

Yes, the material.

Material is not a parameter. A parameter is an operating consideration.

I seldom try to apply 100 lb stress for a slap shot with my bike. At
least not intentionally. But the hockey stick is intended to do this
when loading the stick. I expect when my bike was designed the stress
parameters were different.

Carbon Fiber and You [email protected] Techniques 19 August 31st 17 05:01 PM
aramid bead on non-hook rim? Jim Smith Techniques 3 May 4th 05 11:11 PM
GT STS Carbon Fiber XTR Yammie Off Road 0 April 18th 05 07:05 PM
Ti vs. Carbon Fiber Edward General 38 March 10th 05 07:52 AM
The best use of Carbon Fiber I've ever seen. . . Wheels by BFWG Marketplace 1 February 28th 05 06:42 PM